Forum sponsored by CML

Probable scam?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
leccyflyer29/02/2020 14:28:12
1426 forum posts
317 photos
Posted by Peter Christy on 24/02/2020 11:12:07:

Recently my wife and I have been plagued with 'phone calls, all pre-recorded messages threatening 1) our internet is about to be cut off 2) HMRC have sent the police to arrest us and 3) the usual one about being involved in an accident.

All of these have asked us to "press 1" to speak to an "advisor". No doubt this would connect us to an expensive reverse charge line.

Doing a 1471 shows that identical calls come from different numbers, all around the country, so they are not easy to block (they never use the same number twice).

I've contacted our 'phone supplier, but there isn't much they can do about it other than offer a call blocking service. However, as the numbers are constantly changing, even this doesn't work.

As soon as we hear a recorded message, we just hang up, and it looks as if they have finally got the message - for the moment anyway.

I can well understand the vulnerable getting caught out by this, though!

--

Pete

Yep, have just had that second HMRC one, with a very stern, totally unconvincing computer synthesised voice declaring that HMRC had a warrant out for my arrest and that I should "press 1 to speak to your police officer". I thought it was rather nice that HMRC hasd arranged a personal police officer for me to speak to, but declined the invitation.

David Hall 929/02/2020 15:19:47
240 forum posts
15 photos

Our Talktalk phone service offers a call screening feature where any caller from a number not on our "accept" list is invited to record their name and asked to wait whilst our phone rings with a call from the system, playing the recording and inviting one of a few actions; accept and add to list, accept once only and to ignore.

I guess that other providers offer similar things. Whilst it's possible that we lose some valid calls, none of the usual scammers seem to have the time to waste whilst the call goes through and of course the recordings never get through. It has killed our land-line cold calls dead..... (now they call the mobile number!).

Edited By David Hall 9 on 29/02/2020 15:20:19

Edited By David Hall 9 on 29/02/2020 15:20:50

Peter Miller29/02/2020 18:17:11
10966 forum posts
1272 photos
10 articles

I keep getting calls from "Amazon" telling that my Prime is being renewed at exhorbitant prices.

Also City of London Police.

The one that I get which I dodn't understand is an occasional call about my appliance service contract.

Considering that A) the current washing machine is about 20 years aold and B) the one that we did have an contract for was bought about 30 years ago at least I wonder what that is about.

Gary Manuel02/03/2020 09:51:52
2255 forum posts
1548 photos

THIS might be of interest.

Panarama are showing a programme tonight exposing scammers in Delhi by showing hacked CCTV footage of them in action.

Steve Balaam02/03/2020 10:48:50
117 forum posts

It seems to be a constant daily chore trying to confirm whether I have received a scam or a normal communication.

I have to apologise to all the normal, honest people and companies out there, but I now treat every email and telephone call I receive as a scam call. I refuse to speak with door knockers and send them packing, neither will I give any of the tin rattlers on the street any cash. I am very cautious about any E-bay traders and only trade with them if there is absolutely no alternative. If anybody as a legitimate reason for contacting me they will find alternate ways of communication.

Most of my Hobby transactions are via known reputable traders if I visit a traders website and they can't be contacted by telephone they don't get my money. I have bought and sold Hobby items via the BMFA site for many years and thankfully have only ever had one issue which was sorted very easily, but it does seem more and more scammers are trying their luck on the BMFA site now.

I am not an unreasonable person, but I hate having to mistrust and treat every individual or company I deal with with suspicion.

Sadly it's seems to be a sign of the times, I am in my mid sixties now and worry that the scams are becoming more sophisticated and I'll eventually caught out.

Former Member02/03/2020 14:13:21

[This posting has been removed]

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator02/03/2020 22:18:28
6756 forum posts
197 photos

BT Phones featuring Call Guardian are well worth a look to keep the scammers away. Since we bought ours we've not had one get through.

Highly recommended.....thumbs up

Peter Miller05/03/2020 18:25:15
10966 forum posts
1272 photos
10 articles

I think I have a new one.

