By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Radio Queen ailerons

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Keith Orr 102/12/2019 09:06:19
6 forum posts

I am building a Ben Buckle Radio Queen and would like to add ailerons, has anyone on this forum any design drawings or sketches for the alteration to the original, any advice will be helpful, thanks

kc02/12/2019 16:21:47
6079 forum posts
169 photos

No other replies so far......maybe nobody has fitted ailerons or thought it worthwhile. Is it really worth modifying a vintage model to ailerons? You might spoil the enjoyable vintage style flying of this classic model.

Of course it would be usual to reduce the dihedral if fitting ailerons.

Anyway welcome to the forum Keith even if my reply seems a bit negative, perhaps there will be other views.

Don Fry02/12/2019 16:41:17
4151 forum posts
48 photos

Keith, welcome. Ditto as KC.

Capt Kremen02/12/2019 16:48:30
312 forum posts
85 photos

Ailerons on a 'Radio Queen'????

If you really must, but it doesn't need them and unless you are flying it 'out-of-character' of the original 'guided R/C' style, it's a fantastic flying model on just rudder/elevator and throttle, i/c or electric powered.

Engine Doctor02/12/2019 17:23:18
2343 forum posts
28 photos

Why ?

Keith Orr 102/12/2019 17:28:25
6 forum posts

Thanks for your comments and I do take your point, I am after all building a vintage model, not built one before, but did see this article/photo and thought it sounded like a good idea.

Ah, not been able to copy and paste, so, photo of a Peter Cook on RCGroups.net.

Maybe I will, in line with your recommendations, build as per plan.

Thanks.

Old Geezer02/12/2019 17:59:29
640 forum posts

I'm with k.c. And The Captain - having had my own Radio Queen all I can add is that you don't over power the old lady - mine had an old open rocker OS40 four stroke - perfect for whiffling round the field just sipping fuel. Best of all, on a calm afternoon/evening flying low, slow and close in - unbeatable.

Oh - and she managed to fly across The English Channel on a ED Hunter - diesel, electrics supplied by an accumulator!  (Some say using a Taplin Twin.)

Edited By Old Geezer on 02/12/2019 18:10:04

paul d02/12/2019 19:21:28
75 forum posts
5 photos

As others have said adding ailerones will spoil it and possibly over stress the wing, may I suggest if you fancy a vintage style model with ailerones you build a super 60.

Don Fry02/12/2019 20:17:53
4151 forum posts
48 photos

Paul, might I suggest, go for a standard aileron trainer. Why mess with a Super 60. All these things are products of their time. Their designers were not idiots. Leave them alone. But they are what the are. Nothing special. Nothing to gain.

Tom Gaskin 102/12/2019 21:53:47
28 forum posts
5 photos

If you want a vintage model with ailerons, search for 'Jackdaw' on this site. Designed for ailerons from the start, a plan is available on Outer Zone.

Tom

Lima Hotel Foxtrot02/12/2019 22:26:13
360 forum posts
Posted by Keith Orr 1 on 02/12/2019 09:06:19:

I am building a Ben Buckle Radio Queen and would like to add ailerons, has anyone on this forum any design drawings or sketches for the alteration to the original, any advice will be helpful, thanks

It’s your model that you’re building, so you should feel free to build and adapt it any way you want.

I would think that strengthening the wing will be needed as it is not designed to resist the twisting aileron forces, and because it was meant to be steered on rudder you may need to use differential ailerons to avoid adverse yaw. The large amount of dihedral will reduce aileron effectiveness, but it’s worth trying, but be prepared for some large throws if you don’t drop the dihedral by a few degrees.

PatMc02/12/2019 22:58:40
4236 forum posts
523 photos
Posted by Keith Orr 1 on 02/12/2019 17:28:25:

Thanks for your comments and I do take your point, I am after all building a vintage model, not built one before, but did see this article/photo and thought it sounded like a good idea.

Ah, not been able to copy and paste, so, photo of a Peter Cook on RCGroups.net.

Maybe I will, in line with your recommendations, build as per plan.

Thanks.

IMO, in the case of the RQ there's not a lot wrong with modifying the wings & fitting ailerons. The RC groups thread you refer to includes a good precedent.

The designer of the actual RQ that flew the channel was Peter Cock. Peter is mentioned in this RCG thread in report #17 with a photo taken in 2009 of him with his aileron equipped RQ appearing in "report #24".

