Forum sponsored by CML

CAA registration take-up?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Harris15/12/2019 01:11:17
9421 forum posts
256 photos
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 15/12/2019 00:41:41:

Last night I was chatting to a friend who is 87 and flies free flight. He has never flown R/C or used a computer. He mentioned that something he had read something in Aeromodeller which would mean he is now grounded. I thought I would check what the required test consists of, but when I had a look at the CAA site, I would have had to enter name address etc.

Can anyone enlighten me what a non-computer using free flighter and BMFA member will have to do to be able to fly models over 250 grams?

Do you mean non-BMFA member?  If he's a member then he can take the RCC test and register as an operator through them.

Can't you just help him take the test on your computer?

Failing this, I would contact:

Drone and Model Aircraft Registration Team
drone.registration@caa.co.uk
Telephone: 0330 022 9930
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm

...and ask them about the offline testing and registration option that they have stated "will" exist.

Edited By Martin Harris on 15/12/2019 01:16:53

Andy Symons - BMFA15/12/2019 07:54:35
618 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 15/12/2019 00:41:41:

Last night I was chatting to a friend who is 87 and flies free flight. He has never flown R/C or used a computer. He mentioned that something he had read something in Aeromodeller which would mean he is now grounded. I thought I would check what the required test consists of, but when I had a look at the CAA site, I would have had to enter name address etc.

Can anyone enlighten me what a non-computer using free flighter and BMFA member will have to do to be able to fly models over 250 grams?

In the BMFA News that he should have received last week its all covered.

Paper version of the test, all the info meeded to answer the questions and fetails on submitting answers by phone or post.

Scott Edwards 215/12/2019 10:30:33
219 forum posts
97 photos

Like most clubs, we have some 'senior' members. You can do the BMFA test and upload the certificate on their behalf. I've done several now. I'm sure I will get criticised, but it solves the problem and I have no guilt about treating this ridiculous legislation with the contempt it deserves.

leccyflyer15/12/2019 10:58:33
1518 forum posts
327 photos
Posted by Scott Edwards 2 on 15/12/2019 10:30:33:

Like most clubs, we have some 'senior' members. You can do the BMFA test and upload the certificate on their behalf. I've done several now. I'm sure I will get criticised, but it solves the problem and I have no guilt about treating this ridiculous legislation with the contempt it deserves.

Hmmm, what was stopping you from merely helping the senior members do the test themselves and then providing their certificate on their behalf, rather than just doing it yourself? In the highly unlikely event of an incident involving any of those members you've just made a public declaration that you've deliberately circumvented the very simple and easy process to enable everyone to remain legal.

Simon Chaddock15/12/2019 11:15:39
5739 forum posts
3034 photos

To someone in charge of the process to "Control the use of UAVs" circumventing the rules would be likely to attract attention. wink 2

Tim Kearsley15/12/2019 11:47:18
687 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Scott Edwards 2 on 15/12/2019 10:30:33:

Two things strike me as being a tad silly about this:

1) Doing it in the first place

2) Publicly stating that you've done it!

I don't think it's in the long run helping anybody.

Tim.

Edited By Tim Kearsley on 15/12/2019 11:47:48

John Tee15/12/2019 12:01:44
879 forum posts
73 photos

I didn't do the test but I talked a member through it over the phone as he had trouble finding the right site, he was on the A test site. He read the questions and answered them himself and passed. He then had trouble finding his pass certificate. He got there in time to renew his membership at our AGM

John

Robin Colbourne15/12/2019 18:12:47
609 forum posts
17 photos

Thank you for all the suggestions.

My friend is a BMFA member, and has been for donkey's years. He also partially sighted. He wouldn't ever be flying alone and generally I launch the models for him when we go out flying, so technically it is me flying them, but I'm sure as they are his models he would like to be 'legal' too.

It sounds as though the easiest option, when I next see him, would be for me to talk him through the online test, asking him the questions and entering the answers he gives.

Chris Channon17/12/2019 07:50:28
553 forum posts

Good morning all, a bit of advice required really. I have paid my BMFA sub, added the extra £9 carried out the competancy test. How long does it take to get a number from the CAA and can i fly now without the number?

Thank you in advance

Chris.C.

Frank Skilbeck17/12/2019 08:44:33
4758 forum posts
104 photos

Chris, have you not received the latest BMFA news, it's all in there, but basically

1) BMFA will do a bulk transfer to CAA of members registration details end of Jan 2020

2) CAA will then e-mail operator IDs out directly

3) BMFA members are exempt from displaying operator IDs until 23rd Feb

Dickw17/12/2019 09:32:06
738 forum posts
99 photos

Chris

Can I just add one more item to Frank's list

4) You need to carry a copy of the CAA "exemptions" with you whenyou go flying.

They were in the recent issue of BMFA news, or you can download them from the BMFA website.

Dick

Chris Channon17/12/2019 10:35:47
553 forum posts

Brilliant, thank you .

Have a great Christmas,

Chris.C.

