Forum sponsored by CML

South Yorkshire Model Supplies

Slingsby Firefly

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jonryan11/01/2020 16:17:03
164 forum posts
12 photos

Anyone know anything about the above company? A 60" Slingsby Firefly kit has come my way - looks to be from around the 1980s - and the only clue as to the manufacturer is in the build notes which mention South Yorkshire Model Supplies.

Edited By jonryan on 11/01/2020 16:18:03

Cuban811/01/2020 16:43:13
2959 forum posts
1 photos

I still have one of their building jigs from over thirty years ago, very robust and still in regular use. I also had their Slingsby Firefly that I built from the kit. Nice model but watch the weight especially at the back to avoid too much nose ballast  but use what's needed to put the CG 10 mm forward of the recommended setting for the first flights. Keep elevator movement to a minimum. Lost mine years ago after flicking out of a high loop and into a perfect true flat spin. Caught me out and couldn't recover. Not that much damage because of the quite slow impact speed. Repaired and sold on...... don't be put off though, I reckon it'd have been fine if a pound or so  lighter and with a more forward cg. Good luck.

SYMS went out of business years ago, unfortunately. 

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/01/2020 16:53:01

jonryan11/01/2020 16:55:32
164 forum posts
12 photos

Thanks for the info. It looks to be a nice kit. There used to be so many good model suppliers...sad

I won't be building this - it'll be up on Ebay this evening.

stu knowles11/01/2020 17:38:57
606 forum posts
49 photos

They were produced by Dave Milner who ran a model shop in Bentley near Doncaster. After he moved on from the shop, kit production continued for a while but I believe that he moved into making internal moulded panel doors. That was all many years ago.

Paul Marsh11/01/2020 17:45:01
4028 forum posts
1217 photos

Wonder if he was/is a member of the Doncaster Model Flying Club in Bentley...?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!