Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Scroll Saw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Walby24/11/2019 07:28:56
1198 forum posts
299 photos

Mr Numpty managed to break my very second minicraft saw and can't find any spares.

Views, advice and recommendations of currently available scroll saws please

Cheap better or more expensive?

Peter Miller24/11/2019 08:22:35
10953 forum posts
1272 photos
10 articles

I bought a scroll saw from screwfix many years ago. it was very reasonable and is still going strong

Wilco Wingco24/11/2019 10:04:34
231 forum posts
3 photos

Second a scroll saw. More versatile and makes cutting out those fiddly fuselage former so easy. Plastic, balsa and ply all taken in it's stride with the availability of various blades to suite. Had one for years and it just goes on and on, to cut light metal just put a meta 24 TPI coping saw blade in it, works a treat. yes

Geoff S24/11/2019 10:26:13
3588 forum posts
14 photos

I bought one of the Aldi (Workzone) scroll saws a couple of years ago and haven't so far regretted the £60 I spent nor the weight I needed to carry from the bus stop home It gets used quite a lot but not as much as my band saw.

Geoff

Martin Harris24/11/2019 10:55:44
9262 forum posts
245 photos

I bought a cheap Performance Power one from B&Q some years ago and it worked faultlessly for quite a few years. I sold it on at a club bring and buy [only because I'd acquired a slightly more serious looking Axminster one with a cast iron table at a very reasonable price] and as far as I'm aware, it's still going strong. I suspect that many of these tools are badged versions of Chinese generic products and despite your experience, are robust enough to last well in the relatively low use most of them get in a modeller's workshop so price comparison or local availability may be the main factor.

I've often seen recommendations to go for pin-less blade holder types but haven't had any difficulties with either of my pinned blade models.

Like Geoff, I use my bandsaw for any heavier tasks but if you have to choose one or the other, the scroll saw allows internal cutting so is the more versatile - and less likely to leave odd digits and bloodstains on the workshop floor!

John Tee24/11/2019 12:26:14
835 forum posts
65 photos

I have a Record Tools SS16 scroll saw. Very happy with it. cost me £99 three years ago. Variable speed and uses either pinned or plain end blades. Changing blades is fiddly until you get used to it.

john

Steven Shaw24/11/2019 12:56:10
362 forum posts
190 photos

I have a small shop and had to give up my 15 inch Delta and replace it with a Dremel Moto-Saw 9.8 inch scroll saw. It uses Dremel pinned blades and I am very happy with it. It clamps firmly onto the edge of my workbench, makes nice clean cuts, and although I have never broken a blade they are easy to find in most DIY stores. I have regular, fine and metal cutting blades for it.

eflightray24/11/2019 13:34:37
620 forum posts
132 photos

I have one from Machine Mart, the blades supplied with it were a waste of time. I found they always cut in a curve, on inspection I found the blade teeth appeared to be 'punched' from one side only. Get some good quality blades.

Martin Harris24/11/2019 13:49:39
9262 forum posts
245 photos

Funny you should say that - I had the same problem with the unknown blade that came with the second hand Axminster - changing it immediately produced straight cuts - I put it down to the blade being distorted somehow but I wonder if this was the cause? I'll try and bear it in mind for the future!

Chris Walby24/11/2019 14:04:05
1198 forum posts
299 photos

Thanks for the comments all very helpful, cheers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!