Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

The Norwegian Gnat Squad

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dwain Dibley.23/05/2020 21:51:00
1505 forum posts
1487 photos

What a shame, but it looks like a reasonably easy repair from what I can see. I hope it goes well and you get a successful re-maiden.

All the Best.

D.D.

John Roberts 924/05/2020 09:15:21
197 forum posts
175 photos

Awww Lucas, what a shame. I think we all share your pain!

After a crash my first thoughts are to chuck the remains in the bin but I know to resist that urge because a couple of days later I always find myself figuring out how best to execute a repair.

With your building skills it will soon be back in the air.

By the sounds of it the main learning point from all this is that the Gnat needs more elevator movement than the recommended 6mm? My build is close to completion and, with a relaxation in Scotlands lockdown rules now imminent, my maiden flight isn't far off (hopefully!).

All the best with your repair.

Tim Ballinger24/05/2020 09:19:16
792 forum posts
290 photos

Lucas,

Sorry to hear about the mishap, hopefully you can repair it . I also needed a significant amount of up trim but still had sufficient control authority. I decided I had probably been too conservative with the cg and marked it up to move the battery slightly rearwards for subsequent outings. Not got chance to see if there is any difference because the field has been in lockdown ever since and my ‘ home ‘ flying field is too small for such a missile !

Good luck for the next trip.

Tim

Lucas Hofman24/05/2020 11:56:45
668 forum posts
375 photos

To John: I think it is too early to conclude that more elevator movement is needed. I have increased it by 15% but maybe more important reduced exponential from 30 to 10%. What do other fly with?

Main learning point for me is that a site with a straight in-out flying path is needed so that an aborted landing can be done by just opening the throttle keeping wings level and pull up after sufficient speed has been reached.

Also trim in 1-2 mm up elevator straight away. At launch you may need a bit of up elevator to prevent a dive before flying speed has been reached.

Steve Jones 224/05/2020 12:05:14
581 forum posts
423 photos

Hi Lucas... opps on the flight BUT ...take 3 positives the model flys well, the cause of the crash is being unlucky with the site ...and the model looks straightforward to fix

i have had many models like this and it’s the great thing about wood builds with splinters like that🤣. Some wood glue on those splits and a great wetter area . The repair will be stronger that the original . You will soon be back in the air.
Keep it in close, keep the speed in the turns , smooth and wide and enjoy. My favourite by far. Until the baby Hawk is finished

steve

Lucas Hofman25/05/2020 07:44:12
668 forum posts
375 photos

The repair is well underway. I double the damaged former(with holds the battery sidewise). And put a 2mm balsa plate under the area with the small fragments.

img_6957.jpg

Some extra wood to align and top deck:

img_6958.jpg

and glueing everything back together:

img_6960 (1).jpg

All holes were sparkled with light weight car body filler and sanded afterwards. I noticed front and back fuselage have little contact after one cuts the battery hatch. I reinforced the gluejoint in the lower triagle stringers with 1mm ply plates in the air intakes and a piece of 25gr grass over the bottom of the fuse to the air intakes.

img_6963.jpg

Litt paintwork in the cockpit, glue the canopy back on and ready for covering again.

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 25/05/2020 07:45:14

Steve Jones 225/05/2020 08:33:43
581 forum posts
423 photos

Wow .. fantastic job Lucas... told you the repair would be not too difficult. The beauty of wood models and a great design . It will be great to hear it’s back in the air again

steve

Steve Jones 225/05/2020 08:33:49
581 forum posts
423 photos

Wow .. fantastic job Lucas... told you the repair would be not too difficult. The beauty of wood models and a great design . It will be great to hear it’s back in the air again

steve

Murat Kece 125/05/2020 09:18:01
25 forum posts
23 photos

Impressive repair.. Good luck next time.

Lucas Hofman27/05/2020 15:31:20
668 forum posts
375 photos

Ready to fly again:

img_6968.jpg

John Roberts 927/05/2020 16:45:12
197 forum posts
175 photos

Hi Lucas,

Great repair job.

What happened on 23/5 is now just a bad dream!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!