A very convincing email from my internet provider telling me that my Direct debit has been cancelled. and giving me links to give my details. Oh yes!! I am sure!!!! Not a snowballs chance.

I went and checked on my bank account and it still has not been cancelled.

PeterF05/03/2020 19:38:01
525 forum posts
724 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 05/03/2020 18:25:15:

A very convincing email from my internet provider telling me that my Direct debit has been cancelled. and giving me links to give my details. Oh yes!! I am sure!!!! Not a snowballs chance.

Funny you should mention this as I have just dealt with, i.e. hit the delete button, exactly the same thing.

buster prop05/03/2020 19:54:58
495 forum posts
13 photos

An excellent Panorama prog. the other evening about a highly organised call centre in India which is the source of the calls we get about our internet connection. You can tell, the phone rings, at first silence then background chatter and after a pause someone comes on the line saying they are the ‘BT (or Microsoft) technical department’. It’s in an office block near Delhi and run by a chap who has a very luxurious lifestyle. I had such a call this morning and let him go on about corrupted files on our router and asking me to log onto their website immediately so I challenged him. He denied it of course and when I said I’d seen their call centre on BBC TV he hung up. Apparently they scam people in the UK, US and Australia, making millions of £’s every month.

Peter Miller05/03/2020 20:55:23
10966 forum posts
1272 photos
10 articles
Posted by PeterF on 05/03/2020 19:38:01:
Posted by Peter Miller on 05/03/2020 18:25:15:

Funny you should mention this as I have just dealt with, i.e. hit the delete button, exactly the same thing.

I forwarded it to my internet provider and then deleted it

Richard Acland05/03/2020 23:17:11
106 forum posts
32 photos

I had a phone call recently from someone who could hardly prononce my name telling me that there was a problem with windows which needed sorting out. I then explained that there was nothing wrong with my windows as the window cleaner had been yesterday and I could see outside quite clearly. There was a long silence and then the line went dead.

Mark Stevens 105/03/2020 23:37:32
146 forum posts
51 photos

Update following the Panorama programme - the call centre owner has been arrested and is in custody

Link

Now if they can catch the rest of them then that would be great

Mark

iflylilplanes06/03/2020 02:54:54
32 forum posts

I must be one of the luckiest people smile d, I've won 65 Toyota 4WD's, $100,000 worth of $500 gift cards for both Woolworths and Aldi, 6 Jags, and, inherited $48 million from both a US and UK relatives with the "same surname".

Funny, I'm still waiting to see any of it sad, never responded to any of the emails, but the dead relatives, I have fun with them, until, I get tired of the back and forth emails, then I ask them one simple question "what is my surname?" and never hear from them again, (I don't use my name in my email address).

If in doubt call the head office of the subject of the email, they will confirm wether the email is a scam or not,

NEVER GIVE YOUR DETAILS OVER THE PHONE OR IN EMAILS

Dave

SIMON CRAGG06/03/2020 06:54:47
563 forum posts
5 photos

Yet another one to be aware of................

I advertised a musical instrument on Gumtree.

Within half an hour, I had an e.mail (via Gumtree), stating that somebody was interested in buying it for their mother.

Alarm bells rung when it went on "I will pay the full price, my courier will collect blah blah blah".

Be careful out there folks, it seems everybody is after our Stella tokens!

FlyinFlynn06/03/2020 09:54:01
148 forum posts
95 photos

Jim Browning spends his time uncovering the scam merchants and making youtube videos of his antics for anyone interested.

cymaz01/04/2020 14:10:05
9197 forum posts
1186 photos

Had this today...Made me laugh, I done think I will replysmiley

Paul Marsh01/04/2020 15:18:22
3970 forum posts
1190 photos

Have a look on Youtube. Many good Scambaiters, as said, Jim Browing, Kitbota, Scammer Revolts, Scammer Payback and IRLRosie are the best.

Also, you learn a lot, as the Scambaiters tell you how the scam is ran and how it unfolds.

Peter Miller01/04/2020 16:09:15
10966 forum posts
1272 photos
10 articles

Yes,and the City of LOndon Police have an arrest warrent out for me too.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!