Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

BMFA Membership Card

Is it worth having?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Packe19/02/2020 18:47:41
14 forum posts

Not received my card yet. Going back to a previous post, I also remember information regarding discounts on Sainsbury and Tesco shopping which like Amazon and Argos appears to be wishful thinking.

paul d19/02/2020 18:49:47
130 forum posts
8 photos

Richard, again No! I know it's only £3.50 but it's actually starting to p##s me off, I'm not bothered about any discounts it may get me and I know I'll never be asked to show it but......

As a aside my fishing rod licence turned up in 3 days.

Andrew Ray19/02/2020 19:02:58
755 forum posts
19 photos

Just bought a Rab down Alpine jacket cheaper than Go Outdoors, even with the discounts, my boots are from a British manufacturer and fit me better than anything Go Outdoors sell and, Oh, by the way, my BMFA card hasn't arrived either but heck, it's not worth stressing about.

Neil Hobbs19/02/2020 19:05:10
2 forum posts

I joined the BMFA for insurance for my drone but decided I would have a go at fixed wing flying. I think I can fly as good as most but because I have no A certificate I had a load of hassle.
And now I am really peed off about this £3.50 membership card. If I do not attain my A certificate this year I will not be renewing my BMFA membership next year. I have found a cheaper insurer and will go with them and will fly at a non BMFA affiliated club.

Andy Symons - BMFA20/02/2020 08:57:19
611 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Neil Hobbs on 19/02/2020 19:05:10:

I joined the BMFA for insurance for my drone but decided I would have a go at fixed wing flying. I think I can fly as good as most but because I have no A certificate I had a load of hassle.
And now I am really peed off about this £3.50 membership card. If I do not attain my A certificate this year I will not be renewing my BMFA membership next year. I have found a cheaper insurer and will go with them and will fly at a non BMFA affiliated club.

I have got to ask, why do you get hassle for not having an A certificate?

Nigel Heather20/02/2020 09:06:12
239 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Neil Hobbs on 19/02/2020 19:05:10:

Card aside, what hassle have you been having with BMFA clubs.

I've been a member for about 35 years although there have been periods of non-flying during that time.

I don't have a 'A' Certificate either - nothing against it, simply that none of the clubs I have been a member of have required it. The only time it has been an inconvenience is having to waste a few minutes doing the idiot test so I'll probably get round to finally doing it this year.

As for membership card, again I have never been asked to present it, so the piece of card in my wallet has always been sufficient.

Now I have recently enquired at two clubs that have a rule that you can't fly solo without an 'A' Certificate, maybe that is what you encountered. I haven't joined those, but I guess if those are the rules then they have plenty of guidance and help on tap and examiners galore to help you comply.

The card - because I have never had to use mine in 35 years my initial thought was not to bother. I do like the idea of a plastic card but really, does it matter if it will never get used. I know it is only £3.50 but once I had put the £38 membership and the £9 registration in the basket and then the card pushed it over the £50 mark I did wince a bit. The thing that pushed it into the shopping basket was promotional material that showed Amazon as one of the participating retailers (I use them a lot so that seemed a no brainer).

If Amazon really is included then I will be renewing next year and the next and so on. If not it will depend on whether I get any use out of the card, if not, even though it is only £3.50, I probably wouldn't bother again.

Cheers,

Nigel

Gary Manuel20/02/2020 10:12:22
2186 forum posts
1540 photos

Here's a thought.

If it takes until late February for the cards to be ordered and sent out, let's hope that they are valid until the end of February at least, so that we don't have a break in their validity as discount cards next year.

Edit - of course they will be dated as end of December as that's when the BMFA membership expires.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 20/02/2020 10:38:16

Michael Adams 420/02/2020 11:29:12
4 forum posts

Hi, can any one please explain while this is all going on if we do get a beak in the weather and can fly

are we

INSURED I have paid my dues to the BMFA also to the CAA but nothing about INSURANCE.

All so what proof have we got that we are in fact INSURED, is this what this card is all

about??

Mike.

Michael Adams 420/02/2020 11:29:12
4 forum posts

Hi, can any one please explain while this is all going on if we do get a beak in the weather and can fly

are we

INSURED I have paid my dues to the BMFA also to the CAA but nothing about INSURANCE.

All so what proof have we got that we are in fact INSURED, is this what this card is all

about??

Mike.

Andy Symons - BMFA20/02/2020 11:49:22
611 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Michael Adams 4 on 20/02/2020 11:29:12:

are we

about??

Mike.

