My dodgy attempt at building the F86!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil Willett03/07/2020 19:51:06
17 forum posts
42 photos

A bit more progress for me...

The fuselage is now sanded and primed.

img_1498.jpg. Im still waiting for Vortex to supply me the canopy so I cant really move further forward anymore on the fuse because there is still some balsa work to do the fit the canopy. So I've started to finish the stabilisers and wings. Here are the finished stabilisers.

stabilisers.jpg

Covered in film and sprayed yellow/black stripe.

I made 4 servo hatch covers using ply sheet with a plastic tube cut and glued over a slot for the linkage, and reinforced with glass/epoxy then sprayed silver to match. Couple of mini screws used to secure it down and it looks ok and should protect the linkage quite well.

.Ail hatch.jpg

Phil Willett03/07/2020 20:06:10
17 forum posts
42 photos

And the wings now finished, with ailerons and flap hinges glued in final place and linkages adjusted to suit.

The wing is covered in grey film with yellow/black stripes sprayed over. The USAF star has been home printed on sticky back vinyl with my ink jet printer, given a thin coat of clear lacquer (I used Halfords automotive clear lacquer) and then stuck in place. I next plan to add panel join lines with a permanent marker pen and the give the wing a thin coat of clear varnish over the lot to waterproof them.

.wing finished.jpg

I have also made a simple cockpit arrangement seat and pilot. sprayed and ready to fit when I get my canopy.

On the delayed Vortex canopy problem, I have had no response from Vortex to my many emails, so I wrote a letter to them last week and received a reply by email from Steve. He tells me they are having problems sourcing the thin plastic material used for the canopy as the supplies have been gobbled up by the NHS for use in making the visors for covid NHS staff. Hence the delays. He hopes to get a supply soon and will make the canopy for me as soon as he can. So as far as I'm concerned the plastic is being put to a more important use than my canopy and I am happy to wait until he can manufacture it.

Cheers,

Phil

McG 696903/07/2020 20:28:02
3300 forum posts
1255 photos

Great job, Phil. yes

I wish I was that far with my progress...

I've been reading that Steve/Vortex had now just received a new stock of PETG.

I guess you will have your canopy soon now.

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!