Failsafe...no idea

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Jenkins22/02/2020 15:07:02
1371 forum posts
138 photos
Posted by Gary Manuel on 22/02/2020 12:50:37:
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 22/02/2020 12:32:05:

Many people think the B is a licence to fly in front of the public. It is nothing of the sort. What gaining a B does is to help you to fly an aircraft while you are under full control of it at all times. That is, that you can fly in a straight line parallel to the flight line in use (surprisingly difficult for many pilots), conduct a manoeuvre at a place of your choosing and not where the aircraft happens to be, and to take off and land in a straight line even in a cross wind. The added bonus is that you are less likely to resort to a black bin bag! It also helps to to think about what you want to achieve in each flight before you get airborne. All good reasons for training to fly the B to a pass standard - nothing to do with flashy low level stuff whether 3D or other!

Having a B certificate helps you to do all that? Wow! Who'd have thought that a piece of paper could do all that?

Here's me thinking that it was skill and practice that helped the most wink

Trick is to have read my last sentence Gary - training! 😉

Foxfan22/02/2020 15:22:45
912 forum posts
7 photos

I can't comment as my experience is so limited compared with you guys. I have so far managed parallel, level flight without any great effort and figures of eight with the "cross" at the centre of the field, so I am hopeful of a reasonable path to an A, then it will just be personal goals of practice and the occasional aero, rather than submit myself to any further inspection as the people who do that in our club are not those I like to be with. Just how most clubs seem to be. But the guys who are always there when I go are a fun bunch who may not be official instructors, but are by far the best at exactly that, combining instruction with encouragement and correction when needed. I do what I'm told and learn by it and that works for me. Different folks, different strokes. There are regular fliers there who have never yet come close to a landing, in three years membership! I admire their tenacity, but I really don't have that kind of patience!

And, as a lifelong modelmaker I can repair anything better than most, I just prefer not to have to if at all possible!

Martin

Martin McIntosh22/02/2020 20:45:21
3144 forum posts
1133 photos

Oh, I thought it was another well known internet seller.

Now I know that they supposedly were Tower Pro, I think that you will find they are poor copies. Never buy servos on ebay as this situation is more likely than not. I got caught out the same with two types of TP, mg 16 and mg90`s. One sort ran to one end due to inferior material connecting the pot. centre and if I manually stopped the others they would not restart without Tx stick input. Indistinguishable from the real thing.

Buy extention leads from HobbyKing, they are excellent quality and exactly the same ones which you can pay a fortune for in this country.

Steve J22/02/2020 21:28:18
1769 forum posts
51 photos

What gaining a B does is to help you to fly an aircraft while you are under full control of it at all times. That is, that you can fly in a straight line parallel to the flight line in use (surprisingly difficult for many pilots), conduct a manoeuvre at a place of your choosing and not where the aircraft happens to be, and to take off and land in a straight line even in a cross wind. The added bonus is that you are less likely to resort to a black bin bag! It also helps to to think about what you want to achieve in each flight before you get airborne. All good reasons for training to fly the B to a pass standard - nothing to do with flashy low level stuff whether 3D or other!

I have flown with a few 'B' cert holders and I think that this is complete nonsense. All that having a 'B' cert means is that one or two people were prepared to sign a bit of paper.

Michael Barclay22/02/2020 21:47:41
89 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 22/02/2020 20:45:21:

Oh, I thought it was another well known internet seller.

Now I know that they supposedly were Tower Pro, I think that you will find they are poor copies. Never buy servos on ebay as this situation is more likely than not. I got caught out the same with two types of TP, mg 16 and mg90`s. One sort ran to one end due to inferior material connecting the pot. centre and if I manually stopped the others they would not restart without Tx stick input. Indistinguishable from the real thing.

Buy extention leads from HobbyKing, they are excellent quality and exactly the same ones which you can pay a fortune for in this country.

It would be good to know names of all duff sellers on ebay Martin. I agree that stuff bought on Hobby King has never let me down although I make up my own extentions to be safe.If you don't want to name these people on line I would be grateful for a personal message. Thanks Mike.

