By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Mid life crisis prevention required

Coming back to aeromodelling after 34 years...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Flyer27/01/2020 15:53:31
1326 forum posts
239 photos

A Chris Foss Uno Wot kit would be good. It’s a decent kit plus a traditional trainer and you can buy direct from Chris Foss designs. **LINK**

Nigel R27/01/2020 16:06:20
4081 forum posts
694 photos

**LINK**

DB Pronto, no question, easiest 3 chan RC balsa build going. Plan shows lots of dimensions - draw it straight on the wood. No awkward curves to cut out, apart from the wing rib template.

Perfect trainer characteristics when built.

Electric conversion - no problem, purchase some 25mm M3 standoffs and attach motor to firewall using standoffs. 3s3000 size lipo goes in the tank bay. ESC mounted between the standoffs right behind motor. 3536/1000kv motor, 9x6 prop, 30A esc, 3S 3000mAh lipos.

Edited By Nigel R on 27/01/2020 16:08:45

kc27/01/2020 19:41:10
6646 forum posts
173 photos

The Pronto looks like an ugly simplified version of the Tyro Major to me! Not a lot more effort to build a Tyro Major and the plan is also on Outerzone. The Tyro Major plan can also be purchased from DB Sport & Scale who also sell a set of wing ribs for £10.50 if you don't want to cut them yourself.

There is also a Mini Pronto plan on Outerzone.

David Hazell 127/01/2020 22:07:31
63 forum posts

Loving all the input I'm getting here, thanks so much chaps! I'm about to reach out to Amarc and see if I can get down to their club for a chat sometime in Feb.

All suggestions will be carefully considered and I'll let you know what I end up getting.

How about Tx/Rx? I guess it's going to be sensible to wait until I've been to the local club and discovered what mode the bulk of them use. Also bewildered by what's available there. At least if I get an electrical setup matched up by 4-max I won't have _that_ decision to also make...

Trevor Crook28/01/2020 07:11:43
1003 forum posts
71 photos

David, you will get plenty of different radio recommendations on here! I would suggest talking to the instructors in the club you are considering and seeking guidance from them on brand (as well as mode). Being able to connect to an instructor's transmitter with your own (so-called buddy-box) is a big plus, and generally only works with transmitters of the same make. You will also find it easier to get setup guidance from someone with the same make of radio.

Jason-I28/01/2020 08:56:03
331 forum posts
44 photos
Posted by Trevor Crook on 28/01/2020 07:11:43:

David, you will get plenty of different radio recommendations on here! I would suggest talking to the instructors in the club you are considering and seeking guidance from them on brand (as well as mode). Being able to connect to an instructor's transmitter with your own (so-called buddy-box) is a big plus, and generally only works with transmitters of the same make. You will also find it easier to get setup guidance from someone with the same make of radio.

And then, after considering all factors carefully, do what SWMBO does and pick the one with the nicest case.... wink

David Davis28/01/2020 09:01:20
3841 forum posts
741 photos

David, having trained quite a few retired novices my advice these days is to buy a radio which is compatible with your instructor's. You may have to visit a few clubs in order to find one which you'd like and an instructor prepared to teach you.

As for models, I understand the interest in building your own model, I do a lot of building myself, but I always advise against it because of the time and emotional investment which is involved in making your own model and the distinct probability of you damaging the model until you acquire greater competence, even if you are on a buddy box.

So, my recommendation for an Almost Ready To Fly (ARTF) trainer would be the Seagull Boomerang. This model may be completed with with a tricycle undercarriage or a conventional undecarriage and the box contains all of the bits for you to be able to power it with either an electric motor (4S LiPo) or an i/c engine. Its main advantage over other similar trainers is that the wing section is semi symmetrical enabing it to be flown more easily in a stiff breeze once you've gained some experience.

boomerang.jpg

There are quite a few foam ARTF trainers about. I use something called a "We Can Fly" from Horizon Hobbies. I believe it is a clone of an earlier Multiplex design.

we can fly.jpg

Powered gliders with the propeller behind the wing are popular. The Century Max Thrust has been mentioned. I suppose it could be ok on a buddy box but I've never flown one.

If you must build your own trainer, the DB Sport and Scale Mascot has a good reputation and the Super 60 from Ben Buckle has probably taught more Britons to fly than any other design up until the foam wing era. I learned on a Junior 60 myself but while I love its flying characteristics I would not recommend one as a trainer as they tend to get blown about a bit in anything stronger than a Force 2.

It seems that scale is your thing. In that case as a follow on model I'd recommend a highwing monoplane, an Auster, Cessna or the ubiquitous Piper Cub but make sure that your landings are as near as perfect before flying a biplane. If you're not straight and level on finals, those wingtips have a habit of hitting the ground.

Just my two pennorth.

Edited By David Davis on 28/01/2020 09:03:26

Richard Ashworth28/01/2020 09:31:08
107 forum posts
70 photos

Plus one for the ‘We Can Fly”. Good in wind up to 15 mph and fairly tough and big enough to be stable. Still occasionally fly it.

