Forum sponsored by CML

The Whipitteer

Simple tractor autogyro based on the original Whippit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Adams17/01/2020 23:35:54
196 forum posts

Looks really good congratulations Rich,

Has an almost Cierva/Avro C30 autogyro look about it,and would look good in camouflage too.

Will this be a future RCM&E plan maybe?

Kind Regards

Steve laughyes

Richard Harris18/01/2020 11:15:38
2171 forum posts
2023 photos

Thanks for the comments gents.

Steve,

I'm hoping that the rudder will be effect enough at this size, easy enough to increase its area if needed.

Steve,

If all goes well I will submit my plans to Kevin, though I will have to build another to get build shots good enough for print.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 18/01/2020 11:16:05

Richard Harris19/01/2020 17:37:22
2171 forum posts
2023 photos

Had to wait several hours before the fog lifted to undertake some trimming flights of the Whippiteer, when it did lift it was glorious with not a sniff of wind.

First hops saw the model pitch upwards so I added more down trim, in the process I had got too much rearward tilt dialled in and had a strike on the fin. That was stuck back on and it was away again, it was still flying with its tail down but I could compensate with my thumbs for today.

I will add more negative shim to the blades as I only had a thickness of masking tape today, this will help spin up and bring the nose back down.

It flies really well and can easily be kept within the confines of the patch, rudder authority is good.With plenty of power to hand and its light loading high alphas can be done yet can pick up a pace and fly like a fix wing.

Video footage was taken, I will upload this later on. For now a few ground shots under better light as I was on my own.

I'm really, really pleased with this one smiley

img_8932.jpg

img_8933.jpg

img_8937.jpg

img_8971.jpg

Richard Harris19/01/2020 22:42:46
2171 forum posts
2023 photos

Here is a video of the 3rd flight taken today, a few tweaks and it will be there. I will make another video once these changes have been completed. Enjoy

Rich

Chris Dowell20/01/2020 06:19:52
131 forum posts
52 photos

Nice one Rich...I am impressed with its handling...did I mention that I liked it .yes

Happy Landings

Chris...

Ned Watts20/01/2020 14:40:22
3 forum posts

I have been building and flying R/C planes for many years, mostly with success. I have never built or flown an autogyro. I have Whippit plans and a Revolver II short kit with rotor head fittings. Would it be advisable to wait for the Whippitear? I am in no hurry. I do not believe that there is anyone local who can assist me in trimming or figuring how to fly an autogyro.

Richard Harris21/01/2020 10:06:08
2171 forum posts
2023 photos

Chris,

I need to amend the drawings then I will send them over thumbs up, it became apparent that not all 3s 2200mah batteries are exactly the same dimensions, this made some of them a tight squeeze into the battery bay, just a simple case of widening it.

Out of interest, when out at the field I tried 2200mah, 1550mah and a 1300mah packs with no noticeable trim changes which is reassuring.

Ned,

There may well be someone near you, where are you situated?

If you have never built an autogyro or flown an autogyro before I would go with the Whippit, Cruiser or Atom. You will have to blow the Whippit plan up as it was published at a reduced size oddly.

The head and fittings will work fine on all of these designs. of course you can wait for the Whippiteer which I believe flies a bit smoother than its original counterpart, time will tell.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 21/01/2020 10:07:52

Edited By Richard Harris on 21/01/2020 10:11:40

Ned Watts21/01/2020 12:32:42
3 forum posts

Rich,

Thank you for the reply. If you see no particular difference between the Whippet and the Whippeteer, I'd tend to go with the Whippet, as the construction looks easier and more forgiving of abrupt descents to terra firma. By how much is the plan undersize? I guess that I could figure that out by looking at the stated length of the blades.

I live in a suburb of Boston, Massachusetts.

Ned

Richard Harris21/01/2020 15:32:45
2171 forum posts
2023 photos

Ned,

If you have the magazine plan it was printed at 70% full size, a modeller over here over here has built it at this reduced size and it flies well.

The closest active autogyro expert that would help you out lives 20 miles from Newark in New Jersey, quite a distance but he's good.

