564 forum posts
66 photos

I never did get the hang of this forum. Let’s try again:

**LINK**

Trevor

Martin McIntosh31/10/2020 22:09:21
3697 forum posts
1287 photos

Some parts of this can be a devil, can they not. The wing tips gave me a bit of an unexpected headache too.

So far my method of wing attachment has proven to be fine.

Trevor01/11/2020 08:40:06
564 forum posts
66 photos

Yes, I reckon the parts count for the wingtips is over 30, and they all need shaping, tapering or otherwise fettling. They look good when done though.

I still don't really know why I went off the three piece upper wing solution but, once I'd worked out a way of drilling the beech blocks to take the threaded inserts, the new method seemed to come together okay. Mind you, the parts count probably exceeded that for the wingtips by the time it was done!

I'm trying to build a bit of air into the tail surfaces, in the hope that this will give me a bit more leeway when it comes to battery location. I have read of Aeromasters occasionally coming out nose heavy but that was with chunky four strokes up front. I'm pretty sure that my cheap outrunner electric motor will be a lot lighter.

Trevor01/12/2020 16:43:31
564 forum posts
66 photos

I've just uploaded the November entry in my Aeromaster build diary:

**LINK**

The airframe is pretty much complete. All up weight, with just the covering to go, currently stands at 5 - 5.5lb, depending on how big a battery is fitted.

img_3490.jpg

Martin McIntosh01/12/2020 19:22:27
3697 forum posts
1287 photos

Looks pretty good to me. You will like I am certain.

Nigel R01/12/2020 21:03:12
4396 forum posts
717 photos

That is looking great Trevor.

I do like your top wing retention method. A rather neat answer to avoiding the kit's method and the small fiddly screws that it entails.

I feel my route was definitely a complex choice.

And yes the wingtips are deceptively complex. I copied the idea from the Airmeister plan of building them as separate units which simplified things a bit. Looking forward to getting mine covered and airbourne when my new workshop is finished.

Trevor31/12/2020 09:03:59
564 forum posts
66 photos

Well, it's finished and ready to fly - just as we become locked down under Covid tier 4 restrictions!

December diary entry is here: **LINK**

img_3543.jpg

img_3539.jpg

Thanks again for all the help from this thread. I'll report back when it's had a bit of air under the wheels.

Trevor

Martin McIntosh31/12/2020 10:42:04
3697 forum posts
1287 photos

You should be very pleased with your efforts. Interesting that you popped the bubbles before they could appear. I applied the sunburst using a much lower than normal iron temperature then went over it hotter, pricking out any bubbles with the tip of a knife.

Nigel R14/01/2021 10:59:57
4396 forum posts
717 photos

Missed this - Trevor that sunburst scheme is fab yes The Aeromaster decal really finishes things off.

Don't upset the pilot!

I'm really looking forward to finishing up my workshop build so that I can resume my Aeromaster. I left it at the "needs covering" stage but I'm not 100% happy with my cabanes so need to revisit them, and that will need a suitable space to jig and resolder (which indoors is not) and then crack on with the covering.

Trevor14/01/2021 13:59:56
564 forum posts
66 photos

Thanks both. I must admit that it’s a bit frustrating that, having got it finished, the Aeromaster is now just gathering dust while we sit out this current lockdown. Definitely a good time to finish yours off Nigel.

Trevor

Nigel R14/01/2021 14:20:41
4396 forum posts
717 photos

I share your frustration, as do many of us on here I imagine. Can't wait to be let off the leash.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Subscribe now
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!