Forum sponsored by CML

Horizon Hobby not Responding

New Model with a Factory Defect

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Ray28/01/2020 09:42:31
743 forum posts
19 photos

I find that wether a company gives good service is when things go wrong and not how quickly something arrives.

I ordered a Staufenbiel Vegas PNP over the New Year, or more accurately a friend did as I was away. There is no building of this model required, purely assembly work and linkages made.

When I fitted the wings to the fuselage I noticed a mismatch in the angle between the two wings which was borne out on the bench to the tune of 1º. In flight this results in a significant roll requiring a trim correction of around 1.5mm on each aileron.

This would be relatively straightforward to fix as the wing is supported on one round wing joiner and two incidence pegs except for the fact that the MPX Multilock system is used and a MPX green wiring connector is also embedded in the root. It may be possible to adjust each wing by 1/2º and because the connector and Multilock are fairly close to the wing joiner all may be well, but that remains to be seen.

However I felt it was unacceptable that quality control had allowed a model with such a defect to be supplied. On January 13th I filled in a service ticket describing the defect and attaching photos, two days later I received a reply stating that after customer service consulted with the service department I should return the model to an address in Germany, or HH would arrange collection and I was to let them know when was convenient by replying to the email. This I did the same day, the 15th, I also wanted to know their intention with regard to replacement or refund, as yet I have had no response. I sent a further email on the 20th, again no reply. I have twice tried to ring the number on the HH webpage, a UK number that seems to re-route to America judging by the accent. I left messages to call me back, nothing.

So, really not good service. I could get my friend to initiate a claim through the payment process but I don't really want to involve him at that level. I could fix the model which I may well end up doing as it is the least line of resistance and well within my abilities, but that is not the point. This thing has a retail price tag of £509.99, when it was ordered it was on offer for a much more reasonable £279.99 which takes some of the sting out of it. I would be mightily annoyed if I had paid full price and received this level of non-service.

In all honesty I have had far better service from HobbyKing over faulty products than I am getting from Horizon Hobby, Horizon's service used to be exemplary but no more.

If anyone has any ideas how best to contact Horizon Hobby I would be pleased to hear from you.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 28/01/2020 09:45:06

Martin Harris28/01/2020 09:59:17
9084 forum posts
224 photos

Is there any possibility that this was sold as a "second"? It seems like a massive reduction and I see that the full price is being charged again now.

Jason-I28/01/2020 10:48:09
290 forum posts
37 photos

I spent years getting ignored by Horizon Hobby. I will not buy anything from them anymore.

Oh, and when they did respond several years later after being shamed into it on social media, they said they would not resolve the issue as it was too old! (even though it was only old because they did not respond when the issue was new!)

Disgraceful company in my opinion.

Andrew Ray28/01/2020 10:57:21
743 forum posts
19 photos

Martin, no, it was not sold as a second. I thought they might be offloading stocks and the model was being discontinued but no mention of any defect.

Jason, I'm feeling the same, no use buying something that has a fault and then being ignored, I too will take my business elsewhere.

Shaun Walsh28/01/2020 11:44:54
224 forum posts
13 photos

I presume you paid using a card. Contact the card provider and request a chargeback for the cost of the model on the basis that you were sent faulty goods. That should prompt HH to contact you so you can arrange return.

PatMc28/01/2020 12:14:22
4290 forum posts
524 photos
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 28/01/2020 11:44:54:

I presume you paid using a card. Contact the card provider and request a chargeback for the cost of the model on the basis that you were sent faulty goods. That should prompt HH to contact you so you can arrange return.

I think that only applies if you paid by credit (not debit) card & you haven't paid off the full amount owing.

An alternative might be to use the terms of the Distance Selling Act. Info from Which? here.

Shaun Walsh28/01/2020 12:22:53
224 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by PatMc on 28/01/2020 12:14:22:
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 28/01/2020 11:44:54:

I think that only applies if you paid by credit (not debit) card & you haven't paid off the full amount owing.

An alternative might be to use the terms of the Distance Selling Act. Info from Which? here.

I am pretty sure it apples to both debit and credit cards and is regardless of whether you have paid all of the credit card amount off. However I think it applies to transactions over £100.

Stephen Smith 1428/01/2020 18:14:09
169 forum posts

HH are a disgusting company, learned this with one of the very first DX8. There still today selling radios with poor quality rf boards and pots, they really don't care.

Will never buy anything from them again, won't even buy secondhand

Jason-I28/01/2020 18:41:15
290 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 28/01/2020 18:14:09:

HH are a disgusting company, learned this with one of the very first DX8. There still today selling radios with poor quality rf boards and pots, they really don't care.

