By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Loose trim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bruce Collinson18/02/2020 15:58:32
471 forum posts

Has anyone tried clear heat shrink covering to stop the thin pointy bits of trim from persistently lifting off? I was ironing thin pointy bits on a s/h Curare last night with the sinking inevitability that they will lift off again, deciding whether to smear Clearcoat on it and thinking about better ways.

Steve Webb lists at least three products, Oratrim, Oratex and Profilm, as transparent coverings and I'm wondering, what's to lose by covering say the whole fus side or at least a strip the depth of the trims and sticking it down really well to the existing film? If I could find out what Prymol was made of I'd think about using that first.

Probably, Oratex is textured and Oratrim is only 9.5 cm but a 2m roll of Profilm is £16 and I wonder what's to lose. On the basis that nothing seems to be new in this hobby, has anyone tried it?

BTC

Steve Balaam18/02/2020 16:33:10
117 forum posts

Have you tried "Cover Grip" paint the underside of the loose trim let it dry and then iron down works a treat.

Bruce Collinson18/02/2020 16:36:09
471 forum posts

Is that the Deluxe Materials product Steve? If so, spookily, I was just surfing their website and reviewing the videos. I like their stuff. Sounds very like Balsaloc, hadn't thought of trying it but I will, thanks.

BTC

flight118/02/2020 16:46:27
666 forum posts
36 photos

Cover grip is the same as balsaloc and heat a seal glue, the same as whats on the film . What you need is something to seal the edges.

If you have used oracover then RC colours is a very good match (also some solarfilm) , but I would seal the edges with their clear gloss available from here and other places of course

Edited By flight1 on 18/02/2020 16:47:14

Don Fry18/02/2020 17:00:35
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Clear shrink film, try searching for doculam, or laminating film. Cheap as chips, sticks well, shrink and iron temperatures as for profilm

30 micron is nice and thin

Comes in gloss, semi gloss (described as satin), and reasonably matt finish.

Can also cover aircraft with it.

Mind, for that job, I'd try a Balsaloc lookalike first. For information, the sewing industry use heat activated interlining glue. It's balsaloc rebranded. A haberdasher will have it.

Steve J18/02/2020 18:14:36
1774 forum posts
51 photos
Posted by Bruce Collinson on 18/02/2020 15:58:32:

Has anyone tried clear heat shrink covering to stop the thin pointy bits of trim from persistently lifting off? I was ironing thin pointy bits on a s/h Curare last night with the sinking inevitability that they will lift off again, deciding whether to smear Clearcoat on it and thinking about better ways.

While I have used clear film over bits of trim and coloured film that refuse to stay down, my preferred method is to seal the edges with clear nail varnish thinned with acetone.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CADMA
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us