Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

DB Hurricane paint and finish.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Flyer05/12/2019 13:16:14
1147 forum posts
220 photos

As well as creasing easily on compound curves I think that supermarket kitchen foil would also tear much too easily plus all the other problems like radio above

Jon - Laser Engines05/12/2019 14:08:19
5010 forum posts
200 photos

the compound curve bit is going to be a challenge if i use kitchen foil or the self adhesive stuff and it was one of the factors that put me off doing it. As for the radio, i dont know how much foil it would take to make a meaningful difference to the signal so i am more or less guessing. Its possible it would not be a problem at all

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 05/12/2019 14:08:43

Don Fry05/12/2019 14:55:30
4297 forum posts
49 photos

On a less technical note, I find, in quite a lot of lighting/cloud conditions, silver aircraft just disappear. Does not matter what the radio reception was like then. Perhaps this one is big enough not to get too small at the back of the circuit.

Jon - Laser Engines05/12/2019 15:11:00
5010 forum posts
200 photos

Its not just silver models. My blue/grey La7 and my dark grey sea fury melt into the background when the light is right. My old Green/Grey camo Hurricane did the same.

On more than one occasion i have found myself flying little more than a red cowl/spinner in the case of the la7 and a yellow spinner with 2 red roundel dots on the sea fury. You get used to it after a while but its always a shock the first time!

Manish Chandrayan05/12/2019 15:24:34
610 forum posts
71 photos
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 05/12/2019 11:02:15:

Andy, i have a P40 to build at some stage and that one is earmarked for a RAF desert camo. I just cant resist the sharks mouth

SR71, that stuff looks good but its not cheap. I was wondering what i could achieve with the cheapest foil i can find in sainsburys but again i wasnt sure about what it would do to the radio and compound curves are also a concern

Jon

Take a look at what Danny Fenton said on his Hawker Nimrod thread on using foils

Look for his post of 27 Nov at 1113 Hours a bit lower down on the page

Jon - Laser Engines05/12/2019 18:22:55
5010 forum posts
200 photos

As requested here are a few shots of the model as is. sorry its got no flappy bits, they are buried behind 3 models in the cupboard and i didnt fancy getting all that stuff out for just one photo

hurri 1.jpg

hurri 2.jpg

hurri 3.jpg

Don Fry05/12/2019 18:59:08
4297 forum posts
49 photos

Looks very nice. It's a nice flyer. And the logerons look straight. Most else gets buried under paint. What's not to like.

sticky fingers05/12/2019 22:33:42
117 forum posts
14 photos

May I point out that the swastika, is a budhist religious, symbol and not just as we see it here in the west as a Nazi symbol of terror. Buddhist temple which I have visited have tiles all the way up the tower to th top

Chris Freeman 306/12/2019 05:07:45
303 forum posts
417 photos

Very nice Jon, looks like the hard work is done. Like the wing fillits. What is the covering, tex of Nylon? Need to finish the Fly Baby so I can get my Hurrican down from the roof!

Manish Chandrayan06/12/2019 08:17:14
610 forum posts
71 photos
Posted by sticky fingers on 05/12/2019 22:33:42:

May I point out that the swastika, is a budhist religious, symbol and not just as we see it here in the west as a Nazi symbol of terror. Buddhist temple which I have visited have tiles all the way up the tower to th top

Hindu/Buddhist/Jains religious symbol actually. The only difference being that the ones we use are all anti-clockwise

Jon - Laser Engines06/12/2019 08:48:17
5010 forum posts
200 photos
Posted by Chris Freeman 3 on 06/12/2019 05:07:45:

Very nice Jon, looks like the hard work is done. Like the wing fillits. What is the covering, tex of Nylon? Need to finish the Fly Baby so I can get my Hurrican down from the roof!

Its all solartex and in a moment of madness i decided to cover the entire fuselage from the top spine to the lower corner where the wing meets in one piece of tex. It worked out well but was a bit of a faff!

I am a little worried about weight as the model is 16lbs (i think) without an engine and even with the engine installed its very tail heavy without the tail surfaces even being attached. I think over the weekend i will assemble it all as best i can, get the engine fully fitted in the correct place and dot servos all over it as well. Then i can do a bit of a c/g test and see how we get on.

Chris Freeman 306/12/2019 12:33:15
303 forum posts
417 photos

I built 2 Hurricanes in 1993 from the DB 44" plan that was doubled to 88 " and they used the same cowl as the kit one. The one was for a mate and one was mine. One had a ST 3000 and 1 a ST 2500. Both were just over 22 pounds and both had a lot of nose weight in them.Both flew very well and lived long lives so weight is not that much of an issue with that thick wing. The nose is also shorter than you would expect as the cockpit is quite far back.

