All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Keith Miles 206/12/2019 17:54:08
292 forum posts
6 photos

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 06/12/2019 12:41:33:

People can argue ad nauseum...

OOOH, NO THEY CAN’T!

(Sorry, but it’s almost that time of year again!)

smiley

Peter Beeney06/12/2019 19:02:36
1581 forum posts
59 photos

Just for interest there was a little quirky feature relating to the Schulze charger that actually proved to be quite useful, but I’m not entirely sure it was actually designed to be so.

Whenever I was tinkering with other people’s batteries I alway wore an imaginary cap of Lincoln Green with a large feather in the band, …and probably a pair of green tights and shoes with long toes that curled up at the end to match because I always thought that far too many perfectly sound batteries were unnecessarily being thrown away, more often than not because of the presence of the dreaded black wire corrosion. Serious recycling facilities were still only a twinkle… This was back in the day when you could have your pack in any colour you wanted as long as it was nickel…

So the first thing I always did on a checkover was good gaze at the wire connection and I noticed the very first rather inconspicuous indicator that it might be making an appearance was when looking at the plug under a good light the little part of the crimped socket you can see in the plastic plug the pos would appear bright and shiny and the neg would be very dull and faded by comparison. So at that point a quick re-wire with a replacement cable and all would be well again.

One day a fellow handed me a Rx pack from his helicopter and asked if I might have a look because he’d noticed that the charger sometimes was reluctant to charge it properly. On examination everything was really bright and shiny and indeed he had remarked that he’d only had it a few months, bought new from LMS.

So a discharge to be able to start from scratch, this was perfectly normal, then on charge. After a while I noticed the trace was progressing as it should be, but it was definitely different, slightly fuzzy as opposed to the normal clean line. Now it’s a process of elimination, just a few moments work to slice open the wrapping and a pair of jumper leads with croc clips onto the terminals to bypass the lead. Result - a perfect trace in an instant! So as usual a rewire was all that was needed. I considered this very obscure phenomenon to now be the first indication of the onslaught of the wire corrosion, but I could see nothing wrong with the wire. A cursory resistance check proved inconclusive, but there was no doubt that something was already changing within the conductors. Over the years I can remember at least two other similar cases with the fuzzy trace syndrome. So I’m also convinced that in just about any other situation the pack would have just been thrown out, probably by LMS on an exchange deal. It would have been just accepted as yet another faulty battery.

Also I made myself a few flight packs for powered gliders and I used silver loaded solder for this, kidding myself that the slightly better conductivity would give me increased performance. I used this solder on the battery leads too, wondering if this might act as a preventative, but I was never really able to prove it one way or the other.

All historical stuff now fortunately. I rarely see any mention of the black wire blues these days. But there again, lithium packs have certainly had their moments, and in many ways, more seriously so. Although with improving safety features on chargers etc., I’m sure this improving.

I think I’ll just stick with the LiFe gang for now, the (ancient) lazy man’s power pack….

PB

Edited By Peter Beeney on 06/12/2019 19:07:25

Old Geezer06/12/2019 23:34:12
650 forum posts

I think we're all going OTT - it's bloomin' 2nd hand trainer! I refer everyone to my reply on the first page, i.e. KISS. All I would add is: after every session, once the airframe has been cleaned of exhaust residue and mud, and thoroughly checked for physical damage, hinges and linkages etc. all OK, instead of putting it away. put it on to charge overnight - that way, unless you've inadverantly knocked the on/off switch on! - as you're using Eneloops there's no need to remember to charge everything the night before your next session. An on-load battery checker just to re-assure you that you're good to go before each flight. Finally, as before, a new Rx battery switch - I prefer the simplest, which demands access to the fuselage interior to connect it to the charger - so at the same time you're reassured that your pride and joy's innards are still where you expected them to be.

So - 4S 2000 Eneloop + New Rx Battery Switch + On-Load Battery Voltage Checker - - - Simples (& less than £40).

Keith Miles 207/12/2019 00:52:23
292 forum posts
6 photos

Hmmm.

KISS, indeed.

One reason that I don’t bother, given all the other safeguards mentioned, adding things that I don’t need and shouldn’t need, a battery checker, for example.

There is diligence and there is paranoia.

“Time for bed” said Zebedee.

Cue music.

smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us