Forum sponsored by CML

Removing anodizing

Info?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Murphy 126/01/2020 14:41:25
464 forum posts
22 photos

I have some RC car wheels that are anodized. Want to use these on another model but the colour is not right.

I have seen vids on YT about removing anodizing with home cleaning products.A lot of which we do not have here BUT I think oven cleaner is worth a go.

What I am not sure on is the aftermath, i would be happy to polish and leave bare silver,its ally. But will the removing leave pitted and need painting? if I did polish bare metal will I need to clear coat?

I suppose the best way would be to acid etch prime,paint silver then clear coat BUT that's a lot of work this time of year.

Tim C26/01/2020 15:11:28
530 forum posts
278 photos

Dip the parts in Caustic Soda, Rubber Gloves and goggles are essential, don't leave too long in the solution as it will eat the aluminium. It will leave the surface clean and smooth for polishing, clear coat will help keep oxidizing at bay but is not essential, I have renovated old anodised cycle parts into shiny new parts, not bothered clear coating, a quick polish every now and then keeps them looking good despite the exposure to the elements.

Gary Murphy 126/01/2020 18:06:05
464 forum posts
22 photos

Thanks Tim, Is caustic soda easy to find in shops now? See a guy use oven cleaner in the US was going to try that.

Tim C26/01/2020 19:41:50
530 forum posts
278 photos

Caustic soda, widely available in good hardware shops and the likes of b and q, likely not in your local supermarket. Do follow the instructions when dissolving the crystals it gives of a lot of heat when mixed with water

paul d26/01/2020 19:57:36
210 forum posts
26 photos

Don't dip the parts in caustic soda, suspend them over a bowl of the solution, the fumes are far more gentle, dipping parts can cause severe erosion, I've stripped several antique fishing reels this way.

The fumes are horrendous btw, please do it outside.

If your not in a rush good old fashioned 'Dettol' , the original Brown stuff, is a very gentle way of stripping anodising, it'll take a few days and the parts must be immersed in it but it works wonderfully without the harmful fumes......

Gary Murphy 128/01/2020 22:18:53
464 forum posts
22 photos

Paul, I thought I would try your way being less potent.

Found the brown stuff in waitrose, The parts are submerged in a pot. Been 24hrs so far with no sign of action.Will keep you informed. These companies do tend to change the formula of stuff!

paul d29/01/2020 06:50:42
210 forum posts
26 photos

Gary, I do hope they havnt changed the formula! used to work a treat.

Gary Murphy 129/01/2020 08:41:48
464 forum posts
22 photos

36hrs and still counting. the formula being changed and what notis my only doubt , what with health and safety. we used to use a cream kitchen cleaner,can not think of the name,well known,but it changed to CIF. its useless now ,wont budge marks from a white surface,i digress.

Engine Doctor29/01/2020 10:53:24
2594 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 29/01/2020 08:41:48:

36hrs and still counting. the formula being changed and what notis my only doubt , what with health and safety. we used to use a cream kitchen cleaner,can not think of the name,well known,but it changed to CIF. its useless now ,wont budge marks from a white surface,i digress.

It was called " Jif " . The newer useless stuff usually has the " New improved formula " added on the packing!

Use caustic soda . I have used it to stripp anodising before re anodising a different colour. Take all precaution already mentioned have a container of clean water handy and a bottle of vinegar to neutralise any splashes and dont go away and leave it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!