Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

SWEET & SMART Acronyms meaning??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Jenkins22/01/2020 18:04:58
1644 forum posts
305 photos

Chris Morris 2 - if you joined the BMFA directly, did they give you a membership number and the log in to the Membership website? It is not the BMFA website but the company that runs the memberships for a great many sport and hobby clubs. If you haven't got that information either email the BMFA (admin@bmfa.org) or give them a call and they will provide you with the details.

Once you have logged in, you should be on your Profile page and on the right above your name you should see 2 yellow boxes - one says Update Details and the other Print Membership Document. A point the BMFA made recently is that the CAA will check your name details provided by the BMFA to register you so you need to make sure your name on your BMFA membership is the same as that on your driving licence and Passport. Once you have updated your name, if required, then print your Membership Document. That will have your "official" name on it now.

If you received the last BMFA News you will have had a number of printed CAA Exemption documents included with the magazine. You will need to carry your BMFA Membership details and all of the relevant CAA Exemptions (not the control line one and not the FPV one) with you when ever you want to fly plus a Registration Competency Certificate

To do the Competency Test go to the BMFA website and click on the picture of the Spitfire. That will take you to the BMFA's webpage covering all the CAA requirements. All you need to know to pass the BMFA Competency Test is there. You can then click on the Competency Test tab and at the bottom of the page is the way in to doing the test. Say No to the second point about flying with a camera as you won't be doing that yet! You will need your BMFA Number and your "official" name. Then set off to do the test. You are allowed to keep the source information open when doing the test. You can have as many goes at passing the test by the way! Once you have passed the Test, the BMFA will record that and you will be able to print off a Registration Competency Certificate.

If you didn't get the BMFA News or cannot now find the printed CAA Exemptions, then you can go to the Exemptions Tab and print off the required CAA documents from there. You will need the 1st, 3rd and 4th documents in the list. You should now have a pack consisting of: BMFA Membership, Registration Competency Certificate, 3 CAA exemption documents. Put them together in a waterproof folder and take them with you when ever you want to fly.

You are now legal as far as the CAA is concerned. Gasp!

Martin Harris22/01/2020 18:39:49
9505 forum posts
256 photos
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 22/01/2020 18:04:58:

You should now have a pack consisting of: BMFA Membership, Registration Competency Certificate, 3 CAA exemption documents. Put them together in a waterproof folder and take them with you when ever you want to fly.

You are now legal as far as the CAA is concerned. Gasp!

...or download them to your smartphone.

Peter Jenkins22/01/2020 18:53:32
1644 forum posts
305 photos

True - but it's a lot easier to give someone some paperwork to look at rather than a small screen, especially on a sunny day!  Plus, the battery never goes flat with paperwork!

Edited By Peter Jenkins on 22/01/2020 18:54:00

Martin Harris22/01/2020 19:19:39
9505 forum posts
256 photos

Raises an interesting legal conundrum I suppose...

The information is stored on the device in non volatile memory so you have it with you, whatever the state of the battery. Does the fact that you can't readily display it to an officer of the law mean that it isn't in your possession? The wording of the exemption simply states that a copy must be carried by the operator/pilot while making use of it.

Red herrings really - I'd just invite the copper into the clubhouse for a cuppa and plug in my charge lead...in the absence of such luxury you could use your car for a similar purpose.

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/01/2020 19:20:21

Andy4822/01/2020 20:09:34
1550 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Christopher Morris 2 on 21/01/2020 10:34:22:

Be S.M.A.R.T. with your transmitter.

S .... Switch on

M .... Model selected is correct / Meter in the Green

A .... Aerial secure / extended

R .... Rate switches all in correct positions

T ..... Transmitter voltage good and Trims all in correct positions

Bit of a laugh these days really.

S Switch on. Yeah nothing happens until you do.

M Model selected is correct - Automatic these days with binding. Meter in the green. - No meter, voltage reading instead.

A Areal secure / extended. Internal aerial thus nothing to do.

R Rate switches all in correct position. Get audible warning if any of the switches/sliders are not. Correct positions set when programming model. These days we need to consider more than just rate switches too. What about an arming switch for electric for instance?

T Transmitter voltage good. Erm yes checked that under "M". Trims all in correct position. Obviously, with digital trims the positions are stored with the model memory.

Verdict, not very smart at all. Needs a bit of updating to come into the 21st century, I've no intention of going back to use old style 35Mhz transmitters.

Peter Jenkins23/01/2020 08:57:27
1644 forum posts
305 photos

Andy, why don't you suggest and alternative acronym to fit in with the 21st century and send it to the BMFA for adoption?

kc23/01/2020 10:17:48
6648 forum posts
173 photos

Andy said " Model selected is correct - Automatic these days with binding" ---that's not correct with all TX ! With Spektrum perhaps but not Futaba etc. There is no Model Match with my Futaba 2.4 so it's possible to use the wrong memory.

Edited By kc on 23/01/2020 10:18:13

Nigel R23/01/2020 10:31:38
4083 forum posts
694 photos

Switch on, yep, still relevant.

Model selected, I have to pick the right model before going any further on my TX(s). Meter, my meter is digital, so what, I check it.

Aerials, one of mine has an external aerial, could be damaged etc etc. No aerial? Lucky you.

Rates, I use rate switches for several models. Flight modes, use them? Pretty much an equivalent. Arming switch? another modern equivalent. They're all switches. Want to add those to the list, fine. "rates and switches" works for me. How detailed do you want?

Trims, funnily enough, a visual check to make sure no trims are applied. If I had to dial in a load of trim last flight, and I forgot, because I was busy flying, then something might be amiss with the model. As I always try to adjust linkages back to zero trim then the trims should always be zero (at most a couple of ticks one way or other, see e.g. snakes and temperature).

Edited By Nigel R on 23/01/2020 10:32:41

Edited By Nigel R on 23/01/2020 10:34:08

Christopher Morris 223/01/2020 11:36:15
205 forum posts

Hi Peter, no problems with the BMFA joining, this was all fine & very quick/simple. It was the lack of communication with the club i joined. I think they are a little behind the times. They don't have a website of their own & use a subdomain on the BMFA website. Originally, they sent me a form & said fill it out & send back with a postal order or cheque. Now i have been with my bank for about 10 years & have never had or needed a cheque book, & the bank before that, also about 10 years & wrote one check to purchase my house as they wouldn't let me do a bank transfer for the house amount. So i phoned my bank & asked for a cheque book & the young lady said that she had been working at the bank for three years & it was surprised as it was the first time she had been asked for a cheque book.
But since this thread was started, one of the members at the club sent me the clubs rules via PDF.
It might be the club has a older generation of members & used to doing things the old way. Me saying this at 63 lol.

Andy4823/01/2020 16:41:46
1550 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by kc on 23/01/2020 10:17:48:

Andy said " Model selected is correct - Automatic these days with binding" ---that's not correct with all TX ! With Spektrum perhaps but not Futaba etc. There is no Model Match with my Futaba 2.4 so it's possible to use the wrong memory.

Edited By kc on 23/01/2020 10:18:13

Oh gosh! Futaba are behind the times! Spektrum has it, FrSky has it, why not Futaba?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!