Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Unexpected behaviour of SwE in Taranis

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Allan Bennett05/12/2019 19:59:37
1704 forum posts
49 photos

I've just been programming a new flybarless controller for one of my helis and, to make sure there were no legacy settings that might mess things up, I started with a new model in my Taranis. But I'm getting unexpected behaviour from SwE controlling channel 8:

I only need two of its three positions, so I've programmed !E up as 100% and E up as 0%. That should give me 0% with the switch up, and 100% with it at mid position and down, shouldn't it? But OpenTX Configurator simulator shows that channel 8 is at 0% for up (away from my body) and mid switch positions, and only at 100% for the down position.

I can live with it because voice alerts tell me what's going on, but I'd prefer to have 0% at only one position of the switch. Any ideas what's wrong please?

Geoff S06/12/2019 01:18:25
3700 forum posts
29 photos

I use a similar method for programming rate switches to make sure the middle position (if I only want 2 rates) doesn't leave me with no connection at all on a control surface (another potential gotcha) and it works perfectly. So there's somethimg strange somwwhere. I suggest you start by doing the same with another switch and see how that works.

Geoff

GrahamC06/12/2019 09:16:09
1240 forum posts
196 photos

All sounds very odd to me!

I have to confess that initially I thought you were talking about this happening on the Radio. (As opposed to the simulator) In that case, would suspect that your Taranis had been opened and the switch was round the wrong way.

If that is what's happening in the software on your PC, I can only think that there must be something else somewhere in the programming doing that. Is there a throttle cut set elswhere on Switch E?

MattyB06/12/2019 09:59:47
2098 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by GrahamC on 06/12/2019 09:16:09:

All sounds very odd to me!

I have to confess that initially I thought you were talking about this happening on the Radio. (As opposed to the simulator) In that case, would suspect that your Taranis had been opened and the switch was round the wrong way.

If that is what's happening in the software on your PC, I can only think that there must be something else somewhere in the programming doing that. Is there a throttle cut set elswhere on Switch E?

Agreed, it feels like there must be something else set up on that switch that is causing this behaviour.

Allan, can you post a picture of your Mixer and Inputs screens to let us understand what is configured there at present? Alternatively I'm happy to look at it for you when I pop round to do the LMAS stuff I just sent you a message about.

smiley

Allan Bennett06/12/2019 10:40:46
1704 forum posts
49 photos

Switch G is my throttle cut, and it's only active on the throttle channel (ch 3). Family business at the moment, but I'll get screen shots later today.

Gary Manuel06/12/2019 11:47:05
2276 forum posts
1552 photos

Allan.

Worth looking at Global Functions and Special Functions too. Both have potential to cause this.

P.S. One thing to try is replacing your !E Up = 100% with E-- = 100% and EDown = 100% just to see whether defining all 3 switch positions sorts out the problem.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 06/12/2019 11:54:10

Mike Blandford06/12/2019 11:54:08
645 forum posts
25 photos

CH8: MAX Weight(+100%) Switch(!SE^)

Does what you require.

Mike

Allan Bennett06/12/2019 14:47:15
1704 forum posts
49 photos

A couple of good suggestions there Gary and Mike, and I'm going to use Mike's because it's a one-liner.

In fact, checking my mixes screen again, I see that that's how I've already programmed SA which is supposed to function the same on channel 5. My mistake was to use I7:Att as the source, instead of MAX, when programming SE, because I'd assigned SE to I7 in the Inputs screen.

clipboard01.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!