Forum sponsored by CML

DB Hurricane paint and finish.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Don Fry08/12/2019 10:03:53
4297 forum posts
49 photos

Wise thoughts Jon.

Lot of loads going though uncertain joints is a short cut to misery, as you will never trust it. Don't DB do a built up wing kit for that airframe? Lighter than foam.

Jon - Laser Engines08/12/2019 13:42:51
5010 forum posts
200 photos

I did consider getting a new wing kit but i decided that if i was going to do that i should just go for gold and build a new one from scratch, and as i didnt fancy that i gave up on that idea..although i will be on the look out for another kit as i will build one from scratch eventually.

So that leaves me with what i have and following some more detailed inspection today its not as bad a first feared. While there are some fairly large patches of failed adhesive under the sheeting there are also large areas where its all good so using a putty knife an some careful cuts in the veneer i was able to get an epoxy brush under the skin and slap a bunch of super phatic under there before nailing it all back down with about 5 million pins. Once dry i will iron it down as was suggested before and then fill the cuts in the veneer with thinned resin before sanding it all back and giving the repaired areas another layer of thin glass cloth. Combined with the strength of the leading/trailing edges i am satisfied that this will be plenty strong enough but will keep an eye on it in service. I think i will also grab some of those plastic rivets from robbe (unless i can find them cheaper elsewhere) and glue them in as well after drilling a small hole and filling it with resin.

While the wing was drying i decided to remove the part of the wing dowel former which was in the way of my fuel tanks and cooling tunnel. It was quite a major faff but i got there in the end and i now have space for the tanks. Once the tanks arrive i can then build in a new tank bay floor and a vertical support to replace the lost structure. After that i can build the cooling tunnel which will also help replace the strength of the now missing former.

I will see if i can get some photos up later

Jon - Laser Engines08/12/2019 23:02:31
5010 forum posts
200 photos

There has been a slight mishap with my efforts to stick the veneer down. The water in the glue caused the wood to expand and some parts are now worse than they were before! once its all dried out i will try and iron it flat. its not the end of the world, just annoying.

So, a quick photo showing the modified wing former. i will be adding some bits around the holes so they wont be as fragile as they currently appear.

hurri 5.jpg

This shows the new tank bay floor placed in its new home. the smaller cutout below is for cooling air venting into the undercarriage wells

hurri 6.jpg

All assembled and looking mean with cannons fitted. I might make some cover plates to further camouflage the engine but its not bad as it is

hurri 4.jpg

Jon - Laser Engines13/12/2019 10:47:54
5010 forum posts
200 photos

Minor progress to report. The work on the wing is mostly finished with the repair works filled and sanded. I then gave them a skin of the thinnest glass cloth i can find so they are now ready for finishing/paint prep but that will wait until after i am done bashing it around the shed. I was also surprised to find that i had already installed all the hardware for the retracts and they were fully functional when i shot some air into them. I dont remember doing that but clearly i did!

My two fuel tanks arrived and fit perfectly in the bay i created for them so the next task is to tidy up the front of the tank bay/cooling duct and modify the wing to give the required clearance for the tanks as well as the cooling air exit. After that its just radio, detailing and paint i think...which is a bit of a worry, i keep feeling i have forgotten something.

hurri 7.jpg

hurri 8.jpg

Jon - Laser Engines16/12/2019 08:59:03
5010 forum posts
200 photos

Another weekend of nasty weather meant no flying but plenty of shed time. The hurricane has progressed nicely with the wing modified to clear the tank and have its cooling tunnel sorted out. The front end of the tank bay was tidied up and the cooling duct under the tank was done as well. I then added the fibreglass fairing piece to the wing to get an idea of how it will influence airflow. I am not anticipating any problems as the shots from head on show just how nicely the ducting works with essentially a straight shot into the undercarriage bay.

hurri 9.jpg

hurri 10.jpg

hurri 11.jpg

hurri 12.jpg

hurri 13.jpg

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 16/12/2019 09:17:53

Jon - Laser Engines23/12/2019 08:38:21
5010 forum posts
200 photos

Nothing exciting to report this weekend. Just a matter of tidying up the work already done and sealing against fuel.

I also have two more candidates for paint jobs. Both will win prizes with my girlfriend as the sqn codes are her initials.

