2 Free Planes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Jones15/01/2020 00:08:00
2805 forum posts
1614 photos

Hi There,

Just got my Copy of the RCM&E.

The plans look right up my street in this issue .

Yes both of them. Twizzle a sports sloper And a Fighter Kawasaki.

The rest of the Mag is a good reed too with a nice mix of topics to keep you reading.

Steve.

Piers Bowlan15/01/2020 08:17:34
2118 forum posts
53 photos

I wasn't particularly drawn to Mike's sleek Twizzle preferring His larger Taboo (RCM&E Feb 2012). I am sure it will go like a rocket with the right power set up.

I really liked the Fugio's Kawasaki Tony which when enlarged by 30% would yield a wingspan of 52in, with a thick section to accommodate retracts. A nice alternative to the usual warbirds.

RC Plane Flyer15/01/2020 20:24:39
711 forum posts
22 photos

Can anybody name Pylon Type model with a T Tail similar to the twizzle above seen one somewhere but brain fade lets me down

RC Plane Flyer16/01/2020 09:03:21
711 forum posts
22 photos

Whoops Taboo is was I was looking for just need to find an old mag now

Cuban825/01/2020 12:25:46
2909 forum posts
1 photos

Regrettably, I've just phoned MTM and cancelled my subscription to the magazine. I just can't justify the cost any more and although I think that KC will do his very best for the magazine, sadly I believe he's batting on an ever increasingly sticky wicket. I'll buy a copy from Sainsbury's now and again but at £5.75 a shot it'll only be when there's a plan or project that really piques my interest. Another big wheeled foamy test, precision aerobatics (already fully covered in BMFA news), a fuel article, old radios and slope soaring are subjects that don't really encourage me to read them closely.

Not critical of the journalism but it's not for me on a regular basis any more. Coupled with that is the BMFA News that's raising it's game fairly well now after much criticism and is to all intents and purposes FOC. However, glad that others are happy with it and I hope RCM&E continues to be around for the casual purchaser.

Edited By Cuban8 on 25/01/2020 12:42:45

Piers Bowlan26/01/2020 09:52:09
2118 forum posts
53 photos

£5.75 an issue from Sainsbury's or £3.38 an issue if you take out a 12 month subscription - (£44pa) so almost half price! Everyone has a different budget and often other hobbies too apart from Model flying. I cancelled my Practical Boat owner subscription last year. There are several yachting and boating titles but only one RC model flying mag so I choose to support RCM&E. Model flying is a broad church so it is unrealistic to expect every article to appeal. I think the hobby will be very much the poorer without it's flagship magazine.

As far as 'another big wheeled foamy test'. Foamy models are often where newbys start out in model flying, as well as being super fun and good 'bang for your bucks'. The hobby needs newbys and those returning to the fold if it is to continue.

kevin b26/01/2020 11:09:54
1823 forum posts
145 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 25/01/2020 12:25:46:

Regrettably, I've just phoned MTM and cancelled my subscription to the magazine. I just can't justify the cost any more and although I think that KC will do his very best for the magazine, sadly I believe he's batting on an ever increasingly sticky wicket. I'll buy a copy from Sainsbury's now and again but at £5.75 a shot it'll only be when there's a plan or project that really piques my interest. Another big wheeled foamy test, precision aerobatics (already fully covered in BMFA news), a fuel article, old radios and slope soaring are subjects that don't really encourage me to read them closely.

Not critical of the journalism but it's not for me on a regular basis any more. Coupled with that is the BMFA News that's raising it's game fairly well now after much criticism and is to all intents and purposes FOC. However, glad that others are happy with it and I hope RCM&E continues to be around for the casual purchaser.

Edited By Cuban8 on 25/01/2020 12:42:45

I fully understand your point of view, which I feel you have presented in a very balanced way.

However the problem is not with the magazine.

Regarding the cost of the magazine, if you look at the figures going back many years the price is still relative to other items on the "shopping list". The size has increased (unlike beer, loaves of bread and fish & chips), though the advertising content has decreased.

It is consumer expectations (and demand) that have changed and that is down to marketing, irrespective of the commodity.

Remember. It is the advertisers who pay for the production of the magazine. Most (if not all) of the cover price is swallowed up by printing, transport, distribution and retailers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an amalgamation of the boating and flying magazines within the not too distant future. After all, it's what the advertisers want. Why pay twice to reach the same volume market ?

Food for though ?

smiley

kc26/01/2020 12:19:13
6419 forum posts
173 photos

First I should say that when Cuban8 refers to KC I think he means Kevin Crozier editor of RCME and of course that is not the same person as kc on this forum who is just an ordinary aeromodeller! ( I was using kc on this forum when Kevin Crozier was still the editor of the rival late lamented publication RC ModelWorld )

Only a few years ago there were 5 RC magazines covering fixed wing models now just 1......

It might help sell a few more mags at the newsagents if the cover to each issue had a distinctly different cover photo which showed the feature model plan or review. it used to be a feature of RCME years ago - each cover had a distinctive look relevant to the main subject. Now they all have a similar look. Good photos but not different enough from previous issues. Easy to think you have already bought that issue!

Of course back in the day when men were men we had photos of attactive women holding the model on the covers of RCME...........

Edited By kc on 26/01/2020 12:20:18

Ray Wood 426/01/2020 12:51:42
207 forum posts
44 photos

Hi Chaps,

I'm happy with RCM&E as it's been basically the same for the last 40 years following the latest developments & new model designs, what else can it do? And of course it pays for the forum we are on !

The only surviving magazines are using archive material a lot more.

Regards Ray

Cuban831/01/2020 12:14:08
2909 forum posts
1 photos

The magazine is not run as a charity and needs to be profitable and appealing. I took up the subscription a while after RCMW went out of print (my preferred read going way back actually) given the reasonable deal on the sub that was being offered and in the hope that I'd find it worthwhile. Well, yes it has been of interest in parts, particularly Richard Harris's Revolver II which is sitting next to me now, 90% complete and waiting a few final tweaks before my club's auto gyro expert gives it a test hop in the better weather. Nothing else has grabbed my attention from the free plans. Owning small models does not hold any interest at all for me.............small being sub 48" span or so. Like to see them built and flown by others though.

Alex Whittaker is always worth a read as are many of the other contributors. AW's words on the drone fiasco and registration have come a bit late now in my final subscribed issue, as have KC's dig at the trade re same in his editorial. I'm not getting into all that stuff again given the prickliness of some posters when faced with an opinion that counters their own "oh well, just pay up and don't worry" etc etc. Mind you 'just pay up and get on with the hobby' is exactly what the overwhelming number of our clubmates are doing and all the fuss and bother is simply not registering on their day to day activities - long may it stay that way - just keep your fingers and everything else crossed.

Mention was made of the amalgamation of several titles in a single publication. Those who have been around a whole will remember when Radio Control MODELS and Electronics did contain boats and cars articles - phased out into aircraft only just before the 80s perhaps? don't recall exactly. Maybe there's something in that again although I understand that model boats and R/C car racing also have their challenges at the moment.

RC Plane Flyer01/02/2020 18:25:20
711 forum posts
22 photos

My Update Got the old mag with the free Taboo plan but the wing construction is lots and lots of work and not happy with all the curves needed. Just managed to trace the Twizzle plan and mag so see how this one pans out.

Anyone else tempted to build the Twizzle 

Happy Building

Edited By RC Plane Flyer on 01/02/2020 18:26:09

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!