Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

2 or 3 questions please, need some wise advice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
kc19/02/2020 11:29:42
6298 forum posts
170 photos

Most people hate soldering connectors, so it's worth mentioning that The Component Shop sell connectors with leads already attached such as this XT60. It means you could just solder the lead to lead rather than to a connector. It's not ideal to have another joint or even extra wire but it may be better than a poorly soldered joint to a connector. But the extra length may help locate the ESC in the air stream and still locate the Lipo where the weight is best used. Might be cheaper than melting a connector too.

Does anyone sell ESC with the XT60 or whatever connector you need ready soldered on? I suppose someone must......

Note also to buy Lipos with XT60 already soldered to save soldering yourself. (XT60 is very common and just a few other types already soldered on Lipos - check before ordering)

911hillclimber24/02/2020 16:32:45
159 forum posts
30 photos

Quick up-date:

After a few emails with George at 4-Max, have ordered all the drive system as he originally advised plus a few more parts I think I'll need.

There are planes on his site I've never seen before, superb choice to say the least.

Love the DPR Hyper Cub but the Belair Eros is huge but looks greay.. Must be quite a build at 84" span.

Getting ready to carve the leading edge of the Bucaneer's wings..

Everything else done. Will post some pics when together before covering.

kc24/02/2020 17:33:11
6298 forum posts
170 photos

Hyper Cub was originally rubber or CO2 powered.   The plan is on Outerzone

The Eros is actually an RCME etc plan now from Sarik, but it's also on Outerzone. Belair just laser cut parts but that seems unnecessary with such a design with simple formers and simple wing ribs.

David Boddington did a Mini Eros at about half size -42 inch -span and that plan is also on Outerzone. Originally published by RCME's publisher in a Special edition.

I expect someone here will tell you where to find any of the other of the designs shown on 4 Max list of suitable motors etc.

Edited By kc on 24/02/2020 17:35:58

911hillclimber24/02/2020 22:11:55
159 forum posts
30 photos

Interesting!

Thanks for the background.

I like the form of the Hyper Cub, unusual.

Bob Cotsford25/02/2020 12:12:03
8258 forum posts
454 photos

Eros: It's not a weekend project!

Album

911hillclimber25/02/2020 13:27:37
159 forum posts
30 photos

Lovely to see the details!

Your plane is one of the rare pictures on the internet of the design, but no details.

Didn't realise there was so much sheeting on the plane, hard work, you are obviously a master builder!

The mini version at about 1/2 scale appeals mind!

Thank you for posting that for me.

911hillclimber27/02/2020 16:27:47
159 forum posts
30 photos

p1060576.jpgp1060516.jpgp1080218.jpgp1080215.jpgMotor etc came from 4-Max today. The new motor fits the big motor's engine mount so no changes required to the fuselage. Lots of other small parts came too, so electrics next....wish me luck.

Need to finally finish the leading edge on the wing, but the undercarriage done today and the airframe is nearly done.

Thought a few pics are in order, so here they are plus a few of the Stol I converted a few years ago.

p1080214.jpg

Edited By 911hillclimber on 27/02/2020 16:28:29

911hillclimber01/03/2020 09:44:25
159 forum posts
30 photos

Pondering the motor/esc/batt installations, preferably without the need for hatches.

Is it essential to get cooling air to the esc?

I've loose fitted the parts into the nose/forward cabin space (above the undercarriage) and rough tested the CoG and the frame is level with the CoG position shown on the plan.

Rough I know but it places the LiPo in an easy access space.

Battery will have a '60' jump connection to act as an isolator on an external connector fitting. The parts from 4-Max have nice generous lead lengths so no loom extensions required.

Some pictures later.

Frank Skilbeck01/03/2020 10:03:31
4607 forum posts
101 photos

Re the ESC, it's more important to get warm air away from the ESC. You don't need much of an opening to allow some air into the fuselage but the heat from the ESC has to go somewhere.

It all depends on the model, I have a 1/4 scale ASK11 motor glider and ESC is just in the open fuselage with no cooling, but it's a large fuselage with a large volume of air to heat up and being a motor glider spends a significant part of the flight with the motor off.

