Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Gardiner09/03/2020 16:43:29
534 forum posts
912 photos

Mark, It should be pinging into your inbox as I type

Steve Nash 109/03/2020 16:58:35
51 forum posts
11 photos

Mark, those decals look really good. I've not had much success printing on vinyl, the colours always seem dull when I print them. What vinyl did you use? My roundels I made by cutting red, white and blue discs on CriCut cutter and putting them together. The lettering was also cut on the cutter using the RAF font.

Geoff Gardiner09/03/2020 17:08:48
534 forum posts
912 photos

Hi Steve.

It was me whom produced the decals.

I printed them on some A4 sheets of vinyl that I got from eBay here.

Printed at photo quality, I was pleasantly surprised with the print quality.

I also purchased some transparent vinyl but I haven't tried that yet.

Geoff...

Martin McIntosh09/03/2020 17:38:15
3330 forum posts
1178 photos

I could do with some of those too Geoff, but how do I tell my Silhouette to cut from them? At the moment I have to cut each individual colour from vinyl then stick one on top of the other which is a tad tedious. Being a thicky I would need step by step instructions please.

PM me for my email.

Steve Nash 109/03/2020 18:43:38
51 forum posts
11 photos

Sorry Geoff, I put down the wrong name!! I might try getting some of that vinyl to try. My cutter does do a print then cut setting too.
Steve.

Dickw09/03/2020 20:27:46
671 forum posts
93 photos
Posted by Geoff Gardiner on 09/03/2020 17:08:48:

Hi Steve.

It was me whom produced the decals.

I printed them on some A4 sheets of vinyl that I got from eBay here.

Printed at photo quality, I was pleasantly surprised with the print quality.

I also purchased some transparent vinyl but I haven't tried that yet.

Geoff...

I also used the same vinyl and printed on my inkjet at high quality and was very pleased with the result.

I used white vinyl where the roundels needed to be white over the red wing, but the black numbers I printed on clear vinyl and stuck them as a block over whatever the base was - works OK.

One thing I did was to spray the printed sheets with a clear lacquer before cutting out the shape, just to give some protection to the ink in case of bad weather!

Dick

topside.jpg

Geoff Gardiner09/03/2020 20:56:24
534 forum posts
912 photos

Hi Martin,

If you're using Silhouette Studio, I can send you a file set up for that.

You just send it to your printer first, it will print with registration marks.

You then send it to your cutter and it first scans the registration marks and then starts cutting.

The fin flashes I cut out manually.

I'll PM you.

Geoff...

Geoff Gardiner10/03/2020 11:42:52
534 forum posts
912 photos

This is how I produced the cutting file in Silhouette Studio:

1. Set the page size to A4 and the cutting mat - in my case I use a portrait cutter

1.jpg

2. Import the decal file into your library.

2.jpg

3. Select it and it will open up.

3.jpg

4.jpg

4. Click on it and resize to the correct scale.

5.jpg

5. In the page setup box, click on registration marks and configure as shown in the picture below.

6.jpg

6. Now select trace from the right hand menu. Click 'select trace area' and draw a box around the first roundel. Click on 'solid fill' and 'trace outer edge'.

7.jpg

7. You can adjust the threshold if needed and you should have a cutting line around the first roundel. I have deleted the decal layer in the picture below so that you can see the cutting line underneath.

8.jpg

8. Repeat with all the other graphics on the page and you should have something like this. Note it is easier to cut the fin flashes and union jack by hand.

9.jpg

9. Send the page to your printer using the best possible print quality and print onto the vinyl.

10. Stick the page onto your cutting mat and load the page into your cutter. On the portrait cutter, it has two load paper buttons - one for normal prints and one if your are using registration marks. Make sure you use the correct one.

It should then feed the page in, scan the registration marks and start cutting (works best with the lid closed).

If it can't automatically find the registration marks, you can do it manually. There are four arrows in the print window that allow you to move the cutting knife. You just move it until it is over the black square registration mark and then click send.

10.jpg

That's it.

Hope that makes sense.

Geoff Gardiner12/03/2020 11:59:45
534 forum posts
912 photos

I've designed and 3d printed some tip tanks. They are friction fit and weigh 30g for the pair.

I think I will leave them off for the first few flights and I need to see what effect they have on the CofG.

img_0760.jpg

Martin McIntosh08/04/2020 15:30:30
3330 forum posts
1178 photos

Now that mine is complete I hope that you do not mind me putting it on here.

It is covered in tissue then painted. I did a test piece to ensure that the water based Ferrari red was compatible with the Humbrol matt white enamel base coat and it dried just fine. Not so after a couple of coats had been sprayed on because to start with it attacked the masking tape and bled through everywhere. Quite a job to patch up later, but fine after spraying with Tufkote substitute.

Despite tissue and dope generally coming out at no heavier than Oracover I cringed when I put it on the scales. Even a 3300 Lipo would not bring the cg forward enough but an additional 1 1/2oz of the dreaded did so.

Loads of power though and not far short of lighter than air using a pack on storage charge only.

Pics.

provost 001.jpg

provost 002.jpg

provost 003.jpg

Denis Watkins08/04/2020 15:49:03
4334 forum posts
104 photos

That looks absolutely mint Martin. Very tidy.

Martin McIntosh08/04/2020 16:38:43
3330 forum posts
1178 photos

Thanks, but don`t look too closely. Seem to be losing my touch in old age.

Geoff Gardiner08/04/2020 16:43:37
534 forum posts
912 photos

No problem with posting here - looks great Martin.

Dare I ask, what is the all up weight with battery?

Martin McIntosh08/04/2020 17:26:06
3330 forum posts
1178 photos

Trying to avoid divulging this, but with a 3300 plus the nose lead it is, say it quietly, 29oz.

I very carefully selected the balsa and am actually a bit worried that the wing may be a bit too soft and light.

The weight does not really surprise me because compared with others in the range it is rather chunky.

My Gnat is spot on weight wise.

Lucas Hofman08/04/2020 21:15:33
666 forum posts
375 photos

When there is enough power is should fly. Might be a fast landing though.

Good luck with the maiden, when you are allowed too.

Here in Norway restrictions have been eased so we can fly again on our patch, with some distance between us.

Lucas

BSR10/04/2020 09:13:44
12 forum posts

'printed off a set of decals'. Those look superb, could you quickly run through how you did that? I have the same Silhouette cutter, how did you combine the two processes or was the cutter just used in the lift and place proceedure you showed? I tend to use the Silhouette for larger sized projects as the vinyl is a bit thick, can you recomend a thinner if thats what you used? Thanks, sorry for the interrogation.

BSR11/04/2020 19:43:33
12 forum posts

Remind me next time to let the whole page load before diving in with questions... the answers were all there! Apologies. I blame this virus.....

Geoff Gardiner11/04/2020 19:48:59
534 forum posts
912 photos

No problem - I was wondering how to answer cheeky

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!