Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Hobby king delivery charges

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Don Fry18/11/2019 12:00:13
4124 forum posts
48 photos

Not quite so Nigel, ParcelForce are just being jobsworth on internal UK packages. When they get involved with international carriers, and in this case mostly Holland for HobbyKing, they fall in line to common practice.

Or not get involved with international trade. Hence they shift it.

Cuban819/11/2019 13:41:25
2809 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 18/11/2019 09:30:19:
Posted by Cuban8 on 13/11/2019 12:34:45:

As always, a value judgement by the individual as to what one is prepared to pay. I don't worry too much about delivery charges these days, I shop around of course as one or two on-line shops are a bit on the heavy side compared to some. Depending on what it is in terms of size and weight, £20 for delivery would bit much say for a servo but for a large box, maybe a kit, then the bother and expense of a lengthy drive and one's time does come into play if you don't have a model shop nearby (as most of us don't these days).

I ordered a gyro from Banggood yesterday, first time I've used them - postage was a couple of quid, tracked and insured 5-10 day delivery which I thought was pretty reasonable coming from the other side of the planet. Dispatched this morning according to their email.

According to tracking, my parcel arrived at Heathrow yesterday! So far, so good, for a couple of quids worth of postage. Lets see what our people can do with itwink

Arrived this morning delivered by our postie. Only £14 and a small package, but still very good value for a couple of quid tracked postage.

Gary Manuel19/11/2019 13:54:20
1983 forum posts
1514 photos

I ordered Six 6s 5000mAh LiPo's last Thursday (I was offered 20% discount and couldn't resist using it). Got the following apology from HK on Monday. It looks like postage of large LiPo's is genuinely becoming an issue - note the reference to the word "dangerous":

Dear Gary Manuel,

Our sincere apologies for the delay with your order xxxxxxxxxx. We have made a follow up regarding this and was told by the warehouse that we are experiencing delays in shipment of orders that has dangerous item on it.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and delay. We are implementing measures to ensure that this does not happen again.

Your order will be picked up by GC distribution by Tuesday 19th November, 2019. and will be available for delivery within 3-5 days. Thank you for your understanding. Please also review your valid number given in this order as the Courier will contact you 1 hour before delivery. Failing to do so and not being able to sign for the parcel will result in re-delivery charges. If you intend to have your neighbor sign for your parcel, please also advise us so we may relay this information to our courier.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

HobbyKing Support Team

Erfolg20/11/2019 22:45:51
11430 forum posts
1216 photos

From my experiences HK delivery charges are pretty much the same as their competitors.

It does seem however that because HK use the PO, the charges in the UK are higher for small items than Amazon, who now seem more often than not use their own couriers. It seems that with small items that the PO charging regime, increases significantly once you move away from the letter. I just hope that UK carriers are not ham strung by restrictions to compete post election.

More often than not if the choice is the UK or the Netherlands, the Netherlands will be cheaper.

The postal service from Hong Kong now seems to be set to encourage European warehouses. Although for small items it has to be Hong Kong, even with a £14 limit, you can still obtain very good value, if the UK, MS is the baseline.

I have been caught once for exceeding the personal import limit by 50p (my mistake), although the PO charge was not a deal breaker. I have also had one of those stickers about EU, something or other, although it was an order for about £4, as I needed some "C" clips,HK seeming to be the only practical source for me. As a back order it came through on a priority post route. Could that have raised suspicions of a higher value?

Erfolg21/11/2019 10:53:45
11430 forum posts
1216 photos

Last night I was thinking, contemplating recent events, as I drifted into sleep.

This week I have made a number of purchases from Amazon, what has struck me that all the purchases that come direct from Amazon, pop through my letter box, just after I have clicked confirmed order. I know, an exaggeration, yet that is almost how it seems. Both the ordering process is ultra slick, delivery is very similar.

I find the PO still, very much as in its Nationalised, public ownership days. Some parcels are delivered quickly, some seem to go via the panama canal, around both capes and then returning via the Suez canal. Yet my switch from Leeds came early the next morning, having ordered it the previous afternoon, although it possibly did not come via the standard postie. Just a few moths back I received a unable to deliver card, yet I heard the letter box, I was sitting by the PC, adjacent to a window that looks at the front door. By the time I got to the door, read the card, opened the door, looked down the road, there was no sign of the delivery van. Other times the service has been OK, our postie himself appears to be OK, although no sign, as an organisation in wanting to be "Wold Class", as I was told as a company we were expected to be.

HK need to find a better delivery service provider.

Michael Barclay21/11/2019 13:09:56
61 forum posts
38 photos

My latest order from Hobby King EU arrived yesterday, 5 days delivery time, cost £2.70 for small parcel.

Same order from UK delivery time 2 days cost would have been £5.00.

As I order well in advance delivery time not a problem so I go with the cheapest to encourage competition.

Edited By Michael Barclay on 21/11/2019 13:10:49

Edited By Michael Barclay on 21/11/2019 13:12:25

Nigel R21/11/2019 13:11:46
3164 forum posts
486 photos

A network of local post offices, none of which are used as collection points for missed deliveries.