Piers Bowlan01/03/2020 10:20:03
2048 forum posts
53 photos

It also depends on how hard the ESC is working and how much 'headroom' there is between the max current it can handle and what current you are putting through it. Quite simply, how 'hot' it gets or alternatively just slightly warm. More significant is motor cooling where the exit hole for the cooling air should be larger than the opening. How large is a matter of debate and again how hot your motor gets. With your models, I would say, not very hot.

911hillclimber01/03/2020 13:43:53
159 forum posts
30 photos

p1080222.jpgp1080221.jpgThanks for the advice.

I can get a good air flow across the Esc and the motor is fully ventilated, so I think I'm OK to sort out the mounting of the esc and batt parts.

A few pics of the set-up:

p1080219.jpg

Simon Chaddock01/03/2020 15:40:31
5617 forum posts
2983 photos

It is perhaps worth remembering that the motor is made of metal and circulates air within itself so the temperature you feel on its outside is representative of that within.

An ESC has no moving parts and the heat is generated within small plastic coated components so it has had to travel though a layer of plastic to even get to the heat sink. Then to make matters worse in many cases the entire ESC is covered in a thick plastic shrink wrap. smile o

The temperature you feel on the outside of that bears little resemblance to the actual temperature of the working part of the electronics even if they can withstand temperatures of over 100 C. There may be less heat generated in an ESC than a motor but its exit path is considerably more restricted.

"It pays to pay attention to ESC cooling".wink 2

911hillclimber01/03/2020 17:22:50
159 forum posts
30 photos

Thanks Simon.

The route I have is for the ESC to be facing 'flat-side-on' to a major air stream via the gap around the motor and independently, a large hole pretending to be a radiator inlet bit like a Tiger Moth and it's inverted engine. It will be stood-off from the mounting surface. Can be seen in the first picture.

Air out will be a hole under the lot in the motor nose on the underside to vent everything.

Loom all done this afternoon. The loom in the Stol was a pain a few years ago, but a fresh big iron and some rosin cored solder from 4-Max and it all came together well. All soldered points are heat shrinked to keep things safe.

Run out of 1/4" balsa sheet so yet another trip to Penn Models.

911hillclimber03/03/2020 22:47:25
159 forum posts
30 photos

Trying to buy an RX for the Spektrum DX6 radio I have so I can leave the servos etc in the Stol undisturbed.

4-Max sorting the servos for me thanks to George, but could do with a source for an RX.

Any suggestions please?

paul d04/03/2020 07:31:23
136 forum posts
8 photos

I've just installed a Spektrum AR410 rx in a vintage job, very compact and light (7 grams!), no aerials and dead easy to set up and bind.

mines mounted on the cabin bulkhead so it can "see out", think there around £23.

Addlestone models have them in stock if that helps?

Edited By paul d on 04/03/2020 07:32:51

911hillclimber04/03/2020 08:06:07
159 forum posts
30 photos

Thank you Paul, just the ticket.

I plan to mount the RX in front of the 2 control servos on the same mounting plate, high up for easy access.

Might even look like a pilot!

Will the DX6 bind with the AR410?

Graham

paul d04/03/2020 08:21:52
136 forum posts
8 photos

Yup no problem, I use a dx6i tx.

Peter Miller04/03/2020 08:43:04
10753 forum posts
1259 photos
10 articles

My Bucaneer had an interesting life.

On its maiden flight with an HP VT four stroke three of us took turns flying it and the last person got it very high and well down wind. Then the engine stopped. I only just managed to get it back to the field.

Then on another flight I had problems with the engine cutting. After about four attemps it was sorted and took off. Just one slight snag...the radio was switched off!!!

I was kanken up inthe land downers Tiger Moth to try and find it but no luck.

I reported it o the local model shop and radio station and everyone else.

Two weeks later a farmer called. His man had found it the next morning in a field and it had been in his barn ever since.

Needless to say large rewards all round.

911hillclimber04/03/2020 14:52:36
159 forum posts
30 photos

Gulp!

Never will happen to me!

Servo's and RX all on order. I think this is about all the spending done except for an iron to do the covering. Hope to find at Addlestone's or 4-Max.

As ever, everyone's help is very much appreciated!

Graham.

Don Fry04/03/2020 16:41:14
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Spending done.........I do love an optimist!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us