By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

CAA ID number discussion

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Hammond23/02/2020 08:58:16
338 forum posts

How about a mass demonstration to demand our £9 back and threaten to go on strike ,that would make the powers that be sit up and take notice 😈😈

Steve J23/02/2020 09:15:02
1773 forum posts
51 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 23/02/2020 08:28:19:

Therefore I will be printing out the recent article from the BMFA explaining the incompetance of the CAA and stating that we don't need a Flyer ID.

Before long we will need a file an inch thick in our flight boxes just to prove that we are legal.

Have you considered spending 10 minutes doing the CAA test and getting a flyer ID? If you did you wouldn't have to bother with the article 94F exemption. Just a suggestion.

Peter Miller23/02/2020 09:19:19
10742 forum posts
1259 photos
10 articles

Why on earth would I do that? I have an A cert and don't NEED a flyer ID

Cuban823/02/2020 09:44:00
2866 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Brian Hammond on 23/02/2020 08:58:16:

How about a mass demonstration to demand our £9 back and threaten to go on strike ,that would make the powers that be sit up and take notice 😈😈

Those of us who floated the idea of 'pushing back' on these rules were roundly accused of being reactionary and boring by some others on this site. TBH, where we are now doesn't impact us by much other than being fleeced of nine quid and the minor inconvenience of putting a totally worthless label on your models and having your email inbox filled with updates and afterthoughts. If this makes you feel good and adds to your overall positive experience of our great hobby, then that's just fine. This whole fiasco hardly merits a mention or a disinterested shrug of the shoulders among those club members that attend the meetings of the two clubs that I belong too. So forget any 'popular uprising'. Give it a year or so and Joe Flyer might start asking why he's being charged to jump through hoops for no good reason and for no benefit to the security or safety of the lower airspace or the wider good of aeromodelling............please don't give me all the propaganda about drone delivery, flying taxis, surveillance etc etc and how they'll need to know where we are. It'll never meaningfully reach that stage for a number of reasons, and what we have now is a solution looking for a non existant problem that will go on for many many years until someone wakes up to the futility of it and clearly demonstrates the failings of targetting 'the good guys'.  By then our hobby might well be so badly diminished that no one will care anyway.

I have my number (yipee!) and it'll be attached to my models when I can be asked. Closed season for flying for me at the moment but looking forward to the better weather. Enjoy your flying, all nice and legal for now, but beware of bureaucrats bearing regulations - they haven't finished with us yet and I fear just what sort of regulatory coup de grace they'll dream up in the coming years.

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/02/2020 10:14:59

Keith Sharples23/02/2020 10:18:02
142 forum posts
2 photos

It seriously saddens me that there are so may moaning, stupid, gretins in this hobby. The law is the law whether we like it or not. The BMFA have done a stirling job in holding back the reins of possible imposed legislation and getting us a better deal and all some can do is whine and winge. If the BMFA (and other model flying organisations) had not stepped in where would we be now.

The more that don't follow the law the more difficult it will be for all of us in the end.

Peter Jenkins23/02/2020 10:29:56
1387 forum posts
142 photos

+1!

Old Geezer23/02/2020 11:01:24
670 forum posts

+ another 1 😎

Life's too short to get aeriated about what are in relation to our hobby, generally minor aggravations, inflicted upon us by unelected timeservers. Nine quid and a bit of form-filling is hardly "The end of life (or in our case rc model flying) as we know it".

I've already got my A Cert' - so, after my annual phone call to HQ my insurance & membership is paid up to date - then, earlier this week I received an email with my CAA number. The whole deal was sorted out painlessly with a five minute (might have been less) phone call - where IS the problem?

cymaz23/02/2020 11:08:45
9018 forum posts
1187 photos
Posted by cymaz on 21/02/2020 22:40:13:

Here’s a good one

Mrs C and I both fly in the same club. Mrs C has NO A cert and has a flier ID as a result.

I have a B cert and on the portal it clearly show I am CAA registered.

So in who’s name is the operator ID in?? Yep the wife’s............work that one outsurprise

At least some of you have your operator number under the correct name!

leccyflyer23/02/2020 11:13:09
1347 forum posts
314 photos
Posted by Old Geezer on 23/02/2020 11:01:24:

+ another 1 😎

Life's too short to get aeriated about what are in relation to our hobby, generally minor aggravations, inflicted upon us by unelected timeservers. Nine quid and a bit of form-filling is hardly "The end of life (or in our case rc model flying) as we know it".

I've already got my A Cert' - so, after my annual phone call to HQ my insurance & membership is paid up to date - then, earlier this week I received an email with my CAA number. The whole deal was sorted out painlessly with a five minute (might have been less) phone call - where IS the problem?

The problem is that not everyone has experienced that simple process in the intended manner - as evidenced by the change of tack by the CAA and issue of an amended exception for all association members.

trebor23/02/2020 11:33:43
1926 forum posts
216 photos
Posted by Old Geezer on 23/02/2020 11:01:24:

Nine quid and a bit of form-filling is hardly "The end of life (or in our case rc model flying) as we know it".

But the thing that bugs me is not the nine pounds but over 36,000 members thats £324,000 for what ?

Tim Kearsley23/02/2020 11:44:46
640 forum posts
3 photos

All of this could pale into insignificance of course if (more likely when) so-called "electronic conspicuity" becomes enforced on us. I believe that really WILL see people dropping out of the hobby.

