Forum sponsored by CML

Need new Dehumidifier

Any recs?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dove from above31/10/2019 21:43:32
20 forum posts
3 photos

I was wary of Dehumidifiers but tried a small one a few years back and was surprised the amount of water it removed.

This was a single room size,so I did a search online and Ebac was recommended on some sites ,so got a 4 room size machine,

When it worked it worked very well BUT just after warranty the performance dropped badly.

After taking the case off I was surprised how shoddy the machine was put together so will not go with Ebac again. I think I paid in the region of £300 ,do not want to have this happen again,

Anyone using something they can comment or recommend?

I know the best thing to do is open windows but its not always possible.

Handyman31/10/2019 23:03:42
214 forum posts
1 photos

Hi, if you have a Lidl's store near you,they are selling Humidifiers and De-Humidifiers at £39.99 each. Lidls stuff is usually of a good quality. Worth a punt. To be honest I tend to buy a box of de-humidifiers,the small ones and they seem to work quite well and last up to six months before they are full and have to be disposed of in the recycling bin!

Dad_flyer31/10/2019 23:34:23
214 forum posts
248 photos

I had Ebac ones at work and did not find them good. Meaco had good reviews, so we have a 12l at home. They are supposed to be better at dealing with dampness in cold air, which is what I have. It has done well, I don't remember how long we have had it. 2/3 years?

Stephen Jones31/10/2019 23:47:03
2784 forum posts
1604 photos

Hi do not know if any good but Lidl are doing them.

Dehumidifier

Silentnight .

Steve

Cuban801/11/2019 09:46:35
2867 forum posts
1 photos

How about reducing the source of condensation? It's surprising how much water vapour is generated by normal cooking or just making several cups of tea throughout the day. Having a bath or taking a shower is also a massive source of airborne dampness that finds its way to the rest of the house.

An aquarium pumps loads of water into the air as my son in law is finding out now. People are a surprisingly large source of water vapour via exhaled breath, hence why bedroom windows suffer from mould on the frames etc. Not too much to be done about that unless you're a fresh air fiend and can sleep with the windows open (not me).

We began to have a problem with condensation a while back when I went to town fixing draughty windows and doors, but by having an extractor fan running (vented to outside) when the kitchen and bathroom are in use and also on timer has reduced the problem to next to nothing now.

Not convinced by domestic dehumidifiers they need to be run continuously to have a worthwhile effect and at around 250W for even a small unit or around 400/500W for a 20L model your leccy bill will soar.

Ace01/11/2019 10:42:24
291 forum posts
17 photos

We have a Comet (gives you some idea of how old) DH10, 10l per day that's just come out of retirement after re-plastering several rooms - works brilliantly still. Downside 250w per hour running. As Cuban mentioned sort source if possible.

Not quite the same (newer model) but on sale at Machine Mart. Clarke DH10 sale

J D 801/11/2019 10:56:14
1389 forum posts
79 photos

Have had a Delonghi D E S 12 some years, works well.

RC Plane Flyer01/11/2019 12:01:36
688 forum posts
19 photos

I have a unit that came from Screwfix some years ago around £100 mark have it on a timer for 5 hours day very little problem did have to strip down recently to tighten the compressor fixings and good clean on the water drain system after recent building works

(Fingers crossed now)

Bruce Collinson01/11/2019 13:50:57
475 forum posts

20 yr old Mitsubishi, still works fine, only ever cleaned out fluff from the air filter. Not cheap as I recall, but you get etc.

BTC

Stuart Z01/11/2019 16:39:39
390 forum posts

Meaco DLL, working in the garage for many years and still in use when the gas heater is on. Had one in the conservatory as well. Very pleased with it.

You can have it “ plumbed “ in so it drains out the door or use the inboard tank.

S

Dove from above04/11/2019 20:03:33
20 forum posts
3 photos

Regards costs, 250w running for 24hrs,is that not around £1??

I must admit the Ebac was a biggish unit,20l and I did not really notice a high cost.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CADMA
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us