Forum sponsored by CML

RAF Chipmunk Hendon museum pics

Pictures of RAF Chipmunk in Hendon museum

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Flyer16/11/2019 09:36:43
1121 forum posts
214 photos

Here is a link to my album of pictures recently taken of the Chipmunk at the RAF museum. Hopefully it will be useful to some other builders . Im currently building a very “stand off scale” SLEC version but seeing the full size colour pictures makes it a bit easier!

**LINK**

J D 816/11/2019 10:59:55
1320 forum posts
78 photos

Very nice pic's capturing much of the detail like the " Toblerone " buffet stall warning strips on the inner wing leading edge.

Geoff Sleath16/11/2019 12:17:40
3500 forum posts
320 photos

That's a great set of pictures, Tim. I've always liked Chipmunks in that colour scheme. I'm hoping to visit Cosford sometime soon to have a look at the Sopwith Pup. I'll endeavour to do the same as you and save the photos in a special file here.

What always strikes me with a lot of full-size aircraft is how home built they look with rivets etc on full view and panels etc not quite fitting perfectly. Just think how a modern mass produced car looks. I don't think customers would like to see rivet heads exposed or a bonnet lid not closing almost seamlessly. Cars of the 1920s and 30s were more like the Chipmunk here.

Geoff

Tim Flyer16/11/2019 13:37:31
1121 forum posts
214 photos

Thank You chaps.. I really like the colours too . Agreed it is always surprising how ‘ rough’ the actual finish is rather than totally smooth “ bar of soap “ finish like mass produced cars. I think it would be nice to build a bit of a photo library on this site of various full size plane details to help building. Before looking at this Chipmunk I had been worried about matching the Solartex painted finish to the colour film I’m using and the panel edge finish . Looking at the full size made me much less worried 😊.

Tom Sharp 216/11/2019 22:39:38
3576 forum posts
19 photos

It was on about V bombers on telly one night and they reckoned that no two were ever the same.

cymaz17/11/2019 06:11:39
8817 forum posts
1195 photos
Posted by Tim Flyer on 16/11/2019 13:37:31:

Thank You chaps.. I really like the colours too . Agreed it is always surprising how ‘ rough’ the actual finish is rather than totally smooth “ bar of soap “ finish like mass produced cars. I think it would be nice to build a bit of a photo library on this site of various full size plane details to help building. Before looking at this Chipmunk I had been worried about matching the Solartex painted finish to the colour film I’m using and the panel edge finish . Looking at the full size made me much less worried 😊.

I’m all for thatyes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us