Covering looks good, you where brave to do such a large piece as there are lots of curves..

Jon - Laser Engines06/12/2019 12:37:23
5010 forum posts
200 photos

Im not too worried about the weight from a wing loading point of view, its more engine performance through loops etc. I think its going to be fine though to be honest but i do need to do some work on the wings as i am not 100% happy that the veneer over the foam is glued down properly as the glue is so old its all dried out. I might have to strip it but i would like to avoid that if i can as i think it will be a pain in the backside. I may resort to a syringe full of thinned epoxy resin and inject the suspect areas. We will see how it works out

Don Fry06/12/2019 12:58:07
4297 forum posts
49 photos

Syringe of Superphatic wicked in Jon?

Jon - Laser Engines07/12/2019 09:42:29
5010 forum posts
200 photos

yea i already tried that but i am not totally sure its worked. I did some checking a vario do dummy plastic rivets for their choppers and i was considering getting some of those and using them to help hold it all together. They arent cheap though

I am not in desperate rush to finish the model so i have time to inspect it and try a few things out. Its possible i am over stating the problem, but the wing makes nasty cracking sounds if i squeeze it and i dont think that is quite right!

Don Fry07/12/2019 11:28:38
4297 forum posts
49 photos

Not good Jon. I once saw an turbine powered A10 break up when the foam and skin decided to go in different directions.

One thought, Gorilla foaming glue. Drill lines of holes, 50 mm centres, to take the nozzle, squirt, and tape the hole over to keep the foaming glue inside, and lose the hole in the skin. You will then know you have an attachment every 50 mm. Not heavy either.

Engine Doctor07/12/2019 11:47:32
2370 forum posts
29 photos

yes +1 The foaming glue works well on veneer and any that foams out can easily be sanded off when cured . Will need a plastic sheet with heavy weights spread over area to hold it down as its very powerful when it expands .

Jon Be careful with the CoG on the DB Hurricane . I built one some years ago and the CG was exactly as per the plan . First flight proved otherwise . Needed moving an inch further forward for pleasant flying. 

The full size was I believe the same . I have read  it somewhere in the past that the first Hurricanes that were delivered were just about flyable due to a rearward CoG and one officer refused to fly it in service until it was corrected . The article said they all had a large lead weigh attached to the firewall and an extra trim tab to counter this .

DB was was a stickler for copying the full size .Everyone I know who has had a DB said that they had to move the CoG forward from that on the plan . As you say wing loading isn't too much of a problem with such a large wing although the U/C mount can be loosened in a less than perfect landing if not built strong . The one I built had the built up wing and the U/C mounting  was incredibly strong after all the mounts were strengthened with tri-angular stock .

Good luck wit it and hope you get away with sticking the veneer down .

E.D.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 07/12/2019 12:01:37

Edited By Engine Doctor on 07/12/2019 12:02:49

Edited By Engine Doctor on 07/12/2019 12:06:28

Bob Cotsford07/12/2019 12:00:21
8132 forum posts
449 photos

On a smaller model I injected PVA under the loose skins giving it a few days to dry then ironing the veneer down - not too hot or the foam will deform! The heat and pressure of the iron works well to set the PVA and get rid of any ripples in the veneer.

Jon - Laser Engines07/12/2019 17:47:42
5010 forum posts
200 photos

i have been working on the Hurricane today and have made some minor progress. The engine is now installed in its proper place and i also had to move it forward 3/8 to make sure i had enough crankshaft left to get the prop and spinner on. This means it will poke out of the cowl more than i hoped but its still very well hidden. The exhausts are also contained within the cowl so i really dont think it will be an issue.

I looked at the c/g position on the plans and it seems quite a long way forward so i dont have too many concerns about it but i will keep the elevator rates low. In my experience 90% of 'tail heavy' warbirds are actually balanced ok but have excessive elevator deflection making them almost uncontrollable. That said, i will be careful with it as any new model is an unknown.

Finally i did a quick inspection of the wings and i am really not happy with them as some of the patches i already repaired some years ago are showing signs of lifting again. As much as a pains me i think im going to strip the veneer and start again. I might be able to rescue the existing wood and glue it back down, if not i will sheet fresh with new balsa.

As much as i dont want to have to do the work its really not a good idea to fly a model with doubts about its structural integrity. I will see what i can do tomorrow to get the work started. Is copydex still the right stuff to use to glue veneer down?

Engine Doctor08/12/2019 08:06:54
2370 forum posts
29 photos

You can now get water based Evo Stick contact adhesive. Probably more expensive than copydex was but don't know if copydex is still available. There is also a similar product to copydex used by carpet fitters , might be worth investigating ?

Edited By Engine Doctor on 08/12/2019 08:07:35

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us