Kim Taylor17/12/2019 18:29:21
318 forum posts
55 photos
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 17/12/2019 08:44:33:

Chris, have you not received the latest BMFA news, it's all in there, but basically

Sorry to jump in off topic, but has anyone else NOT received their copy of the BMFA News yet, or is it just me?

If just me, I'll have to email the BMFA sad

Thanks

Kim

Kevin Wilson17/12/2019 22:34:43
393 forum posts
13 photos

Hi Kim

Not just you. Perhaps I need to contact BMFA also

Chris Berry19/12/2019 19:10:50
259 forum posts
1 photos

I've had a response to my FOI today. I'm quite surprised they don't keep percentage pass/fail rates or lots of analytical data. I assume that of all those that have registered most are hobbists and professionals and not the christmas toy brigade.

How many people have signed up via the BMFA?

Dear Mr Berry Thank you for your request of 30 November 2019, for the release of information held by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). Your request has been considered in line with the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA).

Your request and our response: Please note the information below is correct as of 16 December 2019.

The information requested below relates to the Drone Registration and Education Service

1. Since the launch date (5th November 2019), how many individuals have registered as:

I. A non flying operator? 5,219 (Operator only & Organisation Operator)

II. A flying operator? 60,470 (Operator & Flyer) III. Have registered a child under 13? 654 (Guardian)

1a. Since the launch date (5th November 2019) how many organisations have registered to use Drones or model aircraft? 3,026

2. Since the launch date (5th November 2019) how many individuals have:

I. Completed the online theory test? 67,945 (Operator & Flyer, Flyer only and Under 13)

II. Have completed a hard copy of the test? We have sent 15 offline flyer packs.

3. Since the launch date (5th November 2019) how many individuals have

I. Passed the online theory test?

II.Failed the online theory test?

III. Of those who passed the online theory test how many individuals had more than one attempt?

IV. Of those who failed the online theory test how many individuals had more than one attempt?

As we do not capture this data we do not hold the information requested. The Drone Registration and Education Service (DRES) allows an individual to register as an operator and complete the theory test at a later date, therefore the number of people registered is not reflective of the number of people who have passed the theory test.

I. Since the launch date (5th November 2019) what percentage of those who passed the online theory test answered all questions correctly?

II. What was the average score of all those who passed the online theory test?

III. What was the average score of all those who failed the online theory test?

We do not hold the information requested.

5. Since the launch date (5th November 2019) how many Operator ID numbers have been issued? 65,689 (Operator & Flyers, Operator only & Organisation Operators)

6. Since the launch date (5th November 2019) how many Flyer ID numbers have been issued? 68,614 (Operator Flyers, Flyer only, Guardian & Under 13)

cymaz29/12/2019 08:43:30
9285 forum posts
1200 photos

I have been wondering what uk model shops have been doing to educate anyone who might go out and buy something that flies this Christmas.

As a bit of a crude test I choose 11 model shops that I could think of and looked on their home page on the web.

I looked across the page and on each one I clicked wherever it mentioned information or similar.

No Information at all about the new scheme...

1. Steve Webb
  2. Als Hobbies
  3. Balsa Cabin
  4. Probuild
  5. Totem Hobbies
  6. St Austell Model Centre
  7. Nitrotek
  8. Wheelspin Models

Information about the new scheme but tucked away

1. RCWorld
  2. Hobbymounts

And the winner is SMC . A big red banner across the home page.

It’s just a quick look but doesn’t it prove there is education needed with retailers as well as the general public. It’s easy to put up “ Merry Christmas to all our customers “ but obviously very hard to put anything else. indecision

cymaz29/12/2019 08:58:36
9285 forum posts
1200 photos

And there’s no reason for club websites not to do it either

Nigel Heather03/01/2020 08:48:06
242 forum posts
7 photos

Reading the discussion a few posts up about the elderly guy that does free-flight, I initially thought that everyone was missing the point because I thought that free-flight, like control line, kites balloons and rockets are exempted.

But I see that I am wrong and that free flight ‘pilots’ (I would be more inclined to call them spectators) must comply with the legislation. The BMFA site describes some useful stuff to observe before launching which all makes perfect sense but as far as I am aware is not covered in the actual legislation but I would have thought that once you have launched you are pretty much in the hands of the gods - how do you comply.

For example when a low flying air ambulance makes an appearance, how do you comply with the rule that states that you must immediately either move out of the way or land?

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 03/01/2020 08:48:46

Don Fry03/01/2020 09:42:08
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Get a grip Nigel, simple, get a shotgun certificate, permission to shoot, and a shotgun, and take it out. The model, not the ambulance.

Wilco Wingco03/01/2020 10:16:57
237 forum posts
3 photos

Does it now mean that when I purchase any modelling supplies, on line or face to face, I have to produce my CAA registration??. And do the suppliers have to report to the CAA any person who tries to purchase any model aircraft supplies without a CAA registration document? If he or she sells me a drone does he have to supply the CAA with my name and address so that the CAA can police their rules and ensure that I then fly in accordance with the new legislation, or will the local police force be in contact to check?.

Too many rules and too many unanswered questions.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!