Forum sponsored by CML

BMFA Membership Card

Is it worth having?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Manuel07/12/2019 16:59:46
2190 forum posts
1540 photos

BMFA renewal now includes the option of a high quality plastic membership card at a cost of £3.50.

The card apparently gives access to a range of discounts and other benefits applicable to the hobby. It appears to be a "Vectis Card".

I have looked on the VECTIS WEB SITE for details of the benefits that are on offer, but the details aren't visible until you have a Vectis membership number which appears on the card.

Does anyone already have a Vectis card or know where details of the available offers can be seen?

cymaz07/12/2019 17:58:09
9017 forum posts
1187 photos

Does THIS help??

Gary Manuel07/12/2019 20:33:47
2190 forum posts
1540 photos
Posted by cymaz on 07/12/2019 17:58:09:

Does THIS help??

I'm not sure whether it helps or not Cymaz.

I've never heard of most of them and certainly never used them (apart from W H Smiths). Is that perhaps because the offers are tailored to the hobby / company / business that's partnering with the card company? Maybe these offers are more suited to Driving Instructors than Modellers?

I was rather hoping to see companies more in tune with Hobbies / Tools / Boys Toys and other technical stuff. When Andy Symons did his presentation at our AGM. I thought I saw companies such as Halfords, Screwfix, Sky etc on his presentation slide.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 07/12/2019 20:34:27

Scott Edwards 208/12/2019 07:59:59
197 forum posts
96 photos

Search for 'Vectis Card' on Google Play and read the reviews. Yikes !

Gary Manuel08/12/2019 12:00:20
2190 forum posts
1540 photos

Thanks for that Scott. Not very good reviews about the App, but the responses suggest that the app has been fixed.

I've downloaded the Android App by searching for Vectis on Google Play Store to see for myself. It appears to be working OK but not finding the stores I would have liked. Only ones I'll use are Halfords = 10% and Go Outdoors = extra 10% off their discount card price. Worth having then, but not going to change the way I shop.

STOP PRESS - I found THIS which allows you to use your browser to search for discount locations near you. This is exactly what I was looking for to start with. Not sure why you can't access this from Vectis web site, which asks for your membership number before presumably taking you to the link I found..

Edited By Gary Manuel on 08/12/2019 12:11:14

Bob Cotsford08/12/2019 13:06:31
8248 forum posts
454 photos

Good link Gary. I ordered the card just because I prefer having a plastic card to hand rather than keeping images or links on my phone, but that site bought up 4 pages of places that give discounts within 5 miles of me. I see a lot of burritos and tacos in my future!

Capt Kremen08/12/2019 13:30:02
329 forum posts
112 photos

Looks like a lot of 'hoops 'n hurdles' and restrictions apply on most venues/shops, In most, if not all, it's not a straight present the card and get 10% off. e.g. Obtain a voucher, only valid on certain items, must be presented before getting the bill etc. etc. Will be interested to hear user experience(s) once/if it gets wide spread adoption by the BMFA community.

Michael Adams 308/12/2019 13:39:03
145 forum posts
2 photos

Do not think I will be bothered, smiley

Mike.

Michael Adams 308/12/2019 13:41:52
145 forum posts
2 photos

This was the last time I saw this glider it was a fly away the best one I had, can't remember the name ?

Mike.

Michael Adams 308/12/2019 13:47:25
145 forum posts
2 photos

can any one name it??

Mike.

Tony Packe08/12/2019 18:00:37
14 forum posts

I received a Re-Affiliation pack from the BMFA. In it was a leaflet describing the advantages of the card. It showed a lot of logo's including B&Q, Argos and Amazon, plus the details that it will give you 4% off all purchases at Tesco's and 5% off at Sainsburys. I also went on-line as per Gary Manuel's post and only Halfords came up in the search, even though I have a B&Q and Argos just down the road. Interesting that.

Edited By Tony Packe on 08/12/2019 18:01:29

Bob Cotsford08/12/2019 18:07:22
8248 forum posts
454 photos
Posted by Capt Kremen on 08/12/2019 13:30:02:

Looks like a lot of 'hoops 'n hurdles' and restrictions apply on most venues/shops, In most, if not all, it's not a straight present the card and get 10% off. e.g. Obtain a voucher, only valid on certain items, must be presented before getting the bill etc. etc. Will be interested to hear user experience(s) once/if it gets wide spread adoption by the BMFA community.

