Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

DB Sport and Scale 1/4 Pup Battery Hatch Details

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
George P.07/11/2019 09:44:39
48 forum posts
20 photos

I thought I would share my battery access arrangements on my Pup should it prove useful for anyone considering converting from ic to electric and wondering about access for the flight pack. With my limited building skills, I am sure many here could do a far better job but thought it might prove useful to someone contemplating how they would tackle the task to suit them.

I spent some time pondering the possibilities but in the end the side hatch/cheek seemed the better option and has turned out well. Here is the hatch/ side cheek.pup hatch 2.jpg

Edited By George P. on 07/11/2019 10:16:22

George P.07/11/2019 09:47:04
48 forum posts
20 photos

I was concerned about the resulting fit of the cheek/hatch but I am happy with it.

pup hatch 3.jpg

George P.07/11/2019 09:51:37
48 forum posts
20 photos

I made a rail for the Lipo tray to run in and to keep it in place.

pup hatch 4.jpg

George P.07/11/2019 10:01:20
48 forum posts
20 photos

The Lipo tray. I had lots of 6s lipos and wanted to use them. I use two batteries but wired to give double the capacity with the same voltage. This was mainly to have useful weight as far forward as possible and still practical. I have a plan B should I need to move the C of G further forward but it appears to balance on the plan C of G with the two 6s lipos. Two formers in front of the Lipos also prevent any movement.

pup hatch 5.jpg

George P.07/11/2019 10:03:10
48 forum posts
20 photos

I made the hatch on the cheek functioning so I could choose to extend lipos wires outside to connect up but it is easy to do it with the cheek hatch off anyway.

George P.07/11/2019 10:04:04
48 forum posts
20 photos

Oops... forgot picture!

pup hatch 6.jpg

George P.07/11/2019 10:10:54
48 forum posts
20 photos

Hatch/ cheek is held on with magnets. The belcrank prevents the tray from sliding out ( I intend to add further security with a short length of piano wire to ensure the belcrank can't move once in position.

I need to make and fit the machine gun, final check of the rigging wires and I am ready to maiden.

Geoff Sleath07/11/2019 12:29:28
3496 forum posts
319 photos

Ready to maiden? You don't need a gun for that George Let me know when you're ready because I want to be there when you do.

I assume your batteries are mounted across the fuselage from your photos. It doesn't look like they're very much forward of the CoG but if it balances then that's all that's needed. Is there any lead at all? It looks a neat arrangement but I hope you intend a battery strap in addition to the Velcro.

It gives me hope that I'll get away with minmal ballast because I intend 2 batteries (4S rather than 6S) right up behind the firewall dropped in place through a top hatch.

Geoff

George P.07/11/2019 12:48:17
48 forum posts
20 photos

Hi Geoff,

No need for a battery strap as the batteries are a snug fit up against front formers. May have to add one if I use slimmer batteries some time (if they puff up too much they will not fit...perhaps not a bad thing). There is airflow over the batteries and this should escape through the cockpit/ around the pilot. Or if needed I can add the tailskid inspection gap/hole.

I will check the CoG again when I check out the rigging but it seems to work; I've fitted a substantial dummy motor that really helps.

Edited By George P. on 07/11/2019 12:50:04

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us