Forum sponsored by CML

BMFA Membership Card

Is it worth having?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
paul d18/02/2020 08:02:47
135 forum posts
8 photos

I had a email saying it should be with me by the 19th.

John Privett18/02/2020 08:50:57
6037 forum posts
240 photos
Posted by Kevin 216 on 18/02/2020 07:15:31:

Has anyone received theirs yet? They were apparently posted on the 11th Feb - must be coming by shankes's pony express.

Nothing yet...

Cuban818/02/2020 09:20:03
2866 forum posts
1 photos

Most of these so called discount cards and schemes are hardly worth the bother. They wouldn't be in existence if they weren't actually in the wider interest of the stores and businesses. The ones for ex-servicemen and the one my wife had as an NHS worker being the exceptions perhaps (they stopped the NHS one a while back, so obviously it was too good!). The BMFA one is an exception, as I suspect that the 'discounts' will be of little interest to the holders who just want a membership card and are happy to pay a few quid for the time being.

Clever marketing and convincing the less cynical among us that we're getting something for nothing is their MO but in truth, they're designed to make you spend more overall and hence pay for the 'discount'. Nothing new.....the oldies will remember Green Shield Stamps and the less well known S&H Pink Stamps. Smoke yourself to death more quickly with the coupons in packets of fags as well back in the day.

My better half has an M&S 'Sparks Card' on which points are collected with each purchase and in theory can be used as a discount. The problem is that the discounted lines are emailed to her as specific items and not as a general discount on all purchases. She has thousands of points but can't use them unless she buys something that she doesn't need and never buys anyway. It's clear what they're up to.........M&S can easily see the buying habits of my wife and others so I believe they deliberately avoid sending offers on stuff that they know customers will and do buy regularly in their stores (i.e. a true reward and a thank you for being a loyal customer) but they send offers for stuff that she'd never or very rarely purchase. The discounts seem to follow the same pattern i.e. more expensive top of the range goods (certain clothes, perfumes and financial services as a few examples).

The only scheme that seems to work for me is Nectar. We buy our fuel at Sainsbury's and over the course of the year rack up enough points for a few treats at Christmas - probably about £40 or £50 at most. They were at one time charging a penny or so per litre more than the very cheapest other local supermarket (ASDA) but have reduced their prices to match recently, so a better deal if you use it correctly.

I don't believe in  paying  up front to make a saving........................the only exception to my rule is our IWM Premium Membership that costs £80 annually for two people and gives unlimited access to Duxford and other IWM sites, ticket discounts and certain other purchases. It's around £40 for a day ticket to Duxford for two people and as we visit several times year, we make a considerable saving overall.

The fact is if you want to save money, simply buy less 'stuff' that you really don't need..................

Edited By Cuban8 on 18/02/2020 09:33:48

Nigel Heather18/02/2020 12:04:39
239 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 18/02/2020 09:20:03:

Most of these so called discount cards and schemes are hardly worth the bother. They wouldn't be in existence if they weren't actually in the wider interest of the stores and businesses. The ones for ex-servicemen and the one my wife had as an NHS worker being the exceptions perhaps (they stopped the NHS one a while back, so obviously it was too good!). The BMFA one is an exception, as I suspect that the 'discounts' will be of little interest to the holders who just want a membership card and are happy to pay a few quid for the time being.

Clever marketing and convincing the less cynical among us that we're getting something for nothing is their MO but in truth, they're designed to make you spend more overall and hence pay for the 'discount'. Nothing new.....the oldies will remember Green Shield Stamps and the less well known S&H Pink Stamps. Smoke yourself to death more quickly with the coupons in packets of fags as well back in the day.

My better half has an M&S 'Sparks Card' on which points are collected with each purchase and in theory can be used as a discount. The problem is that the discounted lines are emailed to her as specific items and not as a general discount on all purchases. She has thousands of points but can't use them unless she buys something that she doesn't need and never buys anyway. It's clear what they're up to.........M&S can easily see the buying habits of my wife and others so I believe they deliberately avoid sending offers on stuff that they know customers will and do buy regularly in their stores (i.e. a true reward and a thank you for being a loyal customer) but they send offers for stuff that she'd never or very rarely purchase. The discounts seem to follow the same pattern i.e. more expensive top of the range goods (certain clothes, perfumes and financial services as a few examples).

The only scheme that seems to work for me is Nectar. We buy our fuel at Sainsbury's and over the course of the year rack up enough points for a few treats at Christmas - probably about £40 or £50 at most. They were at one time charging a penny or so per litre more than the very cheapest other local supermarket (ASDA) but have reduced their prices to match recently, so a better deal if you use it correctly.

I don't believe in paying up front to make a saving........................the only exception to my rule is our IWM Premium Membership that costs £80 annually for two people and gives unlimited access to Duxford and other IWM sites, ticket discounts and certain other purchases. It's around £40 for a day ticket to Duxford for two people and as we visit several times year, we make a considerable saving overall.

The fact is if you want to save money, simply buy less 'stuff' that you really don't need..................

Edited By Cuban8 on 18/02/2020 09:33:48

Agree 100%. I already have access to two schemes through work and to be honest I barely use those.

I went for the BMFA one primarily for the plastic card and only then because it was 'throw away money'. Even then I questioned whether it was worth it, but what tipped me over the edge was one piece of marketing included the Amazon logo suggesting that this is one of the discounted retailers. If so that will be a winner for me but I'm not holding my breath because Amazon have not participated in any of the schemes I have seen previously and I can't see the BMFA one being any different.

As for the discounts - I do use them occasionally but it requires that perfect storm of the retailer having what I want at the best price and the discount being worth the hassle and anxiety.

Cheers,

Nigel

Cuban818/02/2020 12:24:02
2866 forum posts
1 photos

I think it's good that the BMFA plastic card is available to those that want one, it's not dear when one includes postage etc and if it makes life easier for an individual then that's great. I don't see any benefit myself because I rarely have to prove my BMFA these days, except when flying at the occasional meet at OW and then it's on my phone and hard copy in the car.

Talking of discounts............I did actually get a few cents off a Hobbyking purchase a while back for being in their words "a fantastic loyal Premier Customer" or something like that. Made me laugh.

Gary Manuel18/02/2020 12:30:48
2190 forum posts
1540 photos

I chose to have a plastic card for pure commercial reasons.

I regularly use "Go Outdoors". With the 10% discount offered by the card, I only need to spend £35 to cover the cost of the card. No brainer really.

PS I hope it comes quickly cos' I'm ready for a new pair of waterproof walking shoes - and there's a sale on at the moment wink

john stones 118/02/2020 12:59:41
11160 forum posts
1503 photos
Posted by Gary Manuel on 18/02/2020 12:30:48:

I regularly use "Go Outdoors". With the 10% discount offered by the card, I only need to spend £35 to cover the cost of the card. No brainer really.

PS I hope it comes quickly cos' I'm ready for a new pair of waterproof walking shoes - and there's a sale on at the moment wink

Sale on at Sports Direct again, good boots at good prices.

Richard Acland18/02/2020 13:17:02
94 forum posts
31 photos

Has anyone who has paid for this card actually received one yes or no. I paid for mine in December and it still hasnt come.

Edited By Richard Acland on 18/02/2020 13:30:14

paul d18/02/2020 13:23:03
135 forum posts
8 photos

No....

Gary Manuel18/02/2020 13:41:25
2190 forum posts
1540 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 18/02/2020 12:59:41:

Sale on at Sports Direct again, good boots at good prices.

I don't use Sports Direct for ethical reasons. I'll stick to Go Outdoors thanks.

Nigel Heather18/02/2020 15:16:29
239 forum posts
7 photos

Is that online or in-store?

If it works like other reward schemes do, it's not a matter of flopping your card on counter in the Go Outdoors store. Instead it is likely to use the one or both of the following methods

1) You see something that you want to buy at Go Outdoors for £100. You log into the reward site and buy a £100 voucher for £90. You are provided with one or more vouchers totalling £100. You can then use the vouchers online or in-store.  This is best for one off purchases.

2) You log into the reward site and request a Go Outdoors top up card. You wait and it arrives in the post. You log into reward site and link your Go Outdoors top up card with your account. You can then add funds to the card which you can then spend online or in store.  This is more convenient if you shop there regularly. 

Don't get me wrong, the discount is genuine it's just that it needs some planning, and sometimes you think the £2 I am going to save is not worth the hassle.

The other thing to remember, is that if you decide not to buy the thing from the retailer, or they are out of stock, or you return it because it is faulty or not fit you get vouchers back. So you are committed to spending at that retailer.

Don't forget to also google for discount codes, for example until the end of February you can get 20% off Go Outdoors with the discount code

SPECIAL20

you can combine this with you reward site discount so you will 28% discount in total.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 15:18:17

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 15:21:05

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 15:21:20

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 15:22:01

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 15:26:18

Gary Manuel18/02/2020 16:16:20
2190 forum posts
1540 photos

Go Outdoors doesn't work like that Nigel.

You just need to show your card at the till for an extra 10% on top of the Go Outdoors Discount Card. You do need to ring for a discount code for on-line purchases though.

See HERE for Go Outdoor / Vectis terms.

The SPECIAL20 looks good if it works, but I do prefer to try shoes on before I buy them.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 18/02/2020 16:17:02

Nigel Heather18/02/2020 18:39:50
239 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Gary Manuel on 18/02/2020 16:16:20:

Go Outdoors doesn't work like that Nigel.

You just need to show your card at the till for an extra 10% on top of the Go Outdoors Discount Card. You do need to ring for a discount code for on-line purchases though.

See HERE for Go Outdoor / Vectis terms.

The SPECIAL20 looks good if it works, but I do prefer to try shoes on before I buy them.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 18/02/2020 16:17:02

Does that mean that you have got your BMFA card - oh I see, that is how Vectris cards work so the BMFA one should work that way.  Hopefully there are a few more retailer deals like that

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 18:42:08

Gary Manuel18/02/2020 19:11:10
2190 forum posts
1540 photos

No I have not got my card yet Nigel, but I noted from the BMFA GoMembership portal that the BMFA card I was signing up for was a Vectis Card (not Vectris).

If you want to know what Vectis deals are available in your area, click HERE and enter your postcode.

Nigel Heather19/02/2020 11:13:15
239 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Gary Manuel on 18/02/2020 19:11:10:

No I have not got my card yet Nigel, but I noted from the BMFA GoMembership portal that the BMFA card I was signing up for was a Vectis Card (not Vectris).

If you want to know what Vectis deals are available in your area, click HERE and enter your postcode.

Thank you, that is very helpful. Disappointing list in my postcode to be honest - but I agree that the card is so cheap I only have to use it once or twice to cover the cost.

I'm at work so don't have the BMFA Card flyer with me so I can't say for sure but I seem to remember that it displayed the logos of all sorts of famous name retailers, but these are not coming up in the link that you kindly provided.

Cheers,

Nigel

Gary Manuel19/02/2020 11:48:53
2190 forum posts
1540 photos

Yes Nigel, I agree.

When I saw the PowerPoint presentation, I thought I saw the likes of Screwfix, B@Q, Argos, Asda?

I guess companies who accept Vectis come and go as their needs to attract more customers changes.

Nigel Heather19/02/2020 12:36:15
239 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Gary Manuel on 19/02/2020 11:48:53:

Yes Nigel, I agree.

When I saw the PowerPoint presentation, I thought I saw the likes of Screwfix, B@Q, Argos, Asda?

I guess companies who accept Vectis come and go as their needs to attract more customers changes.

Yes, I saw Amazon at one point which is what convinced me to go for it. I like the idea of the plastic card but on the other hand let me count the number of times I have had to show my membership card in the last 35 years, bear with me it's a lot of years ..................................... and the results are in - NEVER.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ace19/02/2020 16:49:08
291 forum posts
17 photos

I too looked at some gear from Go Outdoors but the devil is in the detail -

Go Outdoors T & C's for Vectis card use.- Not to be used in conjunction with price guarantee, sale, clearance, WOW deals, multi-buys, bundles or any other offers. crying 2crying 2crying 2

cymaz19/02/2020 17:17:05
9022 forum posts
1187 photos

Screwfix discount cards are great. Had a £10 come through.....new toilet seat purchased for free. No special terms etc. Just turn up and spend it.

Richard Acland19/02/2020 18:40:16
94 forum posts
31 photos

Going back to my original question. Has anyone, or do you know anyone who has paid for this card and has received it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us