Foxfan22/02/2020 22:30:26
912 forum posts
7 photos

Mike,

the people are in East London and called Happiness Team.. Although their e-mail address is skykey1179@gmail.com I am hoping they will be good and send me working ones or my money back. Hobbyking are not much dearer, so how do we know their's are any different? And what about Banggood? A chum at the club buys all his stuff from them as they are seriously cheap and never has trouble. I'm just a bit wary of buying Chinese currently with their problems and with HK seeming to be having business problems. Half their website says "back order". My servo tester came from their English base (which I hadn't realised they had) and the Storm Rx. came from China in a very short time. I was quite impressed.

I am about to send the above mob a few stills of the servos and the damage caused by removing them.

Martin

Michael Barclay22/02/2020 22:49:19
89 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by Foxfan on 22/02/2020 22:30:26:

Mike,

the people are in East London and called Happiness Team.. Although their e-mail address is skykey1179@gmail.com I am hoping they will be good and send me working ones or my money back. Hobbyking are not much dearer, so how do we know their's are any different? And what about Banggood? A chum at the club buys all his stuff from them as they are seriously cheap and never has trouble. I'm just a bit wary of buying Chinese currently with their problems and with HK seeming to be having business problems. Half their website says "back order". My servo tester came from their English base (which I hadn't realised they had) and the Storm Rx. came from China in a very short time. I was quite impressed.

I am about to send the above mob a few stills of the servos and the damage caused by removing them.

martin.

Thanks for the reply Martin. It's always good to kow who to watch out for.

As for Hobby King I have had all of my servos from them, at least 50, and no duds. The servos I use in my foamies are the HXT 900. There are over 5600 reviews of these servos and they get 5 stars, Hobby King state that although clones can be bought on ebay they do not have the same electronics.These reviews are genuine as some products do get some poor reviews so I always read the reviews carefully.

Mike.

Foxfan22/02/2020 22:54:04
912 forum posts
7 photos

Mike, the only reason I didn't used Hobbyking was because I'd been reading bad things about Hobbyking's latest dealings, so decided to try ebay, who also have a review system. If I can find the same thing on Banggood, I might try them. They have an excellent customer service reputation. And don't tell her I told you this, but my dear wife says the bras she bought from Banggood were the best made she's ever had...and she used to actually make bras for a living!

Martin

Martin McIntosh23/02/2020 09:12:48
3144 forum posts
1133 photos

I too have never had a duff servo from HK and the same goes for extention leads although I normally make my own but I often buy the ones with safety clips and pinch them for mine.

I did get a u/s four stroke petrol and an expensive ESC but they were refunded/exchanged with no fuss.

I do think that a naming and shaming section on this forum would be a good idea so that the bad boys can be brought to attention but it may ruffle a few feathers.

Don Fry23/02/2020 09:32:34
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Bangood, I note, sell a Spectrum AR8000. Or so it says. An obsolete receiver, much copied, and being sold at pretty much the fake price, from a source other than an Horizon Hobby dealership. I don't believe that, and I wonder what else is knockoff stuff.

Peter Jenkins23/02/2020 10:44:07
1371 forum posts
138 photos
Posted by Steve J on 22/02/2020 21:28:18:

What gaining a B does is to help you to fly an aircraft while you are under full control of it at all times. That is, that you can fly in a straight line parallel to the flight line in use (surprisingly difficult for many pilots), conduct a manoeuvre at a place of your choosing and not where the aircraft happens to be, and to take off and land in a straight line even in a cross wind. The added bonus is that you are less likely to resort to a black bin bag! It also helps to to think about what you want to achieve in each flight before you get airborne. All good reasons for training to fly the B to a pass standard - nothing to do with flashy low level stuff whether 3D or other!

I have flown with a few 'B' cert holders and I think that this is complete nonsense. All that having a 'B' cert means is that one or two people were prepared to sign a bit of paper.

Steve, I'd agree with you as regards those who gain a B then do nothing with the skills they have learned. It's a bit like an MoT - good on the day it is achieved. There is nothing to tell you about the current B holders flying capability. I did suggest to the ASRC that they offer a B(current) rating that would say something about the holders' current ability, but that was turned down. In my little niche of competition aerobatics, unless you practice regularly, skills fade reduces the scores you can achieve which either leads to an increase in practice to improve or else giving up competition flying.

I have seen some pilots who hold a B but who struggle to fly an A schedule! That's a comment on them and not the B scheme.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us