Having just watched the recent "Panorama" programme on the subject of how much Amazon knows about us and their ambitions, I wouldn't be too sure that Amazon drones won't be in the skies before long. It seems that it won't only be deliveries they'll be doing, but surveillance too.

Tim.

SR 7123/02/2020 12:09:32
398 forum posts
128 photos

I think the criminal element will have a field day with the amazon delivery drones, i had £1500 worth of modelling gear being shipped out to Cyprus when i lived there by UPS, the UPS lorry carrying it was stolen in the uk, so the drones stand no chance

Foxfan23/02/2020 12:30:34
925 forum posts
7 photos

I believe the CAA have a very capable tea lady who earns a small fortune and supplies some of Fortnum's most treasured confectionary and even imports the finest teas from China and Darjeeling. It is served in antique hand gilded porcelain and takes a fair chunk out of their day to serve, consume and relish. Fortunately the cost of this essential aspect of working there is exactly 324,000 Pounds per annum, so whoever worked out the accounts on that one was spot on!

Martin (tongue so far in cheek I've had to tattoo my OP number on it)

Pete B - Moderator23/02/2020 13:35:19
7627 forum posts
733 photos
Posted by trebor on 23/02/2020 09:35:30:
We could have our own Extinction Rebellion called the CAA Rebellion, go to the head office and dig some turf angry 2 I,ve got my spade in the car yes

Trebor, please reassure me and others who have reported this post as being irresponsible that it was intended as a 'tongue in cheek' comment, rather than a plan for the next wet flying day.....otherwise I'll have to remove itsmile

Pete

Martin Harris23/02/2020 15:24:02
9160 forum posts
229 photos
Posted by trebor on 23/02/2020 08:45:25:

I want my £9 back if we are exempt for half the year or at least £4.50 face 5

It seems very clear to me from Andy Symons' explanation that the exemption is intended to cover new members and late renewals and has been simplified to cover the situation without the wording getting too complex.

Why not just celebrate that you've had a couple of months advantage over the ordinary punters who've paid from the inception of the Operator registration?

None of us want, or see the need for registration and many of us have voiced their reasoned objections but it's gone through the due process and is now law. We have far worse to worry about than the cost of half a gallon of glow fuel when the European legislators get going in July!

SIMON CRAGG23/02/2020 15:34:48
544 forum posts
15 photos

Just got back from a good flying session, where the topic barly got a mention.

All paid £9.00

Stuck stickers on.

Flying and having fun.

End of!

trebor23/02/2020 17:26:01
1926 forum posts
216 photos

Pete, of course it was "tongue in cheek" dont forget to delete your post with my quote in case they report you laugh

Tim Kearsley23/02/2020 17:32:50
640 forum posts
3 photos

Trebor, I think a few on here either were born without a sense of humour or have since had it surgically removed!

Tim.

cymaz23/02/2020 17:39:25
9018 forum posts
1187 photos

I can’t believe what a dog’s breakfast it’s turned into. The CAA should have left it all to the bmfa ( I include LMA and SAA ).Even to the point of giving Chacksfield some personnel to help, they know the fliers, they know their records.

Just because we’re bizarre men and women sit in fields with an odd pastime doesn’t mean we can’t run a simple licence system........that’s what the bmfa has been doing since Moses was a lad

Edited By cymaz on 23/02/2020 17:41:37

john stones 123/02/2020 18:05:35
11151 forum posts
1503 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 23/02/2020 09:44:00:
Posted by Brian Hammond on 23/02/2020 08:58:16:

Those of us who floated the idea of 'pushing back' on these rules were roundly accused of being reactionary and boring by some others on this site. TBH, where we are now doesn't impact us by much other than being fleeced of nine quid and the minor inconvenience of putting a totally worthless label on your models and having your email inbox filled with updates and afterthoughts. If this makes you feel good and adds to your overall positive experience of our great hobby, then that's just fine. This whole fiasco hardly merits a mention or a disinterested shrug of the shoulders among those club members that attend the meetings of the two clubs that I belong too. So forget any 'popular uprising'. Give it a year or so and Joe Flyer might start asking why he's being charged to jump through hoops for no good reason and for no benefit to the security or safety of the lower airspace or the wider good of aeromodelling............please don't give me all the propaganda about drone delivery, flying taxis, surveillance etc etc and how they'll need to know where we are. It'll never meaningfully reach that stage for a number of reasons, and what we have now is a solution looking for a non existant problem that will go on for many many years until someone wakes up to the futility of it and clearly demonstrates the failings of targetting 'the good guys'. By then our hobby might well be so badly diminished that no one will care anyway.

I have my number (yipee!) and it'll be attached to my models when I can be asked. Closed season for flying for me at the moment but looking forward to the better weather. Enjoy your flying, all nice and legal for now, but beware of bureaucrats bearing regulations - they haven't finished with us yet and I fear just what sort of regulatory coup de grace they'll dream up in the coming years.

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/02/2020 10:14:59

I will assume I'm one of those you refer to, I don't think you nor anyone else are reactionary, but I do think some talk/moan a lot then do nowt, the Opposite of reactionary. If you're gonna band together and take action, good luck with it, if not, It's just moaning.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us