By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Empire of the Sun P51 Mustang

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Amy flygirl23/11/2019 00:25:28
12 forum posts

Ok so way back when I was 19 my dad and I purchased one of the actual Mustangs from the film. Bought it from Dave Smith of the Joker and Sapire designer.

It's been in storage for a number of years now and since my late freind past over a year ago now I thought its about time to get it flying again so I'm looking for any information I can about it and help resurrecting the Cadillac of sky's again.

I know that a guy called Pete Aston designed it and it was based on a Byron models Mustang which I would love to get hold of one of those kits. A while ago I saw on the Facebook selling site someone was selling a 1/3 scale one and I need a new canopy for it so tried contacting that person to no avail.

I'm so desperate to get this thing flying again I spent a Lot of money buying a 12x10 shed just to fit it in so please if anyone is kind enough to help a lady out in honouring a late freinds wish out please get in touch.

Big hugs Amy xx

Martin Harris23/11/2019 01:04:17
9601 forum posts
258 photos

Impressive models...

If you're cosidering flying it again, don't forget that a 70 lb model will need to be certified by the LMA to remain legal.  You would do well to contact them before you start any work.

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/11/2019 01:09:40

Amy flygirl23/11/2019 01:17:23
12 forum posts

Exactly, joining the LMA is a must. Its going to be a long process but again it needs to fly again.

Thanks for posting the photos, unfortuanally my one isn't visible in any of the pictures. Aparently there are only 2 known survivers of this model now.

Geoff S23/11/2019 11:41:04
3910 forum posts
62 photos

Interestingly, one of the letters in Martin's link refers to the the model museum at Goosedale near Bestwood, Notts. I remember it well as I learned to fly there and passed my 'A' at the club. It was a great place sadly ended by various shenanigans if the stories I heard were true. I used to cycle there for lessons in 1995 after I'd retired and so got 30 odd miles in on my bike (it was a glorious summer that year) and an hour or so flying my instructor's HiBoy

I saw the B29 in the museum but I don't recall the Mustang. I wish Amy all the best getting the model sorted out in her new shed. It's well worth the effort.

Geoff

alex nicol23/11/2019 11:54:08
401 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Amy,

Looks like you've got quite a project on your hands. Im sure I'm speaking for a lot of the guys on here when I say, we'd really love to see a couple of pictures of your Mustang.

Happy restoring

Alex

Amy flygirl24/11/2019 18:15:22
12 forum posts

I remember going to that museum and seeing the B29 and also one of the other Mustangs, almost put my one in there too. So glad I didn't lol

kc24/11/2019 18:43:17
6786 forum posts
174 photos

So you need a new canopy ? You could always ask Vortex Vacform if they can make one.

kc24/11/2019 18:45:54
6786 forum posts
174 photos

So you need a new canopy ? You could always ask Vortex Vacform if they can make one.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!