Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

On off switch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian Murch29/10/2019 15:41:57
63 forum posts
4 photos

The rx in my Calder Craft Primary is powered by a lead from the ESC. I would like to fit an on off switch but the one I have has 2 wires - red and black whereas the one from the ESC has 3 wires brown red and yellow.

Is there an adaptor or do I splice it into 2 of the 3 wires and if so which ones ?

Jeffrey Cottrell 229/10/2019 16:42:11
114 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Julian

Your three wires from the esc are positive (Red) negative (Black) and signal (yellow) In order to fit an on/off switch you will need to cut either the red or black (not both) and fit the switch in between.Not sure why your switch has red and black wires. If it's a standard on/off, both wires should be the same colour. Anyway, doesn't really matter which wire goes where. You have two ends of the cut wire, connect switch red to one and switch black to the other.

Do NOT cut both red and black from the esc and connect switch wires to both.

Have to ask why you want to fit an on/off switch there. If you want to disable the power, that might work but it's not 100% reliable.

To properly disable the motor, better to get a bigger switch and connect in the power wire from the battery, or better still make it easy to unplug the battery.

Cheers

Jeff

Phil Green29/10/2019 16:43:42
1595 forum posts
339 photos

Thats not a good plan Julian, with your new switch "off" your ESC and hence motors are still powered up until you unplug the lipo itself.
As the model appears to be switched off you might well forget and so fully discharge and thus destroy the lipo.

Also its not safe practise to effectively leave the signal input of a powered-up ESC floating, it could pick up noise and spin up.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 29/10/2019 16:47:11

Julian Murch29/10/2019 17:22:05
63 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks for the advice. The battery plug is easy to reach so I will not fit the switch.

Jeffrey Cottrell 229/10/2019 18:52:42
114 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Julian, another thought.

Not sure why you want to fit an on/off switch, but the obvious reason would be to make it safer carrying a powered up model to the flight line.
If that's so, bear in mind that is is possible to configure one of the switches on your transmitter to throttle hold set to zero throttle.
Means you have to switch on before the throttle will operate, so you can do your control checks with the motor disabled.

Much safer that way

Jeff

Julian Murch30/10/2019 08:45:37
63 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks Jeff that sounds a good idea.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!