For those who are interested the story of the first English Channel RC model flight is quite well detailed within the thread.

IIRC Peter Cock was the winner of the 1948 (first?) Gold Trophy (C/L stunt) at the SMAE Nationals, flying his ED Comp Special powered Kan Doo design

PatMc02/12/2019 22:58:41
4236 forum posts
523 photos

Posted by Old Geezer on 02/12/2019 17:59:29:

I'm with k.c. And The Captain - having had my own Radio Queen all I can add is that you don't over power the old lady - mine had an old open rocker OS40 four stroke - perfect for whiffling round the field just sipping fuel. Best of all, on a calm afternoon/evening flying low, slow and close in - unbeatable.

Oh - and she managed to fly across The English Channel on a ED Hunter - diesel, electrics supplied by an accumulator!  (Some say using a Taplin Twin.)

Edited By Old Geezer on 02/12/2019 18:10:04

Shouldn't that be an OS60 fs ? I don't think that there was an open rocker version of the OS40 fs.

OTOH an OS40 fs would have produced more power than the ED 3.46 diesel that powered the 7.5 lb Channel crossing RQ in 1954.

BTW the Taplin Twin wasn't produced until 1958 - 59.

Edited By PatMc on 02/12/2019 23:28:18

Keith Orr 103/12/2019 07:14:20
6 forum posts

Thanks again for all your comments and advice.

I am fairly new to RC aero modelling, so not a great deal of knowledge and experience, I starter about 15 years ago, built a trainer, it was by Chris Foss, and a Precedent FunFly, and another off plans but can't remember the name.

I learned to fly at Bonchester Bridge near Hawick, flew for a few years then due to work pressured gave up and sold off all of my "stuff", daftest thing I ever did, I was IC at that time.

I retired two years ago and decided to start again so bought another Precedent FunFly, but electric this time, looking for more of a building challenge I decided on the Radio Queen, she has been on the board for over a year, fuselage built, tail feathers built and just started on the wing, main frame built and thats when I saw the picture with ailerons, hence the query.

This Radio Queen is electric, thats another learning curve.

By the way, I have not actually flown yet this time round, must get organised.

David Davis03/12/2019 07:31:32
3472 forum posts
622 photos

I used to use a Radio Queen to give nervous elderly beginners their first taste of radio controlled flight. Mine was over-powered by an OS52 Surpass so I fitted an OS 48 to it. I've seen them fly on an Enya 40 so don't overpower it when you select that electric motor.

radio queen and t240, forton, 2007..jpg

Wish I'd never sold it now!

If you want a vintage model with ailerons, the Jackdaw has been recommended and plans are available from the Outerzone: **LINK**

If you want something more aerobatic but still vintage try Chris Olsen's Uproar : **LINK**

Peter Christy03/12/2019 09:38:28
1619 forum posts

You may be disappointed if you just fit ailerons onto an otherwise unmodified Radio Queen. Most of these vintage models suffer quite badly from adverse yaw when you do this. Certainly Super 60s don't fly any better with ailerons, and need substantial modification to make them work even half decently.

Even my Jackdaw (which has ailerons shown on the plans) turns just as well on rudder as ailerons, and needed s substantial amount of aileron differential to counteract the adverse yaw effect. It does do decent rolls on ailerons, though!

The ASP 30 4-stroke is a little marginal for take-off, though once airborne, it flies at half throttle. I'm a bit surprised by this, as the original flew on a 3.5cc diesel! I'm not particularly impressed by the ASP.
The Jackdaw is a delight to fly, though!
--
Pete
Jon - Laser Engines03/12/2019 13:45:02
4900 forum posts
188 photos

I wouldnt have any reservations about fitting ailerons. While their performance will not turn the model into an extra 300 they will work fine if you fly coordinated. It would not be much different to a cub or a T180 and would make cross wind landing rather easier.

Dont bother strengthening the wings, adding ailerons wont hurt them structurally and if you use strip ailerons they might even be stronger as you will need another spar to nail the ailerons into. You will need to lower the dihedral though but that is really simple.

Keith Orr 103/12/2019 17:38:54
6 forum posts

Thanks again for all your comments.

On reflection and bearing mind all comments I have decided to go with the original design, may make a wing with ailerons later.

Keith Orr 103/12/2019 17:40:07
6 forum posts

By the way i ahve copied your colour scheme David Davies

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us