Forum sponsored by CML

Spitfire Kit Choice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon - Laser Engines27/02/2020 14:02:42
5181 forum posts
236 photos

No problem Dave.

Do you know which power plant you are likely to use? I would go for a 30cc 4 stroke or equivalent. If it helps i can upload a photo of my half built fuselage?

LHR Dave27/02/2020 14:10:13
123 forum posts
29 photos

Not sure which power plant yet, that decision is quite a way off yet.

Would appreciate photo's.

Dave

Jon - Laser Engines27/02/2020 22:09:35
5181 forum posts
236 photos

i fished out my fuselage/plans and it dawned on me that i had never really looked at them before with a view to installing an engine.

Another rummage turned up my intended power plant, a laser 180. It fits the cowl lovely, but fuel tank position and cooling look like they need some consideration.

The cooling in particular looks a challenge, irrespective of the power plant used but that is usually the way with inline engine warbirds. There just isnt much room for the air to get out of the cowl.

If i use the 180 glow i will have to get the tank as low as i can, which i think should be easy enough. The cooling problem might have to wait until i have buld more of the model and i can see where the wing structure sits and how my tank position mods impact it all.

db spit.jpg

db spit 2.jpg

LHR Dave28/02/2020 08:15:17
123 forum posts
29 photos

Cheers for the photos Jon, the Laser 180 does seem to fit in the cowl very nicely. When it comes to the engine choice it will be a top contender.As I said at the beginning of this thread once i get my hands on my kit it will be a very slow build indeed, they are still out of stock at DB. I have a few projects to start/ finish first anyway but I like to have as much info on a new project first before i start them.

If anyone else has any info/photos of a DB sport and scale Spitfire It would be appreciated.

Dave

flight128/02/2020 08:46:27
654 forum posts
33 photos

see this build thread ,had it in my saved links when trying to choose my next project(built up wings version)

hope it helps

Edited By flight1 on 28/02/2020 08:49:58

Jon - Laser Engines28/02/2020 09:18:04
5181 forum posts
236 photos

Yea its a neat fit but the tank and cooling are a challenge. Looking at photos on the DB site i think i will add another pair of ribs, chop out part of the undercarriage mount, leading edge and anything else that gets in my way. As i plan on a 1 piece wing i can leave out the structure for the wing joining. The idea of all this is to clear enough space in the centre section to create a tunnel in the wing for the hot air to escape the cowling.

For the tank i will probably use another of the very thin sullivan V tanks. They are intended for boats but a tank is a tank. My idea at the moment is to nibble away part of the wing to allow it to sit lower but again it all depends on how the wing structure sits and how i can fit it all in. I wont know for sure until i have all the parts in my hands.

James Green228/02/2020 10:26:55
56 forum posts
16 photos

For what it's worth, I did a study of the DB and BT spots. I purchased the drawings for the Monforton spitfire and then scanned the plans for the DB and BT. I then overplayed then onto the Monforton. The BT is very close but the DB seems to be stretched in the y-axis. As the DB is a copy/enlargement of the Millinship spitfire on Outerzone, I then compared those two. I found I had to shrink the y-axis scale on the DB to fit the Millinship, which it then did exactly.

The Millinship spitfire is close to scale also compared to the Monforton. I think it best to treat the Nijhuis and DB as sport scale in outline.

Hope that makes sense!

James

James Green228/02/2020 10:33:57
56 forum posts
16 photos

I have also overlayed the Ziroli spit on to the Monforton, that is accurate too. I plan to scan my MR plans and see how that compares, but being 1/4 scale it might be beyond my handheld scanner. I used to have a copy of the plans as a drawing file that I found on the internet, but I seem to have lost them.

James.

Richard B (DB Sport and Scale Ltd)28/02/2020 11:27:07
35 forum posts
1 photos

I wouldn't agree with that I'm afraid. I have just done a very quick comparison by overlaying a 3 view onto our plan and it's pretty darned close. Bearing in mind that it's not the right mark and 3 views sometimes differ slightly.

This may be a link to a very obfuscated screen grab showing a blurred 3 view outline superimposed onto the plan. It may or may not work as it's my first pic outing on here. If it doesn't then I'll read the instructions later!

P.s. Please don't scan our plans. It's clearly for an innocent purpose but once scanned it's only a simple accident away from appearing on a download site.

P.P.S. They have been out of stock for some time but should be back in the next two weeks...deliveries and machinery dependent.

Spit overlay

Jon - Laser Engines28/02/2020 11:34:53
5181 forum posts
236 photos

Neither the DB Hurricane or Spitfire are totally scale but both are certainly more accurate than almost all of the artf's out there. I know the BT offerings have always been very close.

I wonder how the fokkerc version compares.

Truthfully though, i am not that worried. As i already mentioned they all look miles better than most ARTF's and are instantly recognisable. For my purposes they are perfectly satisfactory

LHR Dave28/02/2020 12:13:23
123 forum posts
29 photos

Again great info guys, but I agree with Jon, I am not entering any scale comps so the DB Spit will be more than adequate for my needs.

It is interesting to get other views on what else is out there.

Jon - Laser Engines28/02/2020 18:25:55
5181 forum posts
236 photos
Posted by LHR Dave on 28/02/2020 12:13:23:

It is interesting to get other views on what else is out there.

Its always good to know your options. We have discussed the merits of..5? brands of spitfire now and yet have ignored at least another 2 i can think of off the top of my head. Each has good points and bad and its just a case of working out what is best for you.

Brian Taylor and Mick Reeves are probably the most accurate from a scale point of view but are more difficult to build.

Fokkerc looks good but its a new style of model with a great deal left down to the builder to figure out and no hardware is included.

DB offer a complete kit that can be adjusted by the builder but is essentially complete with all of the required accessories (spinner, cowl, canopy etc) in the box. It might make a few small concessions to scale, but it looks like a Spitfire and its unlikely anyone will notice the difference.

As discussed i have both the Fokkerc and DB Spitfire and i am keen to get on to both. I already have a list of things im going to do, i have chosen paint schemes, assigned engines to the job, got piles of accessories of each model so everything is ready to go.

I really enjoy the prep for a build, its probably why i have so many models just waiting for the trigger pull to get them moving.

James Green228/02/2020 18:40:47
56 forum posts
16 photos

capture.jpg

James Green228/02/2020 18:46:03
56 forum posts
16 photos

I hope the above post shows how good the Millinship spitfire is when overlayed on to the Monforton drawing (red). It is pretty much an exact match. I know that Rob Millinship had access to a spitfire to take measurements for the model and put countless hours into the plans.

Of course I make my comparison with the Monforton plans whilst being fully aware that the Monforton is a Mk IX and thus has a longer nose. I have made allowances for this in the research.

I like the Millinship design as it is simple and robust, in many ways a morphed Acrowot into a Spitfire!

Nigel R29/02/2020 17:21:37
3464 forum posts
524 photos

I rather like that millinship plan. I could be tempted after the current build is completed. Could work nicely scaled up a bit for my boat anchor os 120.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us