By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Petrol conversation

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kevin Daniels 123/01/2020 09:37:33
1 forum posts

Hi all, my very first RCME mag had Mick Reeves on the front Winning the world Rc Championship with his Fournier ( I still have it)....so I’m very very old...but I still love flying and would like to convert three of my engines to run on petrol/ oil mix...my question to you all is Do you or do you not need to reduce the compression ratio of the engine...I have read many articles on the subject and they all differ....

All help and advice gratefully received

The engines are ..ASP 70 Fs...ASP 120 Fs...Saito FA 130 twin....

Regards Kev

flight123/01/2020 11:33:29
647 forum posts
33 photos

What's the reason for wanting to convert these engines to petrol, is it cost of fuel or just an interest?

Running these engines on petrol will have less power as they are running on methanol now.

with the smaller engine the extra weight of the ignition and battery will probably be a disadvantage.

I would keep them on glow and use a modern fully synthetic glow fuel with a low oil content to keep the mess at bay

as for the saito is it the twin plug version? that will be a problematic conversion.

If you really want a petrol engine sell what you don't want and buy a purpose built petrol engine

just my thoughts on going through all the other attempts and including mine are problematic

Denis Watkins23/01/2020 11:46:41
4082 forum posts
77 photos

Totally agree with Flight 1

Have a look at these previous posts Kevin

**LINK**

Jon - Laser Engines23/01/2020 12:35:42
5105 forum posts
221 photos

I agree with the other guys.

Converting them will not be as easy as is often implied and there is no guarantee it will work at all let alone work well. I have also had to repair countless broken Laser's following failed attempts to convert them.

Just run them all on a low nitro and low oil fuel like the model technics laser 5 or techpower 5 and tune them up on both needles. If you tune them correctly and run one of those fuels then you will find the engines to be surprising economical and much cleaner than were before.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us