Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Best way to hinge control surfaces

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Donald23/11/2019 13:00:20
57 forum posts
3 photos

I find trying to use film (oracover etc) very hit and miss to hinge control surfaces. Sometimes it works ok but often one side shrinks too much and then everything is mis aligned. It's ok, just not perfect. What other options are there? Years ago I used to use either magic tape on one side or small mylar strips stuck in with CA glue. Any better recommendations? This particular model is light weight one with transparent film so don't want to spoil the looks or add too much weight.

Don Fry23/11/2019 13:22:30
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Light weight, take two strips of film, colour used to suit. Heat set the glue faces together with an overlap about 1 less than the thickness of the control surface. Cut the strip into 20mm hinges.

Attach a hinge to a bottom surface, stroking the iron up as it comes to the edge, which will set it with a upward set to it. Attach a second hinge, from the top side. Repeat as necessary.

To complete, slip control surface on, tape with masking tape, and iron on.

Secure, neat, cheap.

Tim Donald23/11/2019 14:56:39
57 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks Don, that sounds more reliable then trying to cover / hinge all in one go. Thanks, I will give it a try.

Don Fry23/11/2019 15:07:11
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Try it on bit of scrap first. The secret is the overlap is less than the control surface thickness, which allows the pairs of hinges to present one up, one down, and allows the control surface to slide in.

Peter Miller23/11/2019 15:38:30
11207 forum posts
1321 photos
10 articles

Here is my drawing of the old Clothes horse hinge as described above

hinge mod.jpg

bert baker23/11/2019 17:24:05
1609 forum posts
331 photos

What size plane and what’s it made of

Tim Donald23/11/2019 18:05:45
57 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks Peter, I will give that a try on some scrap as Don suggests.

For this model I have persevered with strips of oracover and it has worked ok now but I still don't like that method much. Maybe I just need to practice more !

It is a built up balsa model Bert, a 2m F3-RES glider called a Slite.

Malcolm Fisher23/11/2019 18:43:16
644 forum posts
7 photos

What's wrong with sewn hinges as we all used on C/L models? They were referred to again in the latest issue of RCM&E.

Malcolm

bert baker23/11/2019 18:54:58
1609 forum posts
331 photos

I’ve been using Blendum tape on some smaller sheet depron models

haven’t had any issues.

May or may be not suitable for your application

Peter Miller23/11/2019 19:27:44
11207 forum posts
1321 photos
10 articles

Sewn Hinges are great too.

I also like the mylar ones with the flock bonded on them. Make slits in the wood, drill a 1/16" hole to aid wicking and you don't even need to pin them

Martin McIntosh23/11/2019 20:19:13
3471 forum posts
1216 photos

What`s wrong with simple ca hinges? They can be cut down for smaller models as I do. I would not trust film on anything other than a glider/ small electric.

Don Fry23/11/2019 20:46:09
4557 forum posts
54 photos

They do work. I used them on a Junior 60. It had done about 200 hours when I sold it. A standard preflight test was to take its weight on the hinge. Trust the workmanship I suppose.

I once was interested in building a microlight. I was surprised they were not allowing a glued up structure. They wanted metal plates to secure spar, rib, web joints. And it was only a big model. Not even aerobatic.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!