Will never buy anything from them again, won't even buy secondhand

My DX9 has gone through 2 RF boards. I also have a duff dx6 and dx5e with failed boards. Stopped buying any of their stuff a few years ago when they stopped replying to customer service emails. Letters to their CEO in the USA resulted in no response too. Would not touch them with a barge pole lately.

Andrew Ray28/01/2020 19:11:01
743 forum posts
19 photos

Shaun, a friend paid on his card, I don't really want to get him involved, HH should honour their obligations.

Pat, it's a thought, I could quote the law to them, not so much distance selling but what was the Sale of Goods Act.

Trouble is the line of least resistance is to fix it myself and give HH products a miss in future.

Don Fry28/01/2020 19:16:40
4385 forum posts
52 photos

Any defenders of the company, recent experiences?

Jason-I28/01/2020 20:02:38
290 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 28/01/2020 19:16:40:

Any defenders of the company, recent experiences?

Not seen anything positive about them lately. I even witnessed a fellow Brit being made to look stupid by a Horizon Hobby employee over on rcgroups.surprise

Andy Stephenson29/01/2020 18:09:21
41 forum posts
1 photos

Andrew,

Try shaming HH on RC Groups this forum has international coverage.

A.

Andrew Ray03/02/2020 08:33:35
743 forum posts
19 photos

Andy, I may well do that.

Sent a third email an the 28th of January, same story, no reply.

Don, it seems there are no defenders of this company.

I will be another who will not knowingly be doing business with them ever again

Andrew Ray07/02/2020 13:16:01
743 forum posts
19 photos

My post on RCG elicited a PM from Timo at Horizon Hobby in Germany and a couple of emails later a satisfactory outcome.

So, my faith in Horizon has been restored yes

FilmBuff07/02/2020 13:21:42
256 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by Andrew Ray on 07/02/2020 13:16:01:

My post on RCG elicited a PM from Timo at Horizon Hobby in Germany and a couple of emails later a satisfactory outcome.

Glad to hear that - as the Vegas is an awesome model!

Mike T07/02/2020 15:05:54
435 forum posts
29 photos
Posted by Andrew Ray on 07/02/2020 13:16:01:

Mine wouldn't be, if they'd only responded after a 'name and shame' post on a forum with international exposure!

The usual forum etiquette is to give suppliers a chance to resolve problems before making waves online, but many prove to be serial offenders.

Perhaps the best 'standard operating procedure' with these is to follow their reporting process, but with the inclusion of a statement that the matter is also being posted on RCG etc. so that the wider modelling community can monitor the outcome. Obviously, a good result should be trumpeted as loudly as a bad one. Stick and carrot...

Andrew Ray07/02/2020 15:43:42
743 forum posts
19 photos

Actually Mike, your assumptions are not correct.

They did respond initially. I have no idea why the lines of communication failed after that, I am told that they have no record of my subsequent emails and not being too cynical I am prepared to take that as the truth.

So far as forum etiquette goes, I sent emails over a few weeks, ample time to elicit a response and I’m not quite sure what your point is...

Jason-I07/02/2020 16:30:36
290 forum posts
37 photos

I sent Horizon many emails, which they failed to respond to. I sent recorded delivery letters which they failed to respond to. When somebody finally responded after naming and shaming online, they said that they 'cannot deal with old issues'. When I pointed out that the issues were only old because they ignored my emails and letters when the issues were new they stopped replying.

As far as I'm concerned Horizon are rotten to the core. Their products are overpriced and not particularly reliable. I used to be an advocate of their products. My advice now is not to touch them with a barge pole.

Mike T07/02/2020 17:43:55
435 forum posts
29 photos
Posted by Andrew Ray on 07/02/2020 15:43:42:

Actually Mike, your assumptions are not correct.

They did respond initially. I have no idea why the lines of communication failed after that, I am told that they have no record of my subsequent emails and not being too cynical I am prepared to take that as the truth.

So far as forum etiquette goes, I sent emails over a few weeks, ample time to elicit a response and I’m not quite sure what your point is...

OK - I'll try again smiley

My point is that where you/we are dealing with a supplier who has 'form' (HH in this case, as evidenced by your tale and that of other posters - Jason-I is the laterst) a pre-emptive strike may be in order. That is, in your/our initial communications with them, inform them that you are posting the issue on (insert media of choice) to inform others and keep them abreast of developments. It needn't be threatening or nasty - just informative and lets them know they are under scrutiny. They may not give a flying fish, but what harm can it do but to try?

You/I/we wouldn't take this action with known 'good guys', unless it was to post after the event how well they'd handled it.

HTH

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
CADMA
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us