Rich

Chris Dowell22/01/2020 00:17:09
131 forum posts
52 photos

I like the way you made it sit up and beg...classwink

Chris...

Chris Dowell23/01/2020 02:46:58
131 forum posts
52 photos

Rich

Re servo...do you think it requires slim servos or did you just use them ….cos.. you had them ??

Chris...

Richard Harris23/01/2020 16:11:42
2171 forum posts
2023 photos

Chris,

When I first showed 'the boys' the design over on FB they suggested pushing the servos up a bit. As I was planning to build the 'full body' version this was my easiest option and, to be fair the Corona servos are no dearer than suitably sized metal geared units of roughly the same power. They are easily mounted on hardwood packers off the fuselage doublers.

That said, it would be no hardship to fit standard type servos, maybe on a couple of beams through the fuselage or inset them into the doublers with some form of clamp to secure?

Out of interest THESE are what I have used and I do recommend this supplier as I have used them several times in the past, not sure how they would fair sending to OZ though. Clearly there are better and more expensive types it just depends on folks budgets.

The motor used is THIS one spinning a 11 x 5.5 prop which gives me more than enough power, probably enough to pull a loop if I can pluck up the courage!

Rich

Chris Dowell23/01/2020 23:34:27
131 forum posts
52 photos

Rich.

OK ..all good... I have all the bit's

Chris..

Chris Walby24/01/2020 07:10:48
1275 forum posts
315 photos

Hi Rich, Only just come across this build thread and have always had an interest in autogiros and mosquitos, but that's another story.

What would you recommend for the first time giro jockey (previous balsa and Depron bashing skills present) Whippet or Whipitter? I fly indoor, have A & B certs + IC and just finished a Can Doo for a bit of fun.

I note your servo and motor recommendations for the Whipitter is there the same for the Whippet? Plus are plans available? No problem if they are electronic as I can print/resize if necessary.

Looks a lot of fun...can I join in?

Richard Harris24/01/2020 21:59:57
2171 forum posts
2023 photos

Chris,

Both models are powered by similar power plants, the Whippit was designed around a 1500mah 3s pack but many have flown with 2200mah batteries. Servos are also roughly the same kind of torque with metal gears.

Somewhere I have PDF's of the Whippit to which you are more than welcome to.

This one is slightly larger and feels to me to be more stable at this early stage (I am biased as its new), if I get chance over the weekend I will get a photo of them together as a comparison.

Either way they are huge amounts of fun!

Rich

Richard Harris26/01/2020 21:34:49
2171 forum posts
2023 photos

A couple of snaps of the two models together to see the difference, the older one is the depron version type 2 ( well flown now) but it's dimensions are the same as the original. You can see that the Whippiteer has got a longer moment arm.

20200126_205004.jpg

20200126_205027.jpg

Richard Harris09/02/2020 09:13:07
2171 forum posts
2023 photos

Yesterday morning was the most favorable weather of the weekend so I took the Whippiteer out for its second outing. It started off calm but the wind soon picked up and became quite strong, it seems to handle it ok.

To compare I flew the model with and without the horizontal tail, as expected it needed down trim applied to compensate for its removal but was less effected by the wind.

Here is a video I grabbed of a couple of the flights:

It was noted after inspecting everything at home afterwards that the GWS linkage stoppers are just not up to the job and the push rods had moved within them. Probably the cause of the me running out of forward trim, luckily I had bent an angle in the push rods below the keeper.. I have ordered some JP stoppers which look to be up to the job with hexagan grubs crews rather than phillips head bolts.
I think I will stay indoors today.
Rich
Stephen Jones09/02/2020 12:17:47
2853 forum posts
1618 photos

That is interesting that it flies well without a tailplane.

And would make for a easier build.

Steve thumbs up

Chris Dowell10/02/2020 01:21:59
131 forum posts
52 photos

Looks pretty good in the wind and I like to play in the wind.thinking

Chris...

Richard Harris10/02/2020 16:26:04
2171 forum posts
2023 photos

Steve,

Its a good test to know that you have got thrust lines etc in roughly the right place, however, I do think a tail helps with orientation, especially with my eyes disgust

Chris,

I have sent an email this morning with something attached for you wink 2

Rich

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!