I started RC on one in 2015 under its ST Discovery guise (in stock Wheelspin Models and Sussex Model Centre at £125.) 4 ch rx and 3S 2200 battery all that is needed,

Edited By Richard Ashworth on 28/01/2020 09:33:42

Edited By Richard Ashworth on 28/01/2020 09:34:20

Don Fry28/01/2020 09:37:11
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Good advice. Don't fall in love with a trainer. Before you can fly what you want, learn to fly, and at minimal work and emotional ties.

If you want to build, respect, build the third model in the line. If scale, a Cub type, or an acrobatic thing like a Yak.

And I endorse David's comment about same brand radio. It's hard work reading a dirt big instruction manual, so you can program someone else's plane, and it's double hard work and stress to teach without a buddy box.

Nigel R28/01/2020 10:33:42
4081 forum posts
694 photos

"The Pronto looks like an ugly simplified version of the Tyro Major to me!"

It is exactly that, kc. Same size wing, same size taiplane, same size (give or take) fin and rudder.

See also, RM Trainer plan for another DB design with the same wing and tail set as Tyro Major.

I would contest the point about a Tyro Major being "not much more work" over a Pronto, I reckon for a novice it would be a lot more work. Pronto fuselage is all sheet, all straight lines. Tyro has lots of built up stuff, sectioned tailplane, awkward rudder attachment, etc etc. Pronto was described in the build article as "the quickest way to build a trainer", which I believe.

The RM Trainer above is a halfway house between the two.

DB Mascot is another variation on the above.

I'd still recommend Pronto if our man is dead set on building it himself - I can't think of a quicker or simpler way to plan build a trainer.

Don's advice is spot on - don't fall in love with the trainer, it is a tool to do a job.

Edited By Nigel R on 28/01/2020 10:35:05

David Davis28/01/2020 11:24:08
3841 forum posts
741 photos

PS. Further to my earlier post, once you are able to take off fly about and land a four channel trainer, if you don't fancy any of the models offered by the kit manufacturers, there are sites like "The Outerzone," which you can visit and which will let you download any of several thousand plans for free. **LINK**

You could then send the plans on to a laser kit cutter and he will cut out all of the difficult bits for you for a fee.

It's just a thought.

David Hazell 128/01/2020 14:25:55
63 forum posts

Great advice guys. I'm not dead set of building out my first model necessarily. I don't see why I couldn't buy an ARTF and also get started on a build, aware of the fact it will be put in a queue consistent with my flying ability! So I think that's what I'll do. I quite like the look of quite a few of the models linked to here, so I really appreciate the feedback so far.

I'll wait till I've gotten in touch with the guys at AMARC and see what's what. They're having a meeting at a local pub tonight, but I'm not local at the mo, having jumped on a real plane this morning! Bad timing! I'll go to the next one.

Great advice about the Tx Rx...

Will revisit this later, need to go get skis for tomorrow now though!

stevejet6628/01/2020 18:19:04
152 forum posts
28 photos

Mid life crisis prevention.

Tip: Drink beersmiley

David Hazell 128/01/2020 18:54:16
63 forum posts

Hahaha, bloody good tip, but I'm just finishing up with dry Jan... Playing Poker in Andorra with a bunch of lads tonight though so I reckon I might have a tipple!

Ray Wood 428/01/2020 21:35:47
230 forum posts
44 photos

Another tip 😀

Dry January I have lost 10lbs not drinking beer !!

Regards Ray

David Davis29/01/2020 08:52:07
3841 forum posts
741 photos
Posted by Ray Wood 4 on 28/01/2020 21:35:47:

Another tip 😀

Dry January I have lost 10lbs not drinking beer !!

Regards Ray

That's impressive Ray.

I wish I had that degree of self control!

Keith Evans 329/01/2020 09:53:06
404 forum posts
157 photos

David could I suggest Tony NIjhuis's SKY 40 .This is now kitted by SLEC .It is very easy to assemble with interlocking laser cut parts and is suitable for both I.C. and electric .It was designed as a trainer and was featured as a free plan in RCME a few years back .With increased throws it is a good aerobatic machine and modified for flaps is very versatile .

Keith

Ray Wood 429/01/2020 11:30:11
230 forum posts
44 photos

Hi David,

Yes I have surprised myself, and saved some money, just ordering a Balsa tree from SLEC on the strength of it

Regards Ray

David Hazell 129/01/2020 17:00:16
63 forum posts
Posted by Keith Evans 3 on 29/01/2020 09:53:06:

David could I suggest Tony NIjhuis's SKY 40 .This is now kitted by SLEC .It is very easy to assemble with interlocking laser cut parts and is suitable for both I.C. and electric .It was designed as a trainer and was featured as a free plan in RCME a few years back .With increased throws it is a good aerobatic machine and modified for flaps is very versatile .

Keith

Oooh looks good. Do you happen to know what the wingspan is?

Denis Watkins29/01/2020 17:56:21
4632 forum posts
129 photos
Posted by David Hazell 1 on 29/01/2020 17:00:16:
Posted by Keith Evans 3 on 29/01/2020 09:53:06:

Keith

Oooh looks good. Do you happen to know what the wingspan is?

65.5 inches David

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!