Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Cotsford15/05/2020 11:31:38
8592 forum posts
483 photos

I'd go so far as to say that if you have a pre-Access radio running XnR receivers or RX8Rs you are unlikely to see a problem under 2.1.0, though of course it would be only sensible to test thoroughly at ground level before committing aviation. G-RX8Rs seem to be a different pot of poisson.

Allan Bennett15/05/2020 12:39:34
1688 forum posts
49 photos

Hmm, I think I've missed the bit about problems with 2.1 and SnR receivers. Unfortunately I've got some of these in my favourite models.

Tim Ballinger22/05/2020 12:49:36
792 forum posts
290 photos

Just thought I would post my results of upgrading to the latest FrSKY OS ( TX & Rxs) on my HORUS X10.

The Tx upgrade is now at 1.3.07 and the Rx firmware at V2.01.

I use the Horus OS not OpenTX.

I upgraded 8 Rx's 4 RX8Rpro, 2 RX6R, 1 RX4R and a GRX8R and of course the Tx.

Upgrade process was as per manual and no problems.

I had held off until now as the G series Rx's were the last to be updated/released following Beta testing in March/April . (S series are not there yet but I have none)

My flying site is still in lockdown but I can fly anything without an undercarriage from fields next to my house. Hence flight tests completed with a glider using both the GRX8R and the GRX6R. I will flight test the RX8Rpro in the glider as well but as soon as the wether is good enough.

Yesterdays weather was brilliant for thermaling so I had 2 flights of around 20 mins each up to heights go 650 feet on which to collect data.

All went well with no problems or discernable difference to pre upgrade flights.

Detail telemetry pictures and comment to come in the next post.

Tim

Tim Ballinger22/05/2020 13:57:50
792 forum posts
290 photos

The picture below shows the before and after telemetry plots for the GRX8R.

grx8r-post-pre.jpg

I am very happy with this as there are no dropouts over the course of the 20 min flight and the RSSI levels are virtually identical both for the preflight range check and the flight itself. The lowest recorded in flight was @50dB at 650 feet. The vert speed I have omitted for clarity but suitably bounded and combined with an audible beep I find makes thermaling much easier.

The next plot is for the RX6R. I belatedly realised I had not kept a pre update telemetry plot for the RX6R but the RX4R must be virtually identical ( firmware is the same) so I used that .

rx6_rx4-post-pre.jpg

Given that the flight profile for the RX4R was much different ( Gnat as opposed to a glider !) I am again very happy with the correlation.

I guess I had never looked closely enough at the absolute levels of RSSI value between different Rxr's but they do seem to vary. I have heard that the RX6R has a greater range than the RX8R so perhaps there is some design consistency ( especially I guess since we probably all use the same warning level from one Rx to another ). I'll leave that one for those that know to elaborate on if necessary.

I will test fly the RX8Rpro as soon as the wind drops but all in all I am very happy to go fly with the upgraded firmware.

Apologies for the perhaps excessive detail but I thought it might just inspire confidence in those yet to undertake this upgrade.

Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 22/05/2020 13:59:42

Devon Slopes22/05/2020 18:09:23
61 forum posts
42 photos

Nope, the detail was not excessive, Tim. But could I ask one further question? Was this ACCST or ACCESS?

thanks, Devon.

Tim Ballinger22/05/2020 18:41:38
792 forum posts
290 photos

Devon,

This was ACCST D16.

Tim

I_AM_MARKEVANS23/05/2020 13:19:32
126 forum posts

Hi Tim,

I'm guessing you saw non of the issues on ACCST V2.1 for the G-RX8 that the guys on RCG are seeing?

Tim Ballinger23/05/2020 15:46:59
792 forum posts
290 photos

Mark,

last checking I did was on the beta testing on GitHub, that was probably a month ago now and about the same time as FrSky published their March (the something) issue of that Firmware. The last impression I got from RCG was that if you delve deep enough you can always find someThing that could be better.

Do you think I missed something significant ?

Tim

I_AM_MARKEVANS23/05/2020 16:08:54
126 forum posts

There's a lot of posts but it seems the G-RX8 in particular is still suffering from failsafes on ACCST 2.1 during bench testing. Although I think a lot of the guys on RCG are now trying to test the other rx's in the range so there's a lot of posts to wade through.

I find it difficult to keep up with what's going on but it seems at present, testing is still ongoing. the last update to the beta firmware for the G-RX8 was 3 days ago.

Tim Ballinger23/05/2020 16:28:13
792 forum posts
290 photos

Well I flew with it for 20 mins and as you can see from the plot, no drop outs, no failsafe.

Since it’s wet and windy I’ll have another read and see if I can fathom what they are talking about. As I say when I checked the beta testers on Github they seemed happy and then the firmware was issued ( not a beta).

Tim

Tim Ballinger23/05/2020 18:54:03
792 forum posts
290 photos

Mark,

I have just checked Github where the beta testing is discussed. I see no current issues over failsafe.

There is an ongoing discussion over the accuracy/noise levels on the vario's vert speed output. Some users want the same quality as can be achieved with a dedicated vario  sensor , some are quite happy that the altitude output is accurate to +/- 5 m , others are not. Frsky altered the vert speed output filter between v 2.01 and ver 2.1 which gave better response at the expense of more noise . It may revert to the lower noise/greater lag filter in a future release.

