Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Best De-humidifier for the workshop?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Laughton19/11/2019 10:31:40
1178 forum posts
105 photos

I have a workshop that is a 'small' double garage - even though it is insulated well after a refurb four years ago I am having some condensation problems and would like to invest in a small (desktop?) dehumidifier preferably one that has a continuous drain that I can feed into a sink and leave running.

Any suggestions on make / model would be appreciated

Martin Harris19/11/2019 11:01:39
8965 forum posts
221 photos

Dessicant dehumidifiers are supposed to be more efficient at low temperatures but my conventional compressor driven one (cheap version bought second hand at a car boot sale) served me well for quite a few years (with a mid-life relay change) until the compressor unit failed - and stopped me finding my machine tools covered in condensation. I replaced it this year with a new one but its too new to give a recommendation.

I run it via a temperature controlled switch as the compressor type are inefficient/ineffective at low temperatures, switching on at 7 degrees.

It uses a not insignificant amount of electricity but does allow me peace of mind for my tools and stock of materials etc.

Stuart Z19/11/2019 20:04:06
382 forum posts

I use a Meaco DLL unit when the weather is damp and when I have the gas heater on. Works a treat.

Not cheap mind, but therein may be why it’s good. Kept my Harley dry for many years.

S

Piers Bowlan20/11/2019 12:27:12
1916 forum posts
50 photos

Do you heat your garage Jon? if you heat it with a gas heater they can produce quite a bit of condensation which can exacerbate the problem of condensation. I have had a radiator plumbed into my garage from the CH boiler which is also located in the garage. Whenever the central heating or hot water systems are on in my house, the radiator produces some background heat, reducing levels of condensation. It pushes up my heating bills a bit no doubt but there are a lot of tools and equipment in my garage, - probably worth it. (I also have a diesel heater in my garage too, when I want it to be toasty)

Jon Laughton20/11/2019 13:31:30
1178 forum posts
105 photos

No Piers there is no radiator and I only heat it with an electrical space fan heater when I’m working and when it’s cold

David P Williams20/11/2019 14:41:08
862 forum posts
282 photos

I had a damp problem in my workshop caused mostly by a blocked drain outside. Didn't notice for a while as there were bookshelves against the wall on the inside (they're pretty ruined). All fixed now, bought one of these at the beginning of November and it's dried the inside out nicely, seems to work very well.

Price has increased dramatically though - I paid £120, now it's £142

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us