By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Help Needed for Kids Xmas Bike Modification

Can I remove pedals and crank from granddaughters first bike ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
PatMc13/12/2019 21:43:30
4254 forum posts
523 photos

I removed the pedals without any problem but left the cranks. Plan is now to see how she gets on using it as a balance bike in that state. I don't envisage her taking long to be pestering her dad and me to re-fit the pedals.

BTW it was never our intention to use stabilisers - it's analogous to teaching someone to fly a model using a Junior 60 then having to re-teach on an aileron equipped trainer.

John Wagg13/12/2019 21:59:00
21 forum posts
2 photos

Remember to show them how to use the brakes. idea

Chris Walby14/12/2019 06:46:47
1050 forum posts
250 photos

Why take the pedals off? Are you not teaching confusing fundamentals, not resting feet on pedals?

Seat down and the child can paddle with their feet aka balance bike, but then they spend hours and hours perfecting balancing and stopping with their feet.

If you are going straight to a normal bike leave the pedals on and the seat at the correct height. Support the child by holding their back/solder and get them to balance, brake and dismount. Just keep walking/jogging up and down until they can balance, brake/dismount without peddling.

Then just get her to peddle a bit, then a bit more and before you and she knows she will be cycling on her own and able to stop!

PS Gloves an absolute must IMHO, saves picking the gravel out or their hands....

PPS - Stabilisers - the invention of the devil, just more grief later on...

Edited By Chris Walby on 14/12/2019 06:49:24

Alex Ferguson 214/12/2019 07:16:06
32 forum posts
Posted by Phil Green on 13/12/2019 21:11:17:

Hi Pat, I'm with Paul & Alex - at 5 she should be riding properly, no stabilisers

Our bike racing club starts Juniors racing on minimotos at six years old, quite a few are girls..

Thanks Phil. My son, 4 years old(?), first bike, 5 metres there and back and the stabilisers were taken off and he was away riding. The only problem, after playing football all primary school age and riding to school, took to bike racing, road in winter, track in summer. He now coaches. I stuck to touring, long distance at times. His sister, 12 years old, did a loaded tour, 480 km multiday ride over the mountains. She'd done a few years of riding on the back of a tandem before that. Back from the tour and and a few weeks later an annual one day 100 km ride over the steep hills we have here.

Question for PatMc, do you think you will be able to keep up with them as they get older?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us