The black one has the major advantage of being easy to paint but im slightly worried about how visible it might be on a gloomy day. It could be difficult or orientate.

The other one is the same aircraft before it was painted black. The only problem is i dont know what colours it is. I know the colours its supposed to be, but its clearly a right old patchwork of colours and if i can work out what they are a war weary patchwork Hurricane is quite appealing.

Thoughts?

Don Fry23/12/2019 10:32:43
4297 forum posts
49 photos

You could always go freehand on the second one. I assume you can work out about when the photo was taken to get a guess a date to give the basic colours in use on that date. No one will know. Artistic licence. Just lie confidently if asked.

Rough as dogs ain't it. You can imagine a painting crew. Don't come to dinner until that thing is done. Don't forget the primer, or the paint falls off. Right, they think, where's the yard brush.

Jon - Laser Engines23/12/2019 12:03:13
5010 forum posts
200 photos

They didnt mess about getting a factory finish thats for sure.

It should be dark green/ocean grey top sides with black undersides as it was a night fighter. However its clear from the photos that the dark green on the fuselage and rudder has been painted over with some sort of lighter colour. I think its the green thats been painted over instead of green painted badly as the lower section of the rudder seems to have a nice outline of normal dark green but then the rest is more of a dogs dinner. The section of grey paint in front of the tail is also lighter than the grey on the fuselage further forward. The A on the sqn code should also be light grey but its clearly brighter than the LK so i think the A is probably white.

If i do go for this paint job i think i will wing it and go with a best guess and probably use the correct colours but mix up some with a dash of white in it before badly brush painting over the relevant areas before rubbing the whole lot down with some wet n dry. I will just have to keep that photo handy to explain my apparent inability to paint!

This photo shows a bit of the top side. Again it looks like the green areas have been overpainted with something lighter

here is the rest of that photo of the aircraft with its sqn friends. Clearly they didnt really care what colour they were all painted as they are all a bit of a mess. I note that the lighter colour grey in front of the tail looks similar to the colour of the right wingtip, nose and the lighter areas on many of the other aircraft.

Chris Walby23/12/2019 12:47:55
1054 forum posts
253 photos

I agree with Don, as the original was mostly likely never one scheme for any length of time and just got patched and painted with whatever came to hand, so just pick a photo and base it on that, who's to say you are wrong.

PS Nice colour scheme, should be near impossible to see in the winter afternoon sky....Only the howl from the V twin will give anyone a clue you are coming in for a low pass!

Don Fry23/12/2019 13:36:54
4297 forum posts
49 photos

Totally disagree Jon. You should very carefully brush paint it, making it look rubbish. There is a difference. On thing to bear in mind, use a scale sized brush. Then the funny looking paint line on the port leading edge looks naturally closer to the original. Artists shop sell REALY nice flat brushes that are just exact miniatures to standard decorators paintbrushes. Interesting scheme. Different.

Realy bright navigation lights might be beneficial.

Jon - Laser Engines23/12/2019 16:13:54
5010 forum posts
200 photos

I have a few 'scale' paint brushes to hand an was intending to use one of those to get the right looking strokes. I just have to decide on the exact colour.

The black paint on the leading edge is likely to have worn off as they used 'night' paint for that and while very dark it was also hopelessly fragile and would wear off very quickly. They developed 'special night' to replace it and this was more hard wearing. To simulate the worn paint i was going to scuff it up with some 400 wet n dry as i have done this in the past and it work a treat.

I did have a quick stab at some photoshop work and came up with the following. All i did was slap some light grey over the green with the opacity set low. The idea was to then turn it black and white to see if i was in the right ball park for a real colour. Clearly this is very basic but its pointing me the right direction should i decide to go with this paint job

hurricane_gb_87_sqngrey.jpg

hurricane_gb_87_sqn.jpg

In the case that the model is very hard to orientate in low light i was considering slapping some period appropriate roundels under the wings. They shouldnt be there really, but if it make the thing easier to fly then its always an option and i suspect that only the real rivet counters will notice its wrong.

Jon - Laser Engines23/12/2019 16:19:56
5010 forum posts
200 photos

oh and i found this photo of another aircraft in the squadron. From this image it seems clear that the grey has been slapped on top of the green. around the fin and rudder as well as under the tail. But, clearly the green has also been painted on in a fairly slapdash manor as well as the R of the sqn code and the roundel both show mistakes where they have been over painted.

