Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Flat plane wing question

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
martin collins 121/01/2020 18:43:21
443 forum posts
199 photos

Having just built Nigel Hawes 30" Tucano got me wondering, would this solid sanded balsa wing work at a 60" length for a 4 engined airliner? I have a hankering to scratch build one and like the idea of using this type of wing on it?

It seems very stable at slow speeds, thoughts please.............

J D 821/01/2020 18:54:29
1589 forum posts
87 photos

While this sort of wing works fine for smaller stuff, weight and torsional stiffness becomes a problem at larger sizes. More so if you hang four engines on it.

john davidson 121/01/2020 20:07:17
69 forum posts

made a B17 from depron 2 years ago with a flat wing, 60in span and four small motors, flew very well until one motor started playing up and without a rudder the plane spiralled in. If it had been an inner I might have landed ok. As JD 8 says wing rigidity is a problem ,put the carbon fibre rod at one third span and perhap another further back would help

Don Fry21/01/2020 20:50:45
4557 forum posts
54 photos
Posted by martin collins 1 on 21/01/2020 18:43:21:

Having just built Nigel Hawes 30" Tucano got me wondering, would this solid sanded balsa wing work at a 60" length for a 4 engined airliner? I have a hankering to scratch build one and like the idea of using this type of wing on it?

It seems very stable at slow speeds, thoughts please.............

If you scale a solid 30" wing up to 60", it carries 8 times more wood, and weight. And to lift the weight, it won't do slow.

Depron and carbon makes sense.

Nigel R21/01/2020 21:09:04
4082 forum posts
694 photos

have a feeling there was a chris foss glider with a wing made from two lengths of 1/4" thick wood, for 6' total span.

still used a very narrow chord, only a few inches (4"?) mind, so very high aspect ratio, sort of 15:1 type ratio.

Nigel Dell21/01/2020 22:18:58
465 forum posts
46 photos

Mini Phase

there was indeed, 3/8” sheet wings.

Simon Chaddock22/01/2020 00:46:51
5777 forum posts
3055 photos

martin

At twice the size a solid wing is not only 8 times the weight but is nothing like 8 times as strong or stiff. smile o

The strength of materials does not scale directly.

A small size model plane can be plenty strong enough using just a solid foam wing but the same at full size has to very carefully designed with a complex structure that puts just enough material, be it hard wood, aluminium or steel, only where it is required to achieve the required strength and stiffness.

The bigger the wing the more its structure has to be 'designed' to suit.

kc22/01/2020 12:14:36
6648 forum posts
173 photos

It might be possible to create a lighter but simple wing as a Jedelsky wing. David Boddington did a few in 30 inch size such as this Projed Bf109 which explains this construction.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!