Around Birmingham area a quick sample only came up with a couple (like Halfords) where a voucher was needed, most (like Prezzo) state proof of current valid card only, ie have the card on you!

Richard Acland08/12/2019 19:41:06
94 forum posts
31 photos

The Blue Light card is worth having. It is available to a wide range of members of the Emergency services and ex forces personnel. Also the Defence Discount card for serving and ex forces has some good discounts.

Gary Manuel08/12/2019 20:00:00
2190 forum posts
1540 photos
Posted by Richard Acland on 08/12/2019 19:41:06:

The Blue Light card is worth having. It is available to a wide range of members of the Emergency services and ex forces personnel. Also the Defence Discount card for serving and ex forces has some good discounts.

I'm not eligible for either of these cards, so I'll have to make do with the BMFA card.

On a more positive note, the BMFA card is just as good as either of these two for smoothing out glass fibre, scraping ice off car windscreens etc wink

Edited By Gary Manuel on 08/12/2019 20:03:44

Neil Hobbs11/02/2020 07:17:19
2 forum posts

On renewal of my BMFA membership I paid £3.50 for their Vectis membership card last December and still have not received it. As an armed forces veteran I have a Defences Discount Card and the Vectis card gives similar discounts eg. 10% off at Go Outdoors etc. So it is definitely worth having. I have emailed Vectis to find out what has happened with the BMFA card

Cuban811/02/2020 09:57:40
2866 forum posts
1 photos

Only one club member out of almost a hundred that I put through via the Portal requested and paid the extra few quid for the card. He simply preferred a physical card to show at indoor meets rather than worrying about the discount side. He does have a smartphone and is IT savvy. AFAIK, he's still waiting for it.

Everything on my phone with a hard copy of my insurance in the glove box of my car as a back up. Whatever works for the individual.

Andy Symons - BMFA11/02/2020 10:31:31
611 forum posts
1 photos

Cards have been posted out.

Nigel Heather17/02/2020 14:55:58
239 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Neil Hobbs on 11/02/2020 07:17:19:

On renewal of my BMFA membership I paid £3.50 for their Vectis membership card last December and still have not received it. As an armed forces veteran I have a Defences Discount Card and the Vectis card gives similar discounts eg. 10% off at Go Outdoors etc. So it is definitely worth having. I have emailed Vectis to find out what has happened with the BMFA card

I'm in the same situation as you. In fact my wife has a scheme too so I already have access to two schemes. I'm expecting the BMFA one to be identical, same retailers, same discounts.

I did think twice about getting it but gave in because

(i) it is only £3.50 so not much to try

(ii) I like the idea of the BMFA membership card

(iii) The inital advertising put out for the reward card included the Amazon logo. This is what made the decision for me. But to be honest I will be very surprised if Amazon are included, they aren't in any of the schemes that I have seen and I have seen quite a few.

It will also be interesting to see how easy it is to use. The two I have access to at the moment are a bit of a faff to be honest. The way these schemes are presented might make you think that you turn up at John Lewis, flash your card and get 5% discount. But that isn't how they work, you have to first buy vouchers off the reward company - so you buy a £100 John Lewis card, they charge you £95, and they provide you with one or more voucher codes which you can use for online purcahses. the other way you can do it is to request a John Lewis top up card which is sent to you in the post. When it arrives you can link it with your reward account and then add funds to it. You can then use the top up card in-store.

I'm pretty much expecting the Vectris card to work exactly the same way.

My card should turn up this week so will find out. Hopefully, Amazon are included but not holding my breath.

Cheers,

Nigel

Kevin 21618/02/2020 07:15:31
222 forum posts

Has anyone received theirs yet? They were apparently posted on the 11th Feb - must be coming by shankes's pony express.

Nigel Heather18/02/2020 07:51:47
239 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Kevin 216 on 18/02/2020 07:15:31:

Has anyone received theirs yet? They were apparently posted on the 11th Feb - must be coming by shankes's pony express.

Not as of the weekend. I am working away from home this week so won't know until Thursday evening. But if it really was sent out on 11th then it should be waiting for me when I get back.

From my experience the term "it has been posted" can get used very loosely, especially off the back of previous delays. It often doesn't mean that it has actually been posted, more that it is entering into a lengthy process that will culminate in it being posted.

Also posted from where? Where are the cards being made? "It has been posted" could mean that the cards have been sent in bulk from the printers (who may be in China) to the BMFA (or appointed distributer) who on receipt will then have to separate the consignment into individual addressed letters to be sent out to members.

Cheers,

Nigel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us