Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Eric's fury.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martian25/06/2020 20:45:38
2540 forum posts
1169 photos

Hi, Eric, your Fury is certainly the bee's knees, If you like I can print you a pair of Vickers machine guns .as said the barrel jacket originally was water-cooled this was found to be not needed due to the cooler air at altitude and slipstream air but the jacket was still needed for the barrel recoil mechanism incidentally the gun barrel exits at the bottom of the jacket.

Eric Robson25/06/2020 20:58:17
288 forum posts
50 photos

Thank you Martian, I would appreciate that. and thank you for the help you have given me without that there may not have been any pictures up loaded. I will P.M. you with my address. It has now had 10 flights I am working on a short video that a fellow club member took on my phone , at the moment I can put background music on and text but I can't get the wind noise and voices off.

Cheers Eric.

Martian25/06/2020 21:09:57
2540 forum posts
1169 photos

I will get on it tomorrow

Martian26/06/2020 18:38:13
2540 forum posts
1169 photos

Hi Eric so sorry mate I was on the wrong tack re the guns I have been enlightened by Danny and further searching the Fury was fitted with the MKIII guns which was stripped of the water jacket and the recoil modified I don.t think I have the stl files for that MK

Eric Robson26/06/2020 21:22:43
288 forum posts
50 photos

Not to worry. Martian, there is no way they would be seen when the plane is in the air, where it spends more time these days. I have flown it every day. You may be interested to read my posting which I am putting on Danny's thread.

Cheers Eric.

Martian26/06/2020 21:50:15
2540 forum posts
1169 photos

Yes Eric i have been following well done last to start first to fly 😛 . I have been discussing the guns with Danny . I can still print the version with the jacket if you want

Eric Robson27/06/2020 10:06:38
288 forum posts
50 photos

Thanks Martian, as it is not 100% scale those guns should be OK. I wrote about the strut popping out during a flight on Danny's Thread because I think more people read his postings. I have not had time to check over the plane to find out why this happened but will when my family go back home on Sunday. Cheers Eric.

Martian27/06/2020 11:44:46
2540 forum posts
1169 photos

The strut popping out is a flaw that others have experienced and is why I intend to redo mine to enable them to be locked in place

Eric Robson29/06/2020 10:45:55
288 forum posts
50 photos

final_moment(6).jpgA pair of flying photo's taken from a video, sorry about the black and white one it is zoomed in on and lost focus. final_moment(2).jpg

Martian29/06/2020 10:50:46
2540 forum posts
1169 photos

Excellent Eric could almost be the full-size Fury

Eric Robson29/06/2020 10:56:19
288 forum posts
50 photos

Thanks Martian, It needs a pilot, I ordered one supposed to be 1/6 th. scale it is too small so it will go in my Warbirds replicas Spitfire which I am about to start on.

Cheers Eric.

Danny Fenton29/06/2020 12:10:52
9649 forum posts
4458 photos

That looks fabulous Eric, well done. I look forward to the video

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson01/07/2020 14:50:41
288 forum posts
50 photos

Thanks Danny, after checking over the Fury the only conclusion is that the rigging slackened off and needed re - tensioning. I done this and took it out for a few flights. Due to the rain I only managed one, it flew well despite a rising wind ( it had been calm till I reached the field) I brought it in after 5 mins. as the wind was picking up, a nice landing meant nothing should have changed. All the wires were in tension so I can only put it down to wire stretch and settling in, a bit like tuning a guitar which needs regular re tuning . I still have that washout appearance on the lower wing which I think could only be taken out by making the rear strut longer but this would mean taking it apart as it would terminate further back. As it is the Fury fly's nice very stable and even in the strong wind it landed smooth .

Cheers Eric.

Danny Fenton01/07/2020 16:05:34
9649 forum posts
4458 photos

That is great to Hear Eric, are all the soldered joints okay? no signs of distress?

I have just written my column and mentioned your clevis method, allowing them to be adjusted without removal, very neat. I have given you full credit of course sir

Nothing to show on mine, I have spent a couple of days programming the Tx, but I am struggling with some of the things that I am trying to do. Might have to call in the big guns, and "call a friend"

Its quite a thin wing section so perhaps that's how it penetrates the wind so well?

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson01/07/2020 21:26:25
288 forum posts
50 photos

Thanks Danny, these new fangled Tx's can be confusing I don't use a quarter of the things in mine but at least when I go to the field I can get on with flying instead of playing about with programmes. One of the best flyers in our club still uses an old Futaba 35 and still manages great flights with scale aircraft including twins.He doesn't do electrics either. If I make another biplane I will silver solder the rigging ad look into improving on it .

Cheers Eric.

Danny Fenton01/07/2020 22:21:37
9649 forum posts
4458 photos

In fairness I am asking the tx to do something quite unusual and it has taken a bit to get my head around how to do it. If I wanted it to behave like an old 35 mhz then it would take moments. I finally figured it out tonight. There is just some telemetry data that needs laying out on the screens how I like them and we are ready to fly. It will e a while before that happens though I dare say.

Got a power panel to wire up, but still waiting for the microswitches to arrive so I can do that.

The reeves rigging bits are very good indeed. I will use them again.

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson02/07/2020 20:55:05
288 forum posts
50 photos

Well it happened again the dreaded strut popping out this time after coming out of a loop. It nosed over on the previous landing (pilot error ) after righting it I taxied it back to the pits felt the wings and rigging all seemed well then after 5 mins flying a strut popped out fortunately just off the strip. I had to loosen the rigging to get it back in, as it happens after loosing the strut it flew on a full circuit and landed perfectly. I am looking at soldering another 3 mm on the end of the locating tags.

Eric r,

Danny Fenton02/07/2020 22:34:50
9649 forum posts
4458 photos

Hi Eric, that's bad news. Wont the extensions hit the spars?

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson03/07/2020 07:44:32
288 forum posts
50 photos

Yes Danny I have just looked at the drawing and there is not a lot of room to extend them. I have been comparing the tags on the Bryant Bulldog plan and they are 6mm long compared with 3mm on the Fury. The Bulldog tags are fastened to the wings and fit in slots in the struts, this is easy to do on the Bulldog as the struts flare out at the ends. I am going to remove the struts on the Fury this morning and see if I can get any extra on the tag before it hits the strut.

Cheers Eric.

Eric Robson03/07/2020 11:08:16
288 forum posts
50 photos

Hi Danny and all, the small brass fittings on Ernie's etching have a slightly shorter tag than the double v strut fitting. I have soldered 1mm piece of brass on the end of the small tags and after filing it down to just under a mm. it fits in the slot. weather this is enough to hold it in remains to be seen as the forecast is not good for the next few days.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!