By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Building Board Cover

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ChrisH12/11/2019 23:50:58
22 forum posts

I can find any number of threads on here regarding materials to be used as building boards, and am indeed using a plywood base with a plasterboard topping as recommended by numerous postees, but no-one seems to list what they use as a non-stick transparent cover for the board.

I have seen suggested somewhere kitchen greaseproof paper, but is that wide enough and clear enough I wonder (we currently don't have any to check!). But it seems like some sort of plastic sheeting would do, but what to buy, in a roll wide enough, and at a cheap enough price (as it's presumably a disposable item? ( I presume the sheet needs to be wide enough to cover in one as a joint down the middle would not be good, I wouldn't have thought).

What do folks use?

Chris

Geoff S13/11/2019 00:40:13
3689 forum posts
29 photos

If you mean plan protection during building then I've been using cling film for years. The fact that it often isn't wide enough to cover a whole plan isn't a problem; I just overlap it as necessary. It's so thin and transparent it's not noticed. In fact, as I use magnetic blocks for building rather than pins, the lack of holes means I can be supermean and reuse it when building smaller structures like, say, ailerons.

Geoff

Kevin Fairgrieve13/11/2019 06:57:14
1677 forum posts
2980 photos

Cling film for larger models or grease proof paper for smaller models.

And SLEC do a sheet of plastic plan protector.

Link to the product here. Plan Glue Protection Sheet 600mm x 3000mm

HTH

Kev

Flying Robert13/11/2019 07:30:10
5 forum posts

Wickes sell polythene dust sheets for a couple of quid. Clear plastic and can be cut to size

big enough for your 1/4 scale B52 or a hundred DB Tinkers (probably) !

ChrisH13/11/2019 17:34:19
22 forum posts

Thanks Guys, problem solved - perfect.

A 1/4 scale B52, now that would be some model !

Chris

Doc Marten13/11/2019 23:16:34
613 forum posts
7 photos

Clear florist wrap.

Martin_K18/11/2019 10:59:32
176 forum posts

Be warned, kitchen cling film can be glued.

I have started gluing a wing this morning, my first use of Deluxe Rocket Hot super thin cyano. Working direct from the bottle a bigger drop than I anticipated came out. Penetration of the joint was excellent, right through to the film, from which a patch tore when I tried to lift the part.

There is no way the cling film is coming off. It has crinkled where the glue made contact. Best I could do was sand down the peaks of the crinkles.

I have some applicator nozzles and tube which I will try in future, to limit glue flow.

Craig Carr19/11/2019 06:36:29
713 forum posts
505 photos
Posted by Martin_K on 18/11/2019 10:59:32:

Be warned, kitchen cling film can be glued.

I have started gluing a wing this morning, my first use of Deluxe Rocket Hot super thin cyano. Working direct from the bottle a bigger drop than I anticipated came out. Penetration of the joint was excellent, right through to the film, from which a patch tore when I tried to lift the part.

There is no way the cling film is coming off. It has crinkled where the glue made contact. Best I could do was sand down the peaks of the crinkles.

I have some applicator nozzles and tube which I will try in future, to limit glue flow.

Yes ive given up on cling film now for same reason. It used to work but I did read on here somewhere it’s only a specific make that won’t allow glue to penetrate..... and I don’t know which one that is.

florists wrap for me all day long yes

PatMc19/11/2019 22:56:14
4427 forum posts
538 photos

I use the backing protective plastic from Solarfilm etc saved from previous builds.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!