Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Battery options

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
bhups matharu20/02/2020 10:24:25
4 forum posts

Hi Guys

I'm building my first 50cc petrol engine powered yak 54, I need some advice regarding what are the best batteries to power the RX and the ignition, any info would be much appreciated

Regards

Matt

Nigel R20/02/2020 11:11:31
3509 forum posts
539 photos

Not my field of expertise, this size, but I'd be looking at a double battery type solution on RX/servo side of things.

As for what size battery, that depends on how many servos you fit and how much power they need.

Something like

https://www.4-max.co.uk/rccskj-power-box-red.htm

Edited By Nigel R on 20/02/2020 11:13:50

flight120/02/2020 11:12:18
670 forum posts
36 photos

Well the first decision to be made is to determine the operating spec of your ignition and what voltage your servos operate at , then batteries can be chosen .

Any new larger model I am doing now I am going HV servos and ignition and life batteries as can safely be charged in the model . Also you'll need a opto isolator for the ignition. i am using a ultra IBEC from Tech-aero which has proven to be very reliable others i have had have faild so the extra few quid is worth it to me.

bhups matharu20/02/2020 12:18:27
4 forum posts

Cheers for the replies. Dle 55ra, Ignition spec is 4.8 -8.4 v

I'll be using 6 servos 4.8 -6v and rx is 4.8- 9v ...I was thinking of getting the tech aero,but couldn't find a supplier in the UK, is it correct that an ignition battery is not needed if using the tech aero?

Martin McIntosh20/02/2020 14:11:53
3151 forum posts
1133 photos

On that size of model I now use 2x LiFe 1800 (they need the nose weight) but 2x 1100 LiFe is still an overkill. Ignition is one 700 LiFe via a 5V regulator (UBEC) in my case. The Rx packs feed into a Failover switch (HK) which then provides two power inputs to the Rx if you wish to use them both. Very reliable so far.

flight120/02/2020 16:01:05
670 forum posts
36 photos

You can just use one larger Life battery with the tech -areo say a 3000mha or two smaller with a fall over switch works well. ( the tech-aero ibec is just for running the ignition with very good filters)

I order my tech aero iBec direct from manufacture with no hassles. its a pity no suppler here

(P.s don't use lipos in this case as you have standard voltage servos which won't thank you for the 8v )

Edited By flight1 on 20/02/2020 16:05:29

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us