By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

my first attempt to a soaring bird for the PSSA MB 2020?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

McG 696905/10/2020 18:31:13
3407 forum posts
1296 photos

Thanks for the kind words, lady. kiss

I must say that your 'sound system' guy looks quite 'cute' staring at you...

As soon as it will be possible, I'll concentrate on the Dog again. That wing seat Aliphatic glue must be well cured now.

I've got myself a new 'toy' as well now in the shape of a Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D printer. Still a lot to read, to build up and try to understand.

But I'll get slowly into it, combining it with the Dog... angel

Cheers & stay careful, gents

Chris

McG 696908/10/2020 19:37:23
3407 forum posts
1296 photos

Hello again,

I must admit I’ve been a bit distracted by my new toy. Assembling of the Ender 3 has been quite straight forward but I’m still in a bit of a fight with that Cura slicer app… cool

Back to the Dog then.

Both fuselage strips were indeed totally cured.

1606_wingseat01_900.jpg

Next is to fill in the cross-grained bits to join the planking with F14 on both sides.

Nothing complicated but a lot of measuring hence a lot slower than normal planking… frown

Hakuna matata & stay safe all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Cura Control

McG 696910/10/2020 20:43:53
3407 forum posts
1296 photos

Hello out there,

I thought naively that one session at La Grotte would get this job cleared.

Nope… I needed two full sessions, being very probably a ‘very slow’ apprentice… blush

1611_wingseat02_900.jpg

The port side has been roughly sanded while the starboard one will be next when the Aliphatic is dry.

1613_wingseat03_900.jpg

Apologies for the pics being slightly out of focus, but I guess the poor light gave a quite narrow depth of field. Are we really getting some autumn/winter weather now? …

Hakuna matata & stay very careful all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Slow Apprentice Control

McG 696913/10/2020 18:48:03
3407 forum posts
1296 photos

Hi there,

I made a start at the LE fairings for the Dog.

Looking at build pics from other forumites seemed to be a waste of time as the Dog’s fuselage formers are ‘fatter’ than the F-86 ones.

Also, my belly pan is different for the same reasons… ppfff… frown

I’ll get there in the end but spending two sessions now in La Grotte with nothing to show isn’t really motivating.

While the first glued bits were prepared, glued and drying, I made a start to draw up the Sauce application and painting jig for the wing - trying to copycat Phil’s version - until I realized that I haven’t any proper wood to build it…

Some days, really… crying

Hakuna matata & stay careful

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Motivation Control

McG 696915/10/2020 18:36:49
3407 forum posts
1296 photos

Hello again,

I’m still struggling with the wing LE fairings as everything is so different. frown

The different fuse and belly pan made me decide to have the front of the fairing slightly built up at the bottom of the fuse.

1618_le_fairings01_900.jpg

It seems to correspond with the few pics I have from the underside of the Dog.

The wing side fairings were started with a 0,8mm ply plate, left to dry and built up afterwards with cut-offs of aileron stock.

We’ll get there in the end but this all seems sóó slow… but one thing ‘s for sure, sometimes Sellotape is an even better friend than Google… wink

The good news is that I found some old bits of wood thanks to a very friendly and helpful neighbour. yes

Hakuna matata & stay safe, gents

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Build Up Control

McG 696917/10/2020 18:45:15
3407 forum posts
1296 photos

Hi out there,

Not much progress to show, but here’s a better view of the LE fairing without pins.

1622_le_fairing02_900.jpg

It still looks very crude but there’s still a lot of wood to be removed before it fits the shape of the wing. Lots of secure sanding here but taking it slowly as I really don’t want to start this over again… blush

I started to make the wing jig as well. The old bits of wood aren’t really the right shape/dimensions and are totally dried out, but I’ll manage to ‘bodge’ it using glue instead of nails/screws, I hope. angel

Hakuna matata & stay careful all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Jig Wood Control

Martian17/10/2020 19:36:57
2605 forum posts
1228 photos

Good stuff Chris

Dwain Dibley.17/10/2020 22:19:24
1536 forum posts
1515 photos

Just remember Chris, you can keep adding and sanding and adding and sanding until you get the desired results.

Excellent work to date BTW, still watching with interest, despite being quiet. wink

D.D.

McG 696918/10/2020 19:11:10
3407 forum posts
1296 photos

Thank you both for visiting and certainly for commenting, gents. yes

It really helps my mojo in these 'darker' days...

I decided to 'waste' a session to my wing jig. I'm convinced that it will be very helpful in time of bringing up Fred's Sauce and for final painting later.

It just looks sóó 'agricultural' that even a primitive neolithic tribe should have done a lot better... blush

I'll very probably have to give it a lick of camo paint before showing it to the universe. frown

Cheers cocktail & keep careful, guys

Chris

David Sack18/10/2020 19:23:15
43 forum posts
45 photos

Looking very tidy indeed Sir, I think your nelolithic tribesman would be blown away ! Watching with interest as I will need to follow suite. The more pictures the better, and don't worry about the camo paint yes

McG 696919/10/2020 12:14:57
3407 forum posts
1296 photos

Thanks for visiting, David.

... concerning the 'camo', I have an old white enamel spray can which is nearly empty.

I might give it a first layer and wondering how it combines with the next oversprays of primer and final coats... cool angel

Regarding your glassing preps, I posted a comment on your build thread. Hope it helps.

Cheers & stay careful, all

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!