Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Covering conundrum

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
fly boy324/02/2020 21:33:15
3628 forum posts
22 photos

Hi all, I have made a start covering my latest build. I have always tried to use one piece of covering per section. Bottom, sides ,and top of fus. My fus is 36 inches by 4 inches, 144 square inches. My building area is small, very small. Would it be considered not best practice to use 2x18 inch lengths of covering which would make it a lot easier for me. Plan B, gather all together and work in pals house lol. Cheers

Allan Bennett25/02/2020 03:18:56
1602 forum posts
44 photos

It is certainly desirable to use as large single pieces as practical, mainly because joins are always a weak point. If you must have joins, make sure the overlap is front piece over back piece so that there's less chance of the wind getting under it and opening up the join.

Your plan B is to be recommended though, since you presumably have covering material that can do it in one.

Don Fry25/02/2020 07:10:08
4557 forum posts
54 photos

I wouldn't worry too much, plenty of aircraft have 2colour panels.

And some balsa loc, or white glue, or haberdashers interlining glue in the join all help. (All applied, allowed to dry, before the second piece is irioned on). All can be cleaned off with acetone to leave a clean join.

fly boy325/02/2020 22:34:42
3628 forum posts
22 photos

Thanks both, will give a go and send some pics. Cheers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us