Forum sponsored by CML

John A's Sabre build

PSS F-86F Sabre build blog

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John A H10/12/2019 17:33:07
133 forum posts
160 photos

22. Position and glue in the rest of the outboard ribs and R1.

sabre9593.jpg

23. After putting on the spar shear webs remove the wing from the wing jig and cut out and open up the slots in the lower wing skin.

Finally you can slot in the pylons and see if it all work. If the release wire is tight when the pylons are in open out the holes in the pylons a little at a time until it slides freely and spring is able to close it. If the pylons end up a little loose it is not an issue as this can be sorted when the weapon load is built onto them.

The next step is to make up a custom servo horn. If you don't install the "2 stage" release option then a standard horn will do the trick (as on the A4 Skyhawk).

If you managed to read all that then I hope it makes sense and is useful to someone. Hopefully haven't put anybody off adding drop tanks, it looks more complicated than it is when written down and only using drop tanks will reduce much of the "fiddly" steps.

Steve McLaren10/12/2019 20:07:54
229 forum posts
244 photos

Very impressive work again John. But It's too late for me, I've already added the top wing skin. So where did I put those magnets?

Peter Garsden15/12/2019 14:50:47
1661 forum posts
1238 photos

Agree completely with Steve, very impressive. As I am going to attempt fuselage speed brakes, I will run out of channels on the receiver as it is as I am also going for flaps. I also worry about panicking on landing trying to drop 2 lots of munitions before I touch down. Can't wait to see it working in flight. Presumably, though it doesn't require a high torque servo to operate it as it is simply sliding a loose fitting wire out of a hole?

John A H17/12/2019 03:14:54
133 forum posts
160 photos

Peter, both lots of munitions can be dropped at the same time if required. On the A4 Skyhawk I used a Hitec MG65 for the release and on this model have a Savox servo of similar power. The Sabre release drop has a bit more "work" to do as it is pulling against the spring, otherwise it just needs to overcome the friction of the wire in the slots/pylons.

Phil Cooke12/01/2020 10:06:20
2324 forum posts
1598 photos

John,

A while back in your blog you stated 'I will make up a custom servo horn out of glass fibre so that the opposite wing release has as straight a pull as possible'.

Will this be bolted to an existing servo horn with splines and fit tailored to your servo? I need to do something similar on mine, as the supplied Hitec HS-85 servo arms are tiny and its clear with my set up i need longer arms at a specific angle to equal out the pushrod throws. Was planning on bolting a home made arm to the Hitec arm - is that what you're doing too?

John A H12/01/2020 12:50:05
133 forum posts
160 photos

Hi Phil, yes I was going to bolt a oversize fibreglass plate to the servo horn (on the HS85 perhaps use the circular horn so you can have 4 attachment screws). Test out the position required for the wire attachment and drill holes in fibreglass plate then you can shape/cut down the plate around the attachment holes (if that makes sense).

John A H12/01/2020 13:05:16
133 forum posts
160 photos

The lack of larger horns for the HS85 is why I ended up using a HS65 on the A4 Skyhawk. With my Sabre needing even more travel, due to the two stage/inner outer munitions drop, non of the standard servo horns were big enough. Also a custom horn means you can line up the holes for the best “straight pull” without been stuck with the standard horn geometry.

Phil Cooke12/01/2020 13:29:38
2324 forum posts
1598 photos

I've just discovered that Futaba servo horns fit Hitec splines - so I've made one from a larger Futaba output arm - sorted!

N Pritchett15/01/2020 23:06:30
11 forum posts

Great work.

Don’t want to be a party pooper but: I believe you need to clear it with the CAA to have permission to drop anything from a flying object!

I know this used to be the case years ago when, in a previous existence, I ran a company manufacturing sports kites here in the UK. At the festivals some display teams needed to get this permission/license to drop small quantities of sweets from kites as they were covered by the same laws.

Martin Gay16/01/2020 09:16:58
302 forum posts
243 photos

Hi Neil,

We fit releasable underwing stores so that we can clean up the bottom of the wing just before landing. Otherwise the drop tanks can catch in the grass and make the model to cartwheel causing lots of damage.

Much safer that way!

Martin.

Andy Meade16/01/2020 09:56:07
2694 forum posts
682 photos

I've never known anyone need a "license" for dropping anything from an RC model - from toffee bombers at shows, to bomb-drop competitions. The ANO states that nothing should leave the aircraft in flight unintentionally (they are dropped as required), and of course to never endanger anyone with an aircraft (risk assessment on what you are dropping covers this well).

Tally ho, bombs gone! cool

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us