From anything I have ever experienced or logged the vert speed has always been noisy . If used raw with audio it has always been unusable. Thats why i gate the value I use to create the logic sw that for me triggers the audio alert ( = vario beep). Long way from ideal as a vario but it works. In my opinion none of this has anything to do with the Rf upgrade which was the raison d'être for V2.01 and subsequently V2.1.

This is of course is only my view and only strictly relevant to ACCST D16 and Horus X10 as I tend to read past the other variants.

tried checking on RCG chat but sort of lost the will to live .

Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 23/05/2020 18:55:08

I_AM_MARKEVANS23/05/2020 19:22:02
126 forum posts

They did introduce new beta fw to correct the vario issue but it looks like on GitHub Frsky have yet to comment on the failsafe issue the users on RCG are experiencing.

Users like Landru are experiencing multiple failsafes while bench testing the G-RX8 on ACCST 2.1.

But like you said, there is now a lot of posts to read through, but it looks like the testing is still ongoing so you can read back a few pages from the end and not have to read from the beginning.

Although if you haven’t experienced anything yourself then it may be hit or miss.

Devon Slopes23/05/2020 19:33:46
61 forum posts
42 photos
Posted by Tim Ballinger on 23/05/2020 18:54:03:

Thats why i gate the value I use to create the logic sw that for me triggers the audio alert ( = vario beep). Long way from ideal as a vario but it works.

Oh, that sounds clever. I've tried turning the sensitivity down by making the beeps only happen at larger vertical speeds, but am frustrated by the noise. So please tell, Tim, how do you do it?

Tim Ballinger24/05/2020 10:56:36
792 forum posts
290 photos

Mark,

I isolated the user testing in RCG you highlighted. I note the following:-

Not surprisingly all testing in FCC not LBT as we use in Europe. This could be very significant depending on RF environment. It certainly represents a significantly different test scenario.

All testing done with the latest Taranis QX7 which is delivered as access protocol and was used in ACCST mode . Again a significantly different test scenario. 

The user may have tested other Rxrs but not in the thread I viewed. They were all G-RX8. So not clear whether he has highlighting a Rx/Tx or RF issue.

I have had none of the telemetry loss or failsafe warnings this user has experienced with any of my Rxrs but my testing was with the HORUS X10 using EU/LBT ACCST D16 V 2.1 . The telemetry plots I showed bear witness to this as drop outs would be easily seen even if missed real time during the 20 min flight .

I am not qualified to comment on the real significances of the different test hardware perhaps others that are will do so.

I am still happy to go fly with the V2.1.

Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 24/05/2020 10:57:31

Tim Ballinger24/05/2020 11:13:33
792 forum posts
290 photos

Devon,

My solution to the noisy vario is not much different to yours. I do not use OpenTx so any filtering is done within the confines of the Horus OS.

This is what I do.

1. Set a logic SW for Vert Speed outputs > 2.0 ft/s. Set the duration of this LSW to 1.0s . ( If my interpretation is correct this means the test must be true for all samples in a 1 second window for the LSW to be set true. The manual does not make the description terribly clear !)

2. set a special function to play the vario if the LSW is true and the Flight mode is thermal.

3. I use a flight mode switch to turn on a 'thermaling' mode, principally to give me an automatic trim change. However when coupled with the LSW above I only have to listen to beeps when I need them.

As I say, a long way from perfect and there is obviously a lag between the beep and the model entering the lift so you just learn to compensate. Clearly if your Mk1 eyeball is A1 then you will see the model react anyway !

Tim

Tim Ballinger26/05/2020 18:59:43
792 forum posts
290 photos

I said I would fly the RX8R pro and provide the comparison plot before and after the upgrade to V2.01. Here it is.

rx8rpro.jpgAs with the other Rxr's the before and after RSSI is pretty much the same . The post update flight is again a 20 min soaring flight while the pre update comparison is only a 10 min flight in a sports power model. (never had the RX8Rpro in a glider before today !) Altitude range is however pretty similar ( this time measured with a GPS Rx).

Again there are no RSSI drop outs or failsafes noted for the entire flight.

That wraps it up for me . I am happy with the upgrade.

Tim

Ron Gray26/05/2020 19:48:00
2183 forum posts
942 photos

Nice work Tim, thank you.

I_AM_MARKEVANS27/05/2020 06:32:47
126 forum posts

Nice one Tim, great tests!

To put my mind at rest, my own personal opinion is that the new hardware, like the ACCESS radios could be the culprit when trying to use them for ACCST D16 with V2.1

If you have ACCST native radio, before they brought out the ACCESS and Express flavours then like your own tests, I’m starting to see a lot of good working equipment on the updated V2.1 firmware.

Thanks again!

Tim Ballinger27/05/2020 09:00:42
792 forum posts
290 photos

Mark,

All I can say is that if I had an Access Radio I would want to proceed through my own logical test sequence before flying.
Tim

Allan Bennett27/05/2020 10:59:23
1688 forum posts
49 photos
Posted by Tim Ballinger on 27/05/2020 09:00:42:

Mark,

All I can say is that if I had an Access Radio I would want to proceed through my own logical test sequence before flying.
Tim

Does your caution relate only to the RX8R receiver, that seems to be getting much adverse comment, or to all receivers? I've just got a new ACCESS transmitter which I've updated to v2.1 firmware and I'm transferring some of my ACCST receivers (mainly X8R, X4R) to. Apart from doing normal range-check and function checks, should I be concerned?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!