If i do finally go with this paint job i can also fit those long range fuel tanks for something a bit different

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 23/12/2019 16:20:35

Don Fry23/12/2019 16:31:40
4297 forum posts
49 photos

I think that is a winner.

I dont usuallly do eulogies, but anyone who climbs into that, has to have more trust in the airframe/engine fitters than the paint crew.

Jon - Laser Engines23/12/2019 16:51:25
5010 forum posts
200 photos

especially as thy were flying them at night. I spoke to a hurricane night fighter pilot once and his description of how dark it was would get me banned from the forum as it was far from politically correct.

But we got the message and he even went so far as to say that firing the guns was like turning on a strobe at a nightclub and could very disorientating so you had to pick your shots carefully. The little vanes on the nose between the cockpit and cowl are also there as glare guards so the exhausts didnt distract the pilot.

Jon - Laser Engines05/01/2020 17:31:14
5010 forum posts
200 photos

Its been a little while since i posted an update as not a great deal has been going on, at least, not visibly.

Its all been boring stuff like final fitting of fuel tanks, fuel proofing the tank bay and general tidying up of all the construction as well as the usual rinse and repeat of filling and sanding, priming and sanding etc.

Now all of that stuff is out of the way i have been able to add the litho panels to the fuselage side and modified the hatch cover to meet the cowling. The cowl itself has had the exhaust slots cut to allow me to stretch it slightly for a perfect fit.

The wing has been sanded to within an inch of its life and i then couldnt resist shooting it with a can of black spray paint i had on the shelf just to see how it would look. I kinda like it, but i also kinda like the natural aluminium finish i ended up with on the flaps after i finished them with aluminium tape. A polished aluminium Hurricane is really tempting but i dont think its worth it on this model as there is too much to put right on the overall surface finish so i am leaning back towards the idea of a night fighter.

hurri 15.jpg

hurri 14.jpg

Jon - Laser Engines19/01/2020 17:02:14
5010 forum posts
200 photos

Not sure how much interest there is since we stopped arguing about swastika's but the Hurricane is still moving along.

Most of the work has been fiddly and there is not much to show but a few milestones have been reached with the ailerons and flaps installed temporarily. The ailerons have been held up as i apparently lost their hinges but i had enough to install them and set up the servos.

The flaps have been installed using screws as i intend to make them removable in case the get damaged in a belly landing for example. I need to get their servos and linkages installed then then are more or less done.

I have also added some minor scale detail to the top wing surface. I am not going mad so there are just a few bits to break up the smooth surface.

I have also had another go at colouring in a black and white photo. Using colours lifted from a moderns photo of a hurricane i did some stuff in photoshop and came up with the following. Its not 100% by any means, but it gives me something to aim for

hurricaneiic_87sqncolour.jpg

Don Fry19/01/2020 17:36:49
4297 forum posts
49 photos

That point in a build where there is a months worth of bits to do. Nothing much to show. I am amused when someone is selling a bare airframe, not fitted together, no bits done, and the say 80% complete. That is still a nice colour scheme.

Chris Walby19/01/2020 18:19:59
1054 forum posts
253 photos

Still following so don't stop posting as its always handy to look back on some threads to see how they progressed. I was recently looking at a 2013 thread which was really handy as it had the info I needed.

Jon - Laser Engines20/01/2020 14:59:05
5010 forum posts
200 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 19/01/2020 17:36:49:

That point in a build where there is a months worth of bits to do. Nothing much to show. I am amused when someone is selling a bare airframe, not fitted together, no bits done, and the say 80% complete. That is still a nice colour scheme.

yep. Whenever a model gets the point where i think i have a handful of 10 minute jobs to finish i know its about 2 months away!

Chris, i will keep going and i have a MkII version of my colourised photo as i think the grey was too blue last time.

hurricaneiic_87sqncolour.jpg

Martyn K20/01/2020 15:14:33
5033 forum posts
3677 photos

I have given up with all black aeroplanes. I find them a nightmare to try and sort out their orientation.

We used to colour Free Flight contest models all black - especially the undersides, Black maintains its colour 'depth' or density at a distance and in the murk. However - try and find an all black model on the ground after its blown over...

Martyn

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us