Depots in towns miles away, open for a short time during office hours only.

Slow deliveries.

High charges.

Jobsworths refusing your parcel when you try and post anything that isn't a letter.

The post office, what a good idea.

I'm afraid I gave up on them a long time ago.

Gary Manuel21/11/2019 15:42:46
1983 forum posts
1514 photos

My six batteries arrived today, in what looked like one of those old fashioned furniture removal vans. Looks like HK are really struggling to find people willing to deliver. Maybe because they are clearly marking the outside of the box to reflect the hazardous contents?

Despite the difficulty, the batteries are all in good order and pretty much when HK said they'd arrive.

SR 7121/11/2019 15:49:56
299 forum posts
62 photos

Maybe ill buy a couple of van and contract to deliver all hk batteries

Must be a viable operation

wingcoax21/11/2019 16:14:56
52 forum posts

Try living in Portugal, I have ordered from HK and had delivery from China inside seven days, yet ordered from Amazon in UK and no sign of delivery after three weeks. Some down to the courier and some down to the local mail system. And of course the fact we use mail boxes in groups at the side of the road.

Cuban822/11/2019 11:45:06
2809 forum posts
1 photos

Need a couple of servo reversers for the Gyro that I recently received. Hobbyking all out of stock so have just ordered X4 for a fiver with tracked 5-9 day delivery again from Banggood. Not in a hurry and the little widgets seem to get a good review on their site and elsewhere. Will see again how they do this time.

Adrian Smith 122/11/2019 14:13:39
2314 forum posts
1070 photos

Ordered 5 servos from HK UK warehouse Wednesday, (dispatched Thursday) sent by ParcelForce 48hr all for FREE, received today (Friday)! What's not like? smileyyes

Gary Manuel22/11/2019 14:28:54
1983 forum posts
1514 photos

Adrian

I think the problem with mine was that it was plastered with warnings about Batteries exploding and Fire Risks.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 22/11/2019 14:29:53

Engine Doctor22/11/2019 17:37:10
2332 forum posts
28 photos

The rules around posting batteries are mad . If I go to the post office and try to post some batteries they refuse point blank no matter what type of battery . Then I order some batteries NiMh from a company in the UK and they are delivered by the royal mail with no problem ? is it one law for consumers and another for business ?

Geoff Sleath23/11/2019 21:02:12
3488 forum posts
319 photos

I know this isn't either HobbyKing or LiPo postage but it is relevant to postage charges and UK companies service standards.

Today I ordered a couple of panel mounting 4mm gold plated sockets for my Sopwith Pup from RS components. They are rated at 32 amps and I intend to put one of them in one of the motor/esc connections with a free 4mm plug to act as a motor disable method to protect my fingers from harm whilst fitting the flight pack (I use the same method on my Gypsy Moth with great success).

The total cost, plus VAT for the pair (I was too embarrassed to order 1) is £5.24. Postage is free! I got an email later to tell me they'd been dispatched. I've ordered other oddments from RadioSpares as I still call them, usually for trivial amounts and they're sent post free. There is no way they can make a profit on such a small order.

I've been involved as a customer with RadioSpares (RS) since their catalogue was a couple of sheets of paper back in the late 1950s and their reps were regular visitors both at dad's shop and in our department at RR. They have a very comprehensive range these days and, unlike the old days, you don't have to have a trade account to buy from them.

We'll see how soon I get my connectors.

Geoff

John Tee24/11/2019 21:15:04
792 forum posts
65 photos

I was going to order 3 * 3s 2200 lipos today (value £25 pounds) until I got a quote for the postage - £33.21 from UK. Europe was £5 something. Cancelled the order and will get 2 * lipos from local shop

John

Geoff Sleath24/11/2019 22:07:32
3488 forum posts
319 photos

That's interesting. After reading your post, I did a dummy order from HK for 2x 4S Zippy 3700mAH which came to £43 and the postage charge was calculated at £20. I doubled my order and postage was free. I suppose the best idea is to join forces with friends and make collective orders to reduce postage costs.

It's OK to buy from a local shop if you're lucky enough to have one. All the ones near me have closed despite the fact I used them a lot - obviously not enough people did the same.

Geoff

PatMc24/11/2019 22:59:38
4231 forum posts
521 photos

Strange, I did a dummy order for 3 x Turnigy 3s 2200 from UK warehouse. Cost was 3 x £8.56 = £25.68 with free shipping.

From EU £25.68 + £4.16 [cheapest shipping]

cymaz24/11/2019 23:03:52
8812 forum posts
1195 photos

I’ve bought stuff from AliExpress several times, yes

Cuban825/11/2019 08:58:48
2809 forum posts
1 photos

Like Geoff, I remember the Radio Spares catalogue when it was a very slim volume indeed. Wound up being half a dozen or so 'phone book sized tomes. Haven't used them for years since retiring and assumed they were trade only as before. Not so, as Geoff says - buy as a guest at checkout and post free. Worth checking for some hard to source bits.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us