Forum sponsored by CML

20 years out of date !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Bromley21/01/2020 11:33:01
73 forum posts
3 photos

Hi All,

I have bought myself a helicopter after being away from them for 20years, so somewhat out of date. The advice I am looking for is, I have a 550sx helicopter and wonder what spec cyclic servos to use ? I am long in the tooth, so now will be gentle sport flying none of this which way is it up stuff LOL !. I don't want to break the bank as I have lots of other stuff on the go, any recommendations appreciated ? !

Paul.

Jon - Laser Engines21/01/2020 11:42:15
5621 forum posts
271 photos

Is that a logo 550? If so midland list a Savox 1257/1290 Servo Set for their combo deal but they arent cheap! I suspect they would also be overkill if you just want to fly about a bit and not wring its neck.

Paul Bromley21/01/2020 11:44:15
73 forum posts
3 photos

I have a 1290 for the tail, and yes stooge around is my bag LOL !

Thanks for the reply.

Paul.

Jon - Laser Engines21/01/2020 12:59:48
5621 forum posts
271 photos

Im not brilliant at flying heli's. I can loop and roll but its not really my thing and i find my t-rex 500 a very nervous machine to fly as it, like your machine, is intended for a great deal more than i do with it.

You might want to talk to a shop like midland or someone who knows heli's well and can recommend setup changes to make it more friendly. I suspect you can drop the head speed a little, use softer dampers and do other magical helicopter related things to calm the whole thing down.

Mark Stevens 128/01/2020 01:56:04
146 forum posts
51 photos

Made to loop and roll lol

60500586_10155878182640738_4629358915497230336_o.jpg

Mark

Peter Christy28/01/2020 09:47:37
1874 forum posts

If you aren't going in for aerobatics, and the model isn't particularly heavy or fast, then any standard size, decent quality servo should do. Some of my older mid-size scale machines are still flying quite happily on JR 591s!

You don't need digitals for the kind of flying you suggest. I would recommend ball-raced outputs, though. The Hitec HS-5485HB is particularly good value for money. It is digital, has a karbonite gear train, and the servo shop is offering four for £67 inc vat! I'm currently using Hitecs in both a NOS Schluter HeliBoy and a re-furbished Schluter HueyCobra to good effect.

Futabas are also good, but tend to be quite a bit more expensive! You pays your money, etc...!

Cheers,

--

Pete

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!