Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Delta Wing Side Thrust

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Shaun Roberts27/01/2020 19:54:41
17 forum posts

Hi,

I've an old IC delta wing i'm converting to electric. I believe its a Laser arrow which used to be powered by an Irvine 40 and flown by myself some 20 years ago (Where does the time go!) I have a spare 700KV motor which i'm hoping will be enough to power it.

The motor i'm using is from a foam Cub which my dad piled in the other week. The motor mount has some built in side thrust. Do delta wings need side thrust also or should i mount the motor neutrally?

Thanks in advance,

Shaun.

Malcolm Fisher27/01/2020 20:02:28
649 forum posts
7 photos

Not sure if this will help. I built a sort of Vulcan slope soarer some years ago. To make a power version as well I made the fuselage top as a separate part rather than have a hatch. I built a second fuselage top and installed an OS 10 engine with an extra servo for the throttle. The two are easily interchangeable. My power version had neither side not downthrust.

Malcolm

Denis Watkins27/01/2020 20:41:07
4632 forum posts
129 photos

Both my deltas are Zero

Chris Walby27/01/2020 20:49:14
1323 forum posts
332 photos

I have a foam Yeti (Zagi look alike) + just finished a Can Doo (Canard Delta) and both have no side thrust. Both are pushers and Ollie is a tractor (not fitted in the photo) again with no side thrust although he flies a bit "Ruff"

20170803_065354.jpg

Shaun Roberts27/01/2020 20:57:22
17 forum posts

Thanks guys....No side thrust it is.

Chris that's a really nice tail...I'm now fleaing before anymore puns occur to me.

Shaun.

ron evans27/01/2020 21:32:54
457 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Shaun, I have an E powered delta ( have a look in my album) it has no side thrust and is fine at normal flight speeds.

When flying slowly at high angles of attack, power needs to be added slowly to avoid severe torque reaction. In fact it can be fun to do this at altitude and go to full power holding in up, the model will spin whilst climbing.

Your 700kv motor will use a larger prop than mine, so I would at least leave the option open to add side thrust at a later date.

Strangely my pusher Cutlass does not have the same torque reaction as the tractor delta, though they are the same size and use the same power train.

Ron

Simon Chaddock28/01/2020 00:23:51
5776 forum posts
3055 photos

Shaun

As ron says a delta will suffer from motor torque reaction however a delta tends to have a poor reaction to side slip so does not bank quickly. The result is side thrust will only have a limited effect in resisting the motor torque.

On the other hand to provide adequate pitch control they do tend to have large control surfaces so are likely to possess more than enough role authority to resist motor torque in most circumstances - you just have to remember to apply it and in some circumstances a lot of it! wink 2

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!