Forum sponsored by CML

London Model Engineering Exhibition Alexandra Palace

this weekend 17th -19th Jan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
kc16/01/2020 11:15:34
6224 forum posts
169 photos

The London Model Engineering Exhibition is on tomorrow -Friday and this weekend. Details are here.

There is a BMFA stand but not much else aeromodelling usually, but interesting if you are also a model engineer or boat modeller. Normally there is indoor flying on the BMFA stand.

The walk up the hill from the station is only for those who are fit! Others take the free bus or use your bus pass on the regular buses. Same for the car park it is steep uphill except for the few spaces near the hall.

Don't forget the big snooker event is on at the same time - don't join the wrong queue - the one you want is the one with mostly grey haired people with backpacks!

kc16/01/2020 17:34:02
6224 forum posts
169 photos

Is anybody going?

Former Member17/01/2020 00:48:47
3578 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

kc17/01/2020 11:32:57
6224 forum posts
169 photos

Tom is right - and the bus goes from Alexandra Park station too.

It does not seem many forum members will be going. If the show had a balsa suppliers stand and someone selling plane kits motors engines and radios etc then perhaps many aeromodellers would turn up. Lacking those suppliers in the winter plane building season is not good!

In the good old days of The Model Engineer exhibition ( different organisers) at Alexandra, Wembly, Olympia etc during the post Christmas school holidays it was common to see fathers taking sons and introducing the next generation to creative hobbies. Plenty of stalls selling balsa and everything we needed and inspiration in the form of plenty of model aircraft of all types. Not now.......

Capt Kremen17/01/2020 17:28:53
328 forum posts
107 photos

Just back from Ali Pally.

Mmm ... 'A' for effort to all the modellers and their various works of art/modelling but the show pales in comparison with German model shows. Size, organisation, variety, stands.

Still Andy Symonds was doing sterling work on the BMFA stand accompanied by Martin Dilly. Also the R/C simulator was doing good trade albeit with grey and shiny headed folk, no youngsters alas.

As stated, very little for aeromodellers there. LMA displayed a few of their members large models and the BMFA stand was adorned with various models from all disciplines i.e. Free flight and R/C.

Average age of attendees, conservatively 60+.

A couple of pics:

bmfa me 2020.jpgbmfa+tiger moth.jpg

Paul Marsh17/01/2020 18:07:32
3816 forum posts
1102 photos

I used to go to the Sandown version (not the model show), the engineering one, and its was solely aimed at engineering not rc models, though one or two traders used to do it.

kc17/01/2020 18:42:41
6224 forum posts
169 photos

Of course the public would be mainly retired people with grey hair on a weekday out of school holidays, hopefully some younger people will go at the weekend.

The engineering show at Sandown was THE Model Engineer exhibition run by the publishers who were also RCME publishers. There were awards for model aircraft too and also trophies I think. One could meet and talk to the RCME etc editors - Bill Burkinshaw, David Boddington etc . Such a shame this petered out.

The current Alexandra Palace show is the London Model ENGINEERING exhibition and was previously at Picketts Lock and always in mid January. Never had competitions or model aircraft except on club stands. But somehow the BMFA got a stand there but I wonder whether it is worthwhile......

Tim Meakin 118/01/2020 11:33:14
4 forum posts

I went on Friday, for the first time ever, as I have worked abroad most of my life. I have retired recently.

The show was fine and I am glad I went, but left feeling uninspired. It was pretty empty.

I build and fly planes and helicopters (electric and IC). I have a Mill and Lathe and am toying with the idea of making an RC engine. So this show looked like right up my alley. I saw only two small Radial engines.

There wasn't much on the planes or machinery fronts.

There is a thread on our sister Forum by Paul Kemp that sums it all up very well.

**LINK**

Ray Wood 418/01/2020 21:17:55
144 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Tim,

You may find the Midlands Model Engineering in October rather more engineering orientated, the Alley Pally has always been a wide variety of interests, as the kids aren't taught basic metalwork I doubt if the show will have any engineering content in 20 years 😀I

I do fly RC, build steam engines & model boats , model making is a broad church thank goodness.

Regards Ray

Tim Meakin 119/01/2020 08:38:30
4 forum posts

Thanks for that Ray.

I will go to the Midlands show in October !!

Yes, I really enjoy the hobby with all its different interests. Something for everyone.

Cheers

Tim

Cuban819/01/2020 09:27:41
2837 forum posts
1 photos

I spent my early childhood living near Ally Pally so know the area and palace grounds very well. I went to the show last year, 120 mile round trip now, and I'd not consider going again for a while because of the horrible journey resulting in a slow and tortuous  three hour trip home that sort of took the fun out of the day.  It's a lovely venue, but with how North London has turned into almost total gridlock during most of the day, you couldn't find a worse place for a major exhibition site. Luckily, I'm a fit 62 years old and the hill doesn't give me any problems whatsoever, but that's not the case for others. The shuttle bus that is supposed to be running, I've never seen. Many don't seem to mind though, but it's not for me especially since the ridiculous decision to not have foamie flying behind a net - considered too hazardous for some reason - worried about damage to the fabric of the building, apparently. I like the NEC and went to the motorcycle show there a few months back. It can get busy on the surrounding roads but the venue is huge and parking so much easier, I'd much prefer a model show there and on coming out of the bike exhibition I noticed a large model railway exhibition being held.

Edited By Cuban8 on 19/01/2020 09:34:53

kc19/01/2020 19:48:31
6224 forum posts
169 photos

It's a great pity the organisers don't give a free stand to someone like SLEC or Balsa Cabin to sell balsa which would attract aeromodellers to come and get their supplies in the winter. Might improve the numbers of people attending!

Ray Wood 419/01/2020 21:16:42
144 forum posts
26 photos

That's a great idea, it gets my vote, but wood they cover the travelling costs from Norfolk?

I haven't been for a couple of years and have saved the money 😀

Regards Ray

Cuban820/01/2020 01:19:33
2837 forum posts
1 photos

Can't see how that would work as I'd expect those who sell model engineering widgets etc and probably pay handsomely for the privilege, would not be best pleased. Sad to say it but many of these sorts of exhibitions are living on borrowed time because of the lack of new blood, young or otherwise and despite the BMFA 's best efforts to talk things up on their Facebook pages. 

I mentioned motorcycling and my renewed interest after quite a lay off, the three shows I've been to at NEC, EXCEL, and National Motorcycle Museum within the last year have been jam packed with visitors and the enthusiasm and vibrancy is really brilliant. A huge industry compared with aero modelling, but boy, if only we could distil a fraction of whatever it is that attracts enthusiasts of all ages from young teens and old geezers to bikes, to modelling, it'd solve a lot of problems. I'm afraid that modelling exhibitions and most flying shows don't do much for me now, but I do remain an enthusiastic modeller/flyer and will continue to amuse myself within the hobby for as long as I'm able. I don't think that I'm unique with that view when talking to flying mates.

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/01/2020 01:25:52

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CADMA
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us