Yes you are insured from the moment your renew, you should have received your membership documents by email immediately on renewal and they can also be downloaded from the membership portal whenever you choose. The plastic membership card is an optional extra if you chose to have one. They are landing on doormats as I type too.

Andy Symons - BMFA20/02/2020 11:49:24
611 forum posts
1 photos

are we

about??

Mike.

Yes you are insured from the moment your renew, you should have received your membership documents by email immediately on renewal and they can also be downloaded from the membership portal whenever you choose. The plastic membership card is an optional extra if you chose to have one. They are landing on doormats as I type too.

Steve Balaam20/02/2020 11:50:55
117 forum posts

I've printed out my receipts and membership details from the BMFA Membership portal including my payment to the CAA, I've put them in the car just in case I'm challenged by some gold hatter.

eflightray20/02/2020 13:27:09
606 forum posts
128 photos

I wonder how small and what they will weigh ..... the *black box*- (radio data link back to the CAA 'police' , that we will all have to fit next as proof we never flew, in the 'wrong' place, near any buildings, people, animals, how high we flew, how fast we flew, (sure to be speed limits introduced next).

Will planes have to have annual MOT type checks at registered CAA test centres ?, will pilots also have to have health certificates to prove they are fit to operate a transmitter ?

Yet I believe there are over half a million car/van/truck drivers that don't hold a driving licence or insurance, or even undergo a sight test.

I remember when it was a hobby, and we had fun, ....... sad

Ray.

Edited By eflightray on 20/02/2020 13:27:38

Andy Symons - BMFA20/02/2020 13:39:02
611 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by eflightray on 20/02/2020 13:27:09:

I wonder how small and what they will weigh ..... the *black box*- (radio data link back to the CAA 'police' , that we will all have to fit next as proof we never flew, in the 'wrong' place, near any buildings, people, animals, how high we flew, how fast we flew, (sure to be speed limits introduced next).

Will planes have to have annual MOT type checks at registered CAA test centres ?, will pilots also have to have health certificates to prove they are fit to operate a transmitter ?

Yet I believe there are over half a million car/van/truck drivers that don't hold a driving licence or insurance, or even undergo a sight test.

I remember when it was a hobby, and we had fun, ....... sad

Ray.

Edited By eflightray on 20/02/2020 13:27:38

It's still a hobby and we still have fun, just a matter of not getting carried away about things that are either not relevant, minor inconveniences or unrealistic. Get on with your model aircraft flying , enjoy it and have fun, there is absolutely nothing stopping you.

Nigel Heather20/02/2020 16:21:37
239 forum posts
7 photos

are we

about??

Mike.

If you log onto the BMFA portal you can print out your paper membership card. This is an A4 piece of paper, the bottom 25% is the card that you can stick together and pop in your wallet and the top 75% is your insurance certificate.

Cheers,

Nigel

Tony Packe20/02/2020 17:47:14
14 forum posts

The "black box" won't be much bigger than a receiver, and it's to identify your "drone" so a commercial device can take avoiding action. Read the link:- **LINK**

Expect a hear a lot about BVLOS in the future. Sorry this is going off topic.

Membership card arrived in the post this morning by the way.

Edited By Tony Packe on 20/02/2020 17:49:43

SR 7120/02/2020 19:15:43
391 forum posts
128 photos

i joined the BMFA paid my dues and also the £9 CAA tax two three weeks ago, not heard anything at ALL yet from them

Andy Symons - BMFA20/02/2020 19:26:44
611 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by SR 71 on 20/02/2020 19:15:43:

i joined the BMFA paid my dues and also the £9 CAA tax two three weeks ago, not heard anything at ALL yet from them

Did you get a confirmation email? They are sent automatically the moment you pay and has your documents attached, you will also have got a confirmation about CAA registration too. If neither have arrived message me your membership number/email address and I can investigate.

SR 7120/02/2020 23:57:09
391 forum posts
128 photos

I dont know my membership number, as i say i have heard nothing, been checking my emails including the spam every day,

Nigel Heather21/02/2020 07:52:16
239 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by SR 71 on 20/02/2020 23:57:09:

I dont know my membership number, as i say i have heard nothing, been checking my emails including the spam every day,

Did you pay online in the BMFA Portal. If so, as Andy siad, you should have got email confirmations pretty instantly. If you didn’t get these emails then easy to check - just log in to the portal and check the membership status - it should show both the BMFA and CAA as active.

Pretty sure there has been a magazine this year too, did you get that?

Cheers,

Nigel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us