Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Rob's F-86F NASA 228 research aircraft build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
robk30/04/2020 12:06:11
120 forum posts
167 photos

So here is how I fixed the issue of using transparent decal paper on dark backgrounds. The pictures speak for themselves really. I used low-tack FROG tape to cut out the mask, cheap acrylic art paint brushed onto the model.

img_2316.jpg

img_2318.jpg

img_2319.jpg

img_2323.jpg

robk30/04/2020 12:15:46
120 forum posts
167 photos

Here's the model with all the panel lines and decals added. Just some weathering to do before a final coat of varnish or lacquer. I have a tin of satin varnish here but I will have to brush that on. Or I could get a spray can of acrylic lacquer from Halfords (they are open if you order in advance online) but they only have gloss. I have done a sample and I'm tempted to try the brushing. Any advice?

Also I forgot to mention earlier that I set up the CG and it needed a further 50gms of lead in the front of the battery box - Im just using 4 AA sized Nimhs for my receiver battery. Total weight inc. battery is 1.92kg (4.23lbs)

img_2324.jpg

Phil Cooke30/04/2020 13:05:17
2588 forum posts
1824 photos

Hiya Rob - great looking model with all the colours and details on - fantastic!

I think you will add far more weight if you apply the top coat with a brush, better (for weight) just to give it a light dusting with a spray can in my experience.

Peter Garsden30/04/2020 17:19:57
1728 forum posts
1297 photos

Looks fantastic Rob.

I agree with Phil. I also use Halfords acrylic varnish. I find that a light dusting will be satin finish whereas a proper full coat will be gloss. I have used the same can for both PSSA scale in satin and mouldies with a thick gloss.

Graham Green30/04/2020 19:41:18
10 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Rob, Great job, Why not try the Molotow spray range that you used for main paint job, they do Matt, Satin and Gloss spray cans. Just a thought!

Anyway keep up the good work, take care and be safe.

Edited By Graham Green on 30/04/2020 19:41:47

robk01/05/2020 11:04:07
120 forum posts
167 photos

Thanks for that advice guys. Graham - I had tried to buy the Molotow stuff when I got the paint but it was out of stock and still is - its great paint so I guess it would have been as good. Anyway, I have ordered Halfords acrylic lacquer as Peter suggest - and they have satin too which looks a better match as it says its for spraying over all paints. The gloss says says its for metallics (though Im sure it would have been ok). Im waiting for a little jar of tamiya silver to do my weathering - my old one was empty.

McG 696901/05/2020 13:38:32
3242 forum posts
1230 photos

Hi Rob,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a short note concerning your 'rescue' decals.

You're right when you state that light colours show difficulties to cover darker ones, like your red fuselage.

Painting a white layer in between, as you did, brings a far better result. But it might be quite fiddly depending on the shape of your decals.

After several tests, the best result I obtained was bringing the water transfer onto thin white self-adhesive vinyl, cutting the needed shape and apply it as a vinyl marking.

Hi-end vinyl like Oracal even has a grey tinted support layer under the white to give a 'shield' to the underlying colour.

It's a lot easier than painting a layer in between. wink

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

robk10/05/2020 12:44:33
120 forum posts
167 photos

Thanks Chris - that sounds like another good way to do it.

Im nearly there now. I have done some 'light' weathering, just a bit of silver paint around the scratch points and black paint to form dirt lines.

img_2337.jpg

Edited By robk on 10/05/2020 12:45:31

robk10/05/2020 12:46:49
120 forum posts
167 photos

And then on to the final coat of sprayed satin lacquer to protect the decals. I masked up the canopy and linkages first.

img_2336.jpg

robk10/05/2020 12:52:00
120 forum posts
167 photos

And here it is finished and ready to go. I reckon it wouldn't have been done without all this enforced 'home' time. Its not going to be the best F86 at the Orme by any means, but I have learned a lot, tried out new processes such as glassing, decals, spray painting so I am glad to have done it. After all the hours put in there will be some butterflies when I chuck it off the edge of a hill - hopefully in the not too distant future...img_2340.jpg

img_2342.jpg

img_2341.jpg

Martin Gay10/05/2020 17:50:38
396 forum posts
255 photos

Very nice model, Rob.

I look forward to watching it fly on the Orme.

Martin.

Phil Cooke11/05/2020 00:13:12
2588 forum posts
1824 photos

Great job Rob - lovely to see another Sabre reach the finish line! many congrats on a lovely looking model!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!