Forum sponsored by CML

Horus X10 Express

HELP!!!!!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Holland 218/11/2019 21:28:27
197 forum posts
25 photos

Evening Gents, I have just treated myself to a Horus X10 Expess using FrOs, not Open Tx. I have it up and running with RX6R Access rx's no trouble at all and flew with it yesterday and loved it. I also bought a couple of S8R stabilised Rx's to use in aircraft carrying a Mobius (not FPV) but am having trouble configuring them. T9 HobbySport have been brilliant in advising me and suggest I upgrade to the latest firmware in the Tx. I have googled the procedure but, although there is loads of stuff for Open Tx, there is nothing for FrOs. I have downloaded the latest firmware FW-X10X10s-Express-2.0.02 Beta from the Frsky website and extracted the files ( please don't take that as any sort of indication that I have any idea what I'm doing). I finish up with the following files:-

FLASH

Luascript

Readme (which i've looked at without being any wiser)

X10 Bootload 1218.dfu (DFU_file)

gcx X10_Express_mode1_frtx (BIN_file) (I fly Mode1)

gcx X10_Express_mode2 _frtx (BIN_file)

So....? do I write all of these to the micro SD card, put it in the transmitter and go to update? There is nothing on the card at the moment.

That sounds relatively easy but I am petrified that I might completely disable the tx if I do something wrong. If anyone out there could talk me through the process (words of one syllable, please) I would be really grateful.

Many thanks in advance,

David

Edited By David Holland 2 on 18/11/2019 21:30:20

Mike Blandford19/11/2019 00:21:30
542 forum posts
22 photos

There is a video how-to here: **LINK**

However, you might like to consider the following. With the radio powered off, if you connect it to your computer via USB, the processor will start in "STM Bootloader" mode. In this mode, you are able to read the flash memory from the processor and write to it. Reading it means you should be able to restore it if something goes wrong during the update.
To use the STM Bootloader, you need a DFU (Device Firmware Update) program. STM provide one called DfUse. You may download DfUse from STM here: **LINK**
It looks to be available from other sites as well (DfUse Demo works fine). I read the flash memory from my X10S Express using this only a couple of days ago!

Mike

Andy Meade19/11/2019 09:10:39
2671 forum posts
681 photos

There's a very good thread here on RCGroups where some of the chaps write manuals to help out.

The link to the flashing directions for the X10 is here on FRSky's website, too.

Tim Ballinger19/11/2019 11:17:48
578 forum posts
232 photos

Mike/Andy.

Do you both recommend keeping up with the latest firmware releases. I have remained on the FRsky OS on my HORUS 10 and am quite content with the functionality.

However I do notice that the latest firmware seems to be a pre-requisite for getting support for the new(ish) neuron ESC's ( and possibly other stuff ) so I was considering an upgrade. My biggest concern is that my interface is through an iMac not a PC and I know that that can lead to some oddities when writing essentially PC based files so I am a little nervous and actually not sure if the process for recovering a failed update as described by Mike above would actually work.

Any thoughts?

Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 19/11/2019 11:19:55

Andy Meade19/11/2019 11:34:17
2671 forum posts
681 photos

Tim - I'm still two revisions behind on my X12, and I don't have any issues. Granted, I don't use any stabilised receivers or ESC's, where it looks like some of these gains are to be had. From the looks of things, you have to try really hard to "brick" one of these transmitters - just make sure there's a good backup of "known good" firmware somewhere handy.

David Holland 219/11/2019 18:30:13
197 forum posts
25 photos

Mike, Andy, thank you so much for your help. I have now successfully done the upgrade, the link to the Mike Dailey written instructions on the Frsky website was just what I needed, simple, clear step by step guidance. This may not be the last question I have so don't hold your breath!!

Thanks again,

David

David Holland 228/11/2019 22:23:43
197 forum posts
25 photos

Hi, I'm back!! So, got my RX6R Access rx's working fine and have eventually got the better of the S8R configuration. Tricksy little blighters, they are but I got there in the end. I have even managed to resize some photos of my models and get them in the right file to show when I select the relevant aircraft. Impressed, huh? I think I now need a couple of pointers on logic switches. I have set channel 10 to SwitchC, a three position, long lever and that controls Stabilisation, Self Level and Off. I am not using channel 11 which would control Knife edge and Prop Hang and I have channel 9 on S1, a rotary switch for adjusting overall Gain. I have set channel 12 to SwitchG, three position, short lever, and you toggle this three times, quickly, to initiate the Self Check and Stick Calibration without which nothing works. I wish to remove the possibility of doing this inadvertently in flight as calamity would certainly ensue. So........can i use the MODEL/LOGIC SWITCH menu to disable channel 12 on SG unless SwitchH, 2 position, momentary, is pulled at the same time? I currently use SH to reset the timer and would like to still be able to do that. I have another, I think, logic switch question regardind landing gear but I reckon if I could get the basic principle I could have a stab at working that out myself. I mentioned in my earlier question that I'm using FrOs and that there is loads of help for OpenTx on t'interweb but searches for FrOs don't come up with much. Thanks in anticipation, David

Mike Blandford28/11/2019 23:13:04
542 forum posts
22 photos

You only need to do the self check and servo calibration once, so you don't need it permanently available.

How have you set switch G to control channel 12? I don't know FrOs, but I do have a X10 Express with FrOs currently on it (I needed it to test the PARA trainer function to the new X9LiteS running ersktTx, so FrSky sent me one!). I will be porting erskyTx to it when I have time.

So, I have an input map setting where FLP3 is set to SWG. I also have a channel set, in the output map, to use FLP3.
Then I've set another input AUX1 to be LSW2, but I (deliberately) don't have anything set on LSW2.
Finally, I have an EX-MIXER configured:
To: FLP3
Method as ":=" (replace)
SW: SWH_UP

This seems to work to prevent switch G from controlling the channel unless switch H is pulled.

There may be a better way, but I haven't investigated FrOs further to find one!

Mike

Peter Christy29/11/2019 08:53:29
1616 forum posts

One of our club members has just bough an X10S Express, and is insistent on sticking with FrOs. He flies Mode 1. Switching the hardware to Mode 1 was quite easy, but none of us can figure out how to make Mode 1 the default for new models in FrOs. (I have an X10S, but switched it to OpenTx almost immediately after purchase.)

We can make a model Mode 1, but have to do this each time a new model is created. The only way we have found so far is to create a Mode 1 template, then copy this to a new location each time a new model is required.

Is there really no way to set Mode 1 as a default?

Everyone else down here (including me!) flies Mode 2 and OpenTx, so this is the first time we've encountered the problem!

--

Pete

Tim Ballinger29/11/2019 09:33:39
578 forum posts
232 photos

Pete,

I have had a Horus x10 for 18 months now and having moved from Hitec found the FrSky OS to be easy and has satisfied everything I need to do so far . I left OpenTx as an option but have never bothered.
I also fly mode 1 and do not understand the issue with mode 1 not being the default for new models. On the X10 at least you go to system select any current model and choose create from the drop down. The first menu you get is mode choice with tick boxes across the bottom for each mode. In my case the mode 1 tick box comes ready ticked as it were so click ok and on to the next menu. I assume it remembers the default choice from the first/last model created. I do not remember doing anything specific to make this happen but I suppose it is possible as I was following the manual at the time and can not remember exactly.

Is the express different ?

Tim

David Holland 229/11/2019 09:48:54
197 forum posts
25 photos

I’m mode 1 also and I’m pretty sure I just physically swopped the stick rachet/centreing spring then chose mode1 for the first model I set up. The software then automatically defaulted mode 1 for all subsequent models. David

ps. mine is a Horus X10 Express too.

Edited By David Holland 2 on 29/11/2019 09:50:02

David Holland 229/11/2019 10:14:56
197 forum posts
25 photos

Mike, back to the logic switch question, I'll try your suggestion incorporating a EX MIX. I thought I might try fiddling with OpenTx Companion and simulating that set up and also play with "virtual" logic switches. Can I assume a logic switch is a logic switch irrespective of operating system.

Would it make sense to ask the mods to change the title of this thread to "Horus X10 Express using FrOs" and make it a general discussion rather than one for me to ask endless silly questions? David

Peter Christy29/11/2019 10:43:25
1616 forum posts

Tim & David: Thanks for you input! Its not my transmitter, but that of a fellow club member. He brought it to me at our AGM as he'd managed to do the hardware change OK, but couldn't get the software to "stick" in mode 1.

I managed to set up a "template" model in mode 1, but when we selected another new model, it went back to mode 2 again! As I said, I know little of FrOs, as I switched mine to OpenTx almost as soon as I got it - and I'm mode 2 anyway, so wouldn't come across the problem.

I only had his transmitter in my hands for half-an-hour, while I tried to figure it out, and no manual or any other guide, so I was guessing a lot! I'll be seeing him again next week probably, so I'll see how he is getting on.

I just thought I'd take advantage of this discussion to see if anyone else had run into the problem. It sounds as if I missed something during the setup, but it will have to wait until I see him again during the week. In the meantime, we have a work-around!

Again, many thanks, folks!

--

Pete

David Holland 229/11/2019 12:35:46
197 forum posts
25 photos

Thanks Mike, EX MIXER cracked it. I am unsure if I will need to do the self test again after adjusting Gains after test flying. All bases covered now. Same as most things, I guess, the more you play with something. the more you learn and the easier it gets. As I get to grips with it, I am loving FrSky and an unashamed plug (usual disclaimer) T9 HobbySport, Richard in particular, are brilliant and have been a pleasure to deal with. David

Andy4829/11/2019 16:27:28
1393 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by David Holland 2 on 29/11/2019 10:14:56:

Mike, back to the logic switch question, I'll try your suggestion incorporating a EX MIX. I thought I might try fiddling with OpenTx Companion and simulating that set up and also play with "virtual" logic switches. Can I assume a logic switch is a logic switch irrespective of operating system.

Given that FrOS is really based on OpenTX, you will probably find that they operate the same as OpenTX, though logical switches are software devices so no reason to be the same. After playing with the Companion, you should also consider OpenTX itself. As you have said there is far more support for OpenTX.

Andy4829/11/2019 16:31:16
1393 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Peter Christy on 29/11/2019 10:43:25:

I managed to set up a "template" model in mode 1, but when we selected another new model, it went back to mode 2 again! As I said, I know little of FrOs, as I switched mine to OpenTx almost as soon as I got it - and I'm mode 2 anyway, so wouldn't come across the problem.

Its never a problem with OpenTX because basically OpenTX doesn't care what you use each stick for. The only thing to do is physically change the stick ratchets over.

David Holland 202/12/2019 22:06:32
197 forum posts
25 photos

Sorry, gents, me again. Just as I thought I had a handle on this I have found another conundrum. Got my conventional aircraft setup, sorted the configuration of the stabilised receivers and am now trying to set up my Revolver Autogyro. I have selected "Flying Wing" to get the pitch/roll mix for the rotor head but, while the pitch response is fine (both servos moving together), in roll only one servo responds and that introduces a pitch component up or down depending on direction of roll. I have tried using an aileron wing setting and mixing elevator and aileron but get the same result. Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

David Holland 202/12/2019 22:28:55
197 forum posts
25 photos

Paniced too soon!! I needed to set up "aileron 1" and "Aileron 2" and put "Aileron 2" on the elevator